POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber - Page 5

POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RockBottom .... I'm not going to find myself in one of those situations. ... That's an interesting statement. One of the reasons ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Like Tree699Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    .... I'm not going to find myself in one of those situations. ...
    That's an interesting statement.

One of the reasons we (or at least most of us) carry is because we don't know the kind of situations we will find ourselves in at any give moment.

Just two days ago at Walmart, while shopping for an outdoor thermometer to hang outside my kitchen window I heard a man scream, "ARE YOU BREAKING UP WITH ME?" there was some subsequent unintelligible words spoken and then, "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE DOING THIS HERE?!?!"

As I started to push my cart away, trying to go the opposite direction of the shouting, around the corner stepped a woman and a very angry man following her.

Thankfully they just fought it out down the aisle and presumably out of the store, but the point here is that sometimes "those situations" find you!

As it's been said a hundred times already, civilian encounters are usually very fast and very close.

Again, I really don't care if someone else chooses to carry without a round in the chamber. I don't think it's the right choice but that's the great thing about being Americans: I can disagree with someone and voice my opinion and they can still do whatever they want.

If people are looking for just one more stop between themselves and pulling the trigger most would say a good alternate to having an empty chamber would be an external safety and I can't tell you how many debates I've read that even an external safety can/will slow you down too much in a fight.

I've done quite a few Force-on-Force trainings and one thing that is always driven home every single time is that when someone is rushing after you (whether it be just coming with open hands or a trainer knife) it becomes a WHOLE other ball park then when you're drilling in front of a stationary target. And when you do group shooter scenarios and you are just sitting there, actively waiting for the gunfire to erupt but not knowing who is going to start shooting, and it turns out to be the guy sitting next to you, you DO NOT have time to even draw and shoot before you're looking at needed medical attention yourself.

If one thinks it can't happen to him or that he won't find himself in "those situations" then why even carry a gun? Those are the situations we carry a gun for... the ones we'd never imagine we'd be in.

With modern designs I see no reason not to carry with one in the chamber. In the unlikely event I should ever need to use my weapon I see no reason to make it any more difficult than it will already be.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

For those who believe they will "never" find themselves in a situation or have the clairvoyant abilities to see danger coming and think they will have time to rack a round---do you take into consideration that the bad guys ALWAYS get a vote...and they pick the time, place, and manner of attack so as to keep you off-guard? That there could be more than one assailant? That your strong side could be injured? Have you tried to any force-on-force training to prove your abilities to fight off a BG, draw from your weak side, rack a round and engage??

We spend hours and hours of training how to shoot, grip, sight picture, squeeze....breathe and assess....reloading, etc. But how many do FoF and work on the presentation under stress utilizing their preferred carry method? What did you experience? Now what did you learn?

We all have good ideas--and they are superior to what anyone else thinks. But have you tested your idea against a simulated reality? Just as folks who carry unloaded assert it works for them--the real question is, does this carry method succeed in reality? I'm not talking about Israeli ninjas....I'm talking about you--the normal Joe or Jane...
    TexasTerri likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If BG is willing to risk their life to kill you you are dead, your loaded glock under your shirt means nothing to someone who truly wants to kill you and if they are willing to spend the rest of their life in jail they will kill you. If BG is specifically targeting you in a crowd, mall , store whatever you are dead unless you are lucky and regardless how good you think you are , you are dead.
    BG will conceal carry a gun too but instead of thinking should he shoot/ is it legal to shoot/ he just shoots and you are dead.

You boys and girls do it the way you feel is right but I ain't taking ANY chance of my gun going off in the Chuck E Cheese and then trying to explain that to a cop or the gun paranoid side of the fence who will use my case for the rest of their lives as an example of why we should not be able to carry.

Oh also, Thank you to all the Vets of the past and present, We owe it all to you in America.
    mr.stuart likes this.

carry locked m1911 only way one in the tube.
    God Bless our troops,Pass the ammo
    carry guns,g30,g39
    1911,colt defender 90 / .45
    OLD F##T W/ .45:
    my avater is part of the reason i feel the way i do.

Quote Originally Posted by greenchicken View Post
    You boys and girls do it the way you feel is right but I ain't taking ANY chance of my gun going off in the Chuck E Cheese and then trying to explain that to a cop or the gun paranoid side of the fence who will use my case for the rest of their lives as an example of why we should not be able to carry.
    - The only way that your gun is going to go off at Chuck E Cheese is if you pull the trigger. Buy a proper holster and keep your finger off the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - The only way that your gun is going to go off at Chuck E Cheese is if you pull the trigger. Buy a proper holster and keep your finger off the trigger.
    I know you are right... You ever met a dude named Murphy?

Quote Originally Posted by greenchicken View Post
    I know you are right... You ever met a dude named Murphy?
    - Yes, but a properly holstered firearm going off isn't on my list of worries. There are plenty of other things to worry about. To each, their own.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Yes, but a properly holstered firearm going off isn't on my list of worries. There are plenty of other things to worry about. To each, their own.
    Well I own everything I have and I don't do credit so I have quite a chunk of change and I am sure I could afford any completely 100% fool proof holster on the market and if you would point me to that website and guarantee I would be obliged to you sir.

GM
    I carry always chambered.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Nope.

The odds of me needing my gun in self defense are very slim.
    The odds of me needing my gun in self defense .5 seconds faster, even more slim.
    Human error has shown time and time again that no matter how careful you think you are, stuff happens and you realize you are only human and the gun is only something humans create.
    Then why do you carry a gun at all? It would be much easier - and cheaper - if you did not

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    In my opinion, not carrying with a round chambered is just a small notch above not carrying at all. If you are not confident enough in your weapon and/or your safety habits to carry chambered you may want to consider more experience with your gun or some safety/handling training. You may want to read scenarios number 1 and 2 on this website as well about the possible outcome of carrying chambered vs not chambered....
    I agree 100%.

... I've seen the scenarios of jewelry stores and liquor stores being robbed but I'm not going to find myself in one of those situations ...
    But ... if one of those situations finds you?
    CIBMike and BamaT like this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

My SD gun is always chambered. Always.

I've accidentally tried to shoot two different trapped raccoons with both my .22's with the safety still on. (well I know the safety works....) That's a low stress situation. I will NEVER carry a SD gun that has a manual safety to fiddle with or that I need to chamber one in the heat of the moment.
    Cyrano likes this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I used to carry without one in the chamber because I thought I was taking an extra precaution - I wanted to be safe. This was all, however, before I became aware of the Tula drill. I'm sure most of you, if not all of you, know that an average man can cover 21 feet in 1 1/2 seconds. In this short amount of time, he can stab you with a knife faster than most, if not all, people can draw their gun out of their holster and shoot. Can you imagine how much longer it would take you if you have to draw and then rack your semi before you can shoot your assailant?

I buy good holsters and I practice proper firearm safety. My finger is never in the trigger well unless I want to pull the trigger and make it go bang. My Glock has three internal safety mechanisms. It's not going to go off if I'm properly handling the firearm - it is safe, even with one in the chamber. It is your decision as to if you carry with one in the chamber or not. You will also, however, be the one that has to pay the consequences for the decisions you make. I hope that no one ever has to draw their firearm and use it. If they do, I hope all turns out well. Time is an unforgiving factor and it may be the one factor that can put the odds in your favor.

DCG
    greenchicken likes this.

gtv
    I always carry with one in the chamber. My LCR and PF-9 have no safeties to worry with, but if I carry the 1911, the thumb safety is engaged... it is easy enough to disengage as I am drawing.

It's not so much safety habits or confidence in the weapon for me Bumper. For me, it's that all important decision to shoot. Once the bullet leaves the barrel, there are no do-overs. You have to live with the decision that you made when you pulled the trigger. That extra split second that it takes to chamber a round is one more breath to identify the target and to decide if this is a situation where I want to use deadly force...
    Maybe it is just me, but before my pistol ever comes out of concealment or clears leather, I will already have identified my target as someone deserving of deadly force...
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

I would not be comfortable not having one in the chamber. For me, the pistol is not a negotiating tool. I am not going to draw my weapon in an attempt to get someone to backdown. If my weapon leaves the holster, I would be because I am ready to use it. That is how I look at it, but I am interested to hear how every one else feels about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Nope.

The odds of me needing my gun in self defense are very slim.
    The odds of me needing my gun in self defense .5 seconds faster, even more slim.
    Human error has shown time and time again that no matter how careful you think you are, stuff happens and you realize you are only human and the gun is only something humans create.

These are my thoughts exactly.

Happy Memorial Day. God Bless our troops and our country and the 2A. It is WONDERFUL that we (as private citizens) have the right to CC, and to carry on this discussion.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links