POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber - Page 8

POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock is always loaded, chambered. The S&W .38 Bodyguard is ready to fire. I didn't see why I should carry my Glock unchambered. I have ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 8 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
Like Tree699Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

Glock is always loaded, chambered. The S&W .38 Bodyguard is ready to fire. I didn't see why I should carry my Glock unchambered. I have a good holster and made a point of learning to handle the gun with my finger away from the trigger... from the onset.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Without one chambered, it's a CLUB!
    Quote Originally Posted by markdido View Post
    +1

A really expensive, pretty club, but a club nonetheless.
    Or a good eye-poker!

___

Thanks to everyone for your participation!

Keep 'em coming.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Unloaded Guns KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Oh No another trick question!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Chambered, from day one.
    "Evil prospers when good men and women do nothing" - British citizen

Ex Member
    Neither. I carry wheel guns.

Never forget the three zones of concealed carry: before, during, and after.

Regarding the “after”…

I would NEVER carry a Glock with a round in the chamber (Condition Zero)—which is your only choice if you chamber a round (which is why I NEVER carry a Glock). The Glock owner’s manual specifically warns against doing this for civilians (they call it, "ready to fire") and therefore the Glock is NOT courtroom (civil) safe should you be sued for wrongful death or excessive use of force, to name but two of far too many possibilities.

I also NEVER do “Israeli Carry” (Condition 3—fully magazine, empty chamber) which is why I carry my Kahr CM9 "hot". I haven’t found any gotchas in their manual regarding Condition Zero carry (and the longer trigger pull is much less of a legal liability IMHO).

Ref: Glock Manual, p. 15, bottom left (in red):
    CAUTION:
    DO NOT CARRY THE PISTOL IN THE READY TO FIRE CONDITION. THIS IS NOT THE RECOMMENDED SAFE CARRYING METHOD FOR CIVILIAN USE.

And no, your opinion of what Glock means by this does NOT count. That's up to your jury to decide.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I'm a little confused by the post above.

So.. Q-Tip brand says explicitly to NOT stick them in your ear. This can cause hearing loss, ect, ect, ect. Legal liability mumbo jumbo. Do you use Q-Tips?

Anyways, why would you carry your Kahr "hot", but not carry a glock "hot"?

FYI, I carry empty chambered, but I have expressed my reasoning in other threads. I've just never heard anything about glock recommending a carry style, before. Not that I would feel pressured to listen to them, anyways.
    CIBMike likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    The Kahr has a DAO trigger, a nice and smooth one, but much longer and harder than a Glock.

I carry my PM9, XDM and CZ P-01 ready to go for the following reasons:

1. PM9 is DAO as mentioned above.
    2. XDM has a grip safety.
    3. P-01 is DA/SA with a decocker, I carry in DA mode.

Quote Originally Posted by 45super View Post
    Never forget the three zones of concealed carry: before, during, and after.

Regarding the “after”…

I would NEVER carry a Glock with a round in the chamber (Condition Zero)—which is your only choice if you chamber a round (which is why I NEVER carry a Glock). The Glock owner’s manual specifically warns against doing this for civilians (they call it, "ready to fire") and therefore the Glock is NOT courtroom (civil) safe should you be sued for wrongful death or excessive use of force, to name but two of far too many possibilities.

I also NEVER do “Israeli Carry” (Condition 3—fully magazine, empty chamber) which is why I carry my Kahr CM9 "hot". I haven’t found any gotchas in their manual regarding Condition Zero carry (and the longer trigger pull is much less of a legal liability IMHO).

Ref: Glock Manual, p. 15, bottom left (in red):
    CAUTION:
    DO NOT CARRY THE PISTOL IN THE READY TO FIRE CONDITION. THIS IS NOT THE RECOMMENDED SAFE CARRYING METHOD FOR CIVILIAN USE.

And no, your opinion of what Glock means by this does NOT count. That's up to your jury to decide.
    Uh....wut?

Please cite case law where you assert the Glock is "NOT courtroom (civil) safe"...after all, according to you, it's up to a jury to decide. So...what have they decided in the past in context of the facts of a court case?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I'm a little confused by the post above.

So.. Q-Tip brand says explicitly to NOT stick them in your ear. This can cause hearing loss, ect, ect, ect. Legal liability mumbo jumbo. Do you use Q-Tips?

Anyways, why would you carry your Kahr "hot", but not carry a glock "hot"?

FYI, I carry empty chambered, but I have expressed my reasoning in other threads. I've just never heard anything about glock recommending a carry style, before. Not that I would feel pressured to listen to them, anyways.
    I thought that was clear. Glock says not to; Kahr's manual makes no mention of it (that I could find), so I'm not working against the manufacturer's explicit instructions. The trial lawyer--and the family of the guy you shot (they're suing you)--will want to know if you followed Glocks instructions. And, regarding Q-tips, they're not suing me because I shot one of their employees, hello!
    Civil_Response likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Uh....wut?

Please cite case law where you assert the Glock is "NOT courtroom (civil) safe"...after all, according to you, it's up to a jury to decide. So...what have they decided in the past in context of the facts of a court case?
    #1: That's your JOB! I don't have to justify my choices to you or anybody.

#2: Uh, they're not suing Glock. They're suing you--a reckless gun-nut who can't follow instructions (or some such claim).

Did you know Glock got sued in small claims court over reliability issues--and lost. No? Well, you won't know about every case where a CCW holder has lost in civil court either, right? That's why you have to think about these things ahead of time and not become that dreaded, "test case."

This just goes to show how little people think about what happens AFTER the smoke clears. You'd better.

In closing, when I lived in Vacaville, CA, I looked into getting a permit there. Of course, they are NOT a “shall issue” state. One of the requirements was 1 million in liability insurance. Yes, that's in case you get sued in civil court.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Hey 45. Don't take this the wrong way, because I see your reasoning for not buying a glock, and not carrying it with a round chambered - as you stated.

What people are questioning is... Has this ever been an actual issue in a courtroom? Of all the things to be worried about after having to shoot someone in self defense, are there known cases in which people were prosecuted based on the manufacturers suggestions on carrying a gun chambered or not? Of all the things to be prosecuted with, and glock being the major civilian supplier of polymer auto firearms, has this issue ever arisen in a court of law? It is fine that you have an opinion of this issue. Do what makes you comfortable. What people like myself want to know is whether or not there is factual information to back your assertions on this issue. People on the forums like to see facts. After all, these are life and death issues that we are talking about.

This forum is full of statistics, court cases, and most importantly - info on self defense and saving your own tail from a BG. I can assure you that the majority of people on this forum definitely do consider what may or may not happen to them after a SD shooting incident. Honestly, I have never heard of having a round in the chamber being issue. Heck, look at almost every revolver on the planet. DA and ready to fire. It seems that glock might lose some of its fan-base if this has been a cited issue in a court of law. I'm no lawyer, though. If someone is, I would like to hear their opinions on this.

Quote Originally Posted by 45super View Post
    #1: That's your JOB! I don't have to justify my choices to you or anybody.

#2: Uh, they're not suing Glock. They're suing you--a reckless gun-nut who can't follow instructions (or some such claim).

Did you know Glock got sued in small claims court over reliability issues--and lost. No? Well, you won't know about every case where a CCW holder has lost in civil court either, right? That's why you have to think about these things ahead of time and not become that dreaded, "test case."

This just goes to show how little people think about what happens AFTER the smoke clears. You'd better.

In closing, when I lived in Vacaville, CA, I looked into getting a permit there. Of course, they are NOT a “shall issue” state. One of the requirements was 1 million in liability insurance. Yes, that's in case you get sued in civil court.
    You made the assertion as fact...I'm calling you out. Show me. Show me where someone has been charged or sued for carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber.

Secondly, before you jump in here and start thumping people and assuming "how little people think about what happens after the smoke clears"--if I were you, I'd post less and read more. You've been here 5 minutes making grand assertions. I'm asking for proof in the form of court cases where you prove your assertion is true.

Otherwise, you quickly gain the reputation of being "THAT" guy...

By the way--welcome to DC.com. We are polite and respectful of each other, but if you're going to state something is "fact"--be prepared to prove it. You'd be surprised how much we talk about what happens after the smoke clears...so before you assume what the rest of us do/don't do or consider/don't consider...maybe you should get to know us. Meanwhile, you're starting off with a credibility issue.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    DAO semi's, always with one in the chamber.

Page 8 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links