POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

This is a discussion on POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I have not been able to find a simple poll (recent or not) of members regarding your choice on keeping a round chambered or ...

View Poll Results: How do you carry your SD Pistol? With a round in the Chamber - No round in chamber

Voters
2590. You may not vote on this poll
  • With a round in chamber

2,324 89.73%
  • No round in chamber

266 10.27%
Page 1 of 94 123451151 ... LastLast
Like Tree698Likes

Thread: POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar

Question POLL - Do you carry: With a round chambered - No round in chamber

As I have not been able to find a simple poll (recent or not) of members regarding your choice on keeping a round chambered or not. (please forgive me if I've missed anything from the last 365 days!) Please vote at the top of this post!

There are plenty of discussions, but I am just looking for a simple count.

After answering, please feel free to expound upon your choice by giving details such as your pistol's usual condition (0 ~ 4), its trigger type (DA/SA, etc.) & so on.

Thanks much!
    Last edited by ArkhmAsylm; May 27th, 2011 at 11:27 PM. Reason: * clarification, emphasis *
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I always carry in good holsters and with a round chambered. My handguns are DAO.
    oneshot, GunTrooper and rugerista like this.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

My semi autos are....2 Glocks, 1 Beretta 92FS and 1 XD9. All of these are carried with chambered rounds.
    love_my_glock likes this.

I always have one chambered. Its one less thing to worry about dealing with if I had to use it. Besides, my holsters are in working order. I make sure of it since I carry appendix.
    pittypat21 and jakmak52 like this.

Always chambered...ALWAYS!!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Nope.

The odds of me needing my gun in self defense are very slim.
    The odds of me needing my gun in self defense .5 seconds faster, even more slim.
    Human error has shown time and time again that no matter how careful you think you are, stuff happens and you realize you are only human and the gun is only something humans create.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Round chambered; trigger finger disciplined.
    jem102, mano3, bamfsig45 and 7 others like this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

The chamber is 'full'...is there another way?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    - I've borrowed my post from another thread as it now seems more appropriate here than there - apologies if this is against the rules! -
    I am currently awaiting response to my application for my Permit to Carry, but I do carry in my home & on my property without a round chambered. I've done my best to stay prepared for the slim chance that I'd need to use the weapon, keeping in mind that I'd need that extra second to pull the slide & be ready for the next step.

When I began to consider a weapon purchase, I decided to start out right & take a basic handgun familiarization course (convinciing my wife to join me). I also took a membership at my local range & used my free pistol rentals to help me decide what weapon would suit my needs & start the process of proper handling & training. Since purchasing my first weapons about a year ago, I've always kept a full magazine of my SD ammo in the pistols along with a full back-up mag or so, but didn't want to keep a round chambered because I wasn't sure I'd be able to practice safe handling. I felt that as long as I prepared for the extra second that was needed to chamber a round, that my SD plan was reasonable.

For the first 4 months or so I carried sporadically in & around my home with my Remora no clip holster, but at times found it uncomfortable to do so without wearing a belt on my shorts during warmer weather. When the weapon wasn't on me it would be holstered & high atop a shelf nearby, where I figured that it was at least available if needed. I made sure to go to the range at least monthly to improve on my handling & trigger skills, & become more comfortable with my weapons' operation. Sometime during the fall I purchased an affordable Bianchi IWB clip-on (Professional 100) & soon after made the decision to carry in & around the home full-time, because you never truly know if you'll have time to get to a weapon when you need it - but I still didn't feel completely safe keeping a round chambered.

After a year of much thought & contemplation, I recently took the required training & applied for my permit to carry. During that year I've spent many (many) hours at the range, I've transferred my weapons from the storage safe to my at-ready safe & holster multiple times a day - clearing the weapons each time I did so, kept them clean & in working order, & throughout have not made the mistake of putting finger on trigger when it wasn't called for.

We do not have children of our own & my weapon is concealed (holstered) on me or secured. I have now come to the conclusion that the extra second needed to chamber a round is no longer reasonable. When my permit hits my mailbox & I start carrying full-time, I will trust myself to do what I feel is right for me & my state of preparedness. My weapons will be at the ready...with a round chambered.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Absolutely always. In my particular experience, a decade of carrying a long arm in the field (hunting) with a round in the chamber was good practice
    SuperRuger101 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

One in the chamber. Springfield XDM, S&W M&P Sig P229(duty carry) :DA and DA/SA.
    BowHuntingFool likes this.

Ark, your self-analysis of the topic is very thorough and introspective. I applaud your attention to safety and scenario when it comes to 'having one in the pipe'. Very good idea to practice carrying around your property or anywhere else you can do so legally. I have and will always carried with one chambered, but respect those who do not.

For me, if a SD scenario unfolds it will do so VERY fast and I will not have time to chamber a round. One less thing to worry about......

I mostly carry a Springfield XD sc9 in a Minotaur MTAC and sometimes a S&W 642 in a DeSantis Softuck or Don Hume 715 open top. Best of luck with permit once it arrives!

Scott
    jem102 likes this.

RKM
    I agree that chances of ever needing a firearm for self defense is slim.... so why even carry if the chances are that slim? If you're going to carry, and that slim chance ever happens that you do need it, you're not going to want to fumble around. Hell, I don't even like carrying firearms with external safeties. If you're carrying a weapon in a proper holster and you leave it put and don't play with it, you won't have any problem's. Almost all ND's are caused by people fumbling around with their firearm when they shouldn't be, cleaning an "unloaded" firearm, carrying without a holster or even unholstering it to show a friend and not clearing it. I'm not against showing a friend my Glock if they wish to see it and are curious as long as it's not in public. But ALWAYS clear the weapon. Treat a loaded firearm like a rattlesnake. You shouldn't be afraid of a loaded gun, but you MUST have respect for a loaded gun.

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

xd40sc chambered but not toped. 12 in the gun and 1 spair mag. all the time
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Page 1 of 94 123451151 ... LastLast

Links