FYI: Got AZ Concealed Weapon Permit in 7 days

This is a discussion on FYI: Got AZ Concealed Weapon Permit in 7 days within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen a number of threads over the years about how long/short a time it takes to get a concealed carry permit in various states ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FYI: Got AZ Concealed Weapon Permit in 7 days

FYI: Got AZ Concealed Weapon Permit in 7 days

I've seen a number of threads over the years about how long/short a time it takes to get a concealed carry permit in various states so I'll share my experience for those who may be interested.

I mailed my application, fingerprint cards, money order, and a copy of my NM concealed handgun license (as proof of meeting AZ's training requirement) to the AZ Department of Public Safety on May 21, 2011 and received a concealed weapon permit in the mail on May 29, 2011.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Damn, Indiana is 90. Not 88, 89 but you MUST wait 90. Plus side s a LIFETIME permit is $140

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Took me 96 days (SC 'max' is 90) to get my permit.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    I've seen a number of threads over the years about how long/short a time it takes to get a concealed carry permit in various states so I'll share my experience for those who may be interested.

I mailed my application, fingerprint cards, money order, and a copy of my NM concealed handgun license (as proof of meeting AZ's training requirement) to the AZ Department of Public Safety on May 21, 2011 and received a concealed weapon permit in the mail on May 29, 2011.
    Welcome to the club!

The reason you got yours so fast is that it's no longer required you have a concealed weapons permit in Arizona to carry concealed. The majority of folks interested in CCW don't take the class now that it's legal without one, for better or for worse.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Congratulations. AZ is good about that. I got mine in a week
    And I got mine before the new law!
    Freedom.... The Price Keeps Going Up, and the Quality Keeps Going Down.

Took me 2 weeks to the day back in Oct 2010...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Welcome to the club!

The reason you got yours so fast is that it's no longer required you have a concealed weapons permit in Arizona to carry concealed. The majority of folks interested in CCW don't take the class now that it's legal without one, for better or for worse.
    So I'm not familiar enough with AZ's new law...do they need a permit or not? If not, why is the OP receiving one?

Is there training involved?

(WA St., Snohomish Co, came in the mail in one week)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Nope, we don't need one. However, with a CCW you can carry in places that you cannot without it. i.e restaurants that serve liquor, and a couple of other advantages that escape me at this point. You are required to take an 8 hour class and qualify by placing 10 rounds on target.
    I received my permit in 10 days after mailing.

GM
    That sounds very good. Glad you got it so fast. Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Yes, ever since the mandate was dropped in Arizona, permits fly through in record time. Granted, it’s far better to have the permit and I plan to keep mine intact. Fact is, a lot of folks don’t see the point or care to go through the effort. Congrats'
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

North Carolina is 90, I got mine in 81, they also lost my fingerprints and I had to go back and do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by scout706 View Post
    Nope, we don't need one. However, with a CCW you can carry in places that you cannot without it. i.e restaurants that serve liquor, and a couple of other advantages that escape me at this point. You are required to take an 8 hour class and qualify by placing 10 rounds on target.
    I received my permit in 10 days after mailing.
    Thanks very much.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

To the OP...
    Congrats on the new permit, AZ is now a bit safer.

My FL renewal was 10 days 'door to door'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    ...why is the OP receiving one?
    Because I've read a number of posts about the long delay it can take to get a NM license (my home state) renewed, and because mine is coming up for renewal next year, and because NM recognizes an AZ permit, so by getting an AZ permit whose period of effectiveness overlaps that of my NM license I can carry in NM with my AZ license while waiting for my NM license to be renewed with no gap in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Is there training involved?)
    There are training requirements for the permit, which can be satisfied in a variety of ways. My NM license required training, which AZ recognizes as meeting their requirements.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    Because I've read a number of posts about the long delay it can take to get a NM license (my home state) renewed, and because mine is coming up for renewal next year, and because NM recognizes an AZ permit, so by getting an AZ permit whose period of effectiveness overlaps that of my NM license I can carry in NM with my AZ license while waiting for my NM license to be renewed with no gap in coverage.

There are training requirements for the permit, which can be satisfied in a variety of ways. My NM license required training, which AZ recognizes as meeting their requirements.
    Thank you. From your response, I'm sure you can understand my confusion.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links