Do I need to harden up? - Page 2

Do I need to harden up?

This is a discussion on Do I need to harden up? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One thing I'm curious about, have you ever tried to draw while sitting in your car wearing either the supertuck or the mini tuck? I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do I need to harden up?

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    One thing I'm curious about, have you ever tried to draw while sitting in your car wearing either the supertuck or the mini tuck? I wear a supertuck with a PPS, one of the slimest pistol out there. But I can't draw when sitting in the driver seat with the seat belt buckled. One of the reason I carry is for protection from car jacking. So to correct my problem, when I get in my car I switch to a fanny pack which gives me access to the pistol without fighting the seat belt. Also I don't feel the supertuck. I reholster when I get to were I'm going. Another option for you.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Try adjusting the cant of the firearm,I usually make my holsters with a 20 degree forward cant since I am sitting about 90% of the time,and even standing allows for a quick weapon presentation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

OWB has always been my friend. I have IWB holsters but only wear them when I can't use a cover garment for an OWB. The Galco Quick Slide or Concealable are increadibly comfortable.

As for your IWB comfort issues, experiment. But it will never be as comfortable as OWB. As they say, carrying a gun is comforting, not comfortable.

I agree, I have many different handguns and some IWB holsters, but OWB is by far the most comfortable, as far as I'm concerned. You might try a decent pancake or Askin's Avenger style holster and figure out pretty quickly that it is far more comfortable. That said, you do give up some concealment compared to IWB holsters, but I think it's a reasonable tradeoff.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    OWB for the win. Or with the LCR try pocket carry
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I'm gonna look for a good OWB holster for my LCR, I think its a little too big to pocket carry except in my cargo shorts. Two of my holsters are generic Uncle Mikes and I use them for general 'In the console" or "in the drawrer" uses. My other holsters are gun specific. I'm thinking a Kahr CM9 maybe a good alternative to the FNP for carry. Its quite abit lighter and thinner so concealment should be much easier. Also, the belt I use is a 1 3/4 wide leather belt but its very soft and flexable. I may need a good gun belt that has more ridgitity to keep my OWB holster closer to my side.

I appreciate all the feedback and will keep you guys informed as to what I try.

Thanks
    Steve
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Lots of good info here...most that I learned here rather than trial and error...

If I'm carrying OWB, I carry my G23 in a Belt Slide holster at about 2:30...

If I'm carrying IWB, which I'm doing more these days because I want to wear shorts, I carry at about 3:00 with pants that are a size larger (Yes, I have an IWB wardrobe...) for comfort...

Always carry with a good belt, no matter where you place the weapon on your waist...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I very much believe in the adage that "it should't be comfortable to carry, it should be comforting," but at the same time, I also very strongly believe in the common wisdom that says "if it's not comfortable, you probably won't be doing it for long." Yes, discipline goes a long way, but complacency is a drag that's always going to be there.

So I specifically try to make my carry as comfortable as I can, by getting the right equipment for the job.

With that said, I carry at my 3'o-clock, in a variety of holsters (I'm right-handed), mainly because I hop in and out of my car a bit for my daily chores. My car's seats are decently bolstered, and I have the added complication that I love a manual transmission with three genuine pedals to press. My true-EDC is an XDm9 3.8 Compact: it's not the slimmest of carry pistols, so that's one thing that gets in the way - but with a good belt and some good holsters (my usual is a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, but I'll sometimes switch to either a CBST or a canted Minotaur MTAC; all three are set up with the same cant and height-above-beltline). In the early days, I found that the CBST was the hardest to "get right." And when I got it wrong - and we're talking by just a fraction of an inch, since I set up all my holsters in the same format - boy, that made even the shortest jaunt in the car near-unbearable.

There's a lot of individual trial-and-error. What works well for me may or may not for you.

Yeah, it's not going to be as comfortable as me lying around on the couch in nothing but my boxers...but heck, what is?

I have a Nate Squared Tactical holster. It's the most comfortable holster I've found and it conceals (at least for me) very well. I can wear a thin t-shirt untucked over it with no issues.

Nate Squared

I know some have said they look cheap, but it's really well put together. Yeah, re-holstering takes two hands, but aside from practicing drawing, are you REALLY going to unholster and re-holster in public??

I carry a 1911 daily IWB with no issue driving or sitting. Had to experiment a bit, but I find 4 o'clock works well for me. I like how Clint Smith says a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting in the event you need to defend your life.

I personally do not like appendix carry because the gun is pointing at my femoral artery area and my bits and pieces, especially when sitting. This in turn breaks my #1 rule, don't point the gun barrel at anything you don't want to destroy. God forbid you did have an accidental discharge, if you clip that femoral artery, you will bleed out and die no matter where you are located. Carrying on my hip or slightly behind means only a grazed butt cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I personally do not like appendix carry because the gun is pointing at my femoral artery area and my bits and pieces, especially when sitting. This in turn breaks my #1 rule, don't point the gun barrel at anything you don't want to destroy. God forbid you did have an accidental discharge, if you clip that femoral artery, you will bleed out and die no matter where you are located. Carrying on my hip or slightly behind means only a grazed butt cheek.
    You make a very good point on appendix carry. I would have loved to carry my 1911 but man that thing is heavy! I had a PT1911 SS and that thing was by far the best shooting handgun I owned. I sold it not long ago, I bought it on an impulse and if I were to buy another 1911 I wouldnt get the shiny SS, I'm kinda partial to black guns and I'm leaning towards a P220.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

You might consider giving the Remora holster a try.

I have three Crossbreed Supertucks for three different pistols, but after reading a bunch of rave reviews of the Remora I ordered one for my HK P7. It is now my first-choice IWB and the Supertuck sits in the drawer.

The Remora is made of a spongy rubber material rather like a wetsuit and as such is very comfortable IWB. Also, due to the nature of the design you can place it anywhere you like at any cant you like. You mentioned sitting in a car and associated comfort and drawing difficulty - for car carry simply pull the Remora from the 3:30 position (where I carry mine) and move it to crossdraw with whatever cant you like.

I have no association with Remora other than being a satisfied customer.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

A little trick I do when sitting in the car is, loosen my Wilderness belt just before sitting and let the gun kind of find a sweet spot. Then when I arrive at my destination, I simply cinch the belt up and I'm ready to go.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I typically carry in the small of my back. I have several different guns. The largest of them is the Glock 19 and it can be uncomfortable at times. A lot of it depends on the pants I'm wearing and where the waistline is. If I'm sitting in the car or movie theater or something for long periods of time, it can become uncomfortable. You do get used to it, though.

With my Taraus TCP (about the same size as your LCP) it is barely noticeable when wearing on my back. However, I also bought an ankle holster for that gun that works very well and is fairly easy to get to by lifting my pant leg.

I have found that the best place to carry in a vehicle is out of the holster. I have a little nook in my pickup that my Glock 27 or my LC9 fit into vith no visability from outside the vehicle. Also, the guns are much easier to get to if needed. I have a mini tuck for the LC9 and a super tuck for the G27. They are not that uncomfortable in a vehicle, just harder to get to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links