Do I need to harden up?

This is a discussion on Do I need to harden up? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hulley I'm having great difficulty getting comfortable carrying my FNP-40 or even my LCR IWB. I have a Crossbreed supertuck for the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do I need to harden up?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
    I'm having great difficulty getting comfortable carrying my FNP-40 or even my LCR IWB. I have a Crossbreed supertuck for the FNP and a mini-tuck for the LCR but its very uncomfortable when I get in the car and having the gun diggin in my back. Standing is fine, but I have resorted to sticking my LCR in an Uncle Mikes soft holster and appendix carry. Does anybody else have these problems? I'm sure I'm not the only one. So what did you do to deal with it? I'm thinking of getting something smaller than the FNP but if I cant get comfortable with the LCR than I'm a little stumped. I have a OBW holster for the FNP but it doesnt hold it close enough to my body and it prints badly. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    Steve
    When you first start to carry, you feel like all eyes are on you, like everybody knows that you are carrying. carrying it in your back seems the best way to conceal your gun. And it probably is but it's really depending on how you dress, on the width of your belt, on how thin you are and on whether or not you have to carry it every day. Some people are carrying and walking all day long. I am driving most of the times and I also have a back problem. I couldn't carry it like that. It was not only uncomfortable but painful also. In time, I started to wear it on my left side a bit towards the back. I adjusted the position while sitting down because that was when I felt the discomfort really. And after a while it became part of my body...I can't imagine not carrying a gun or carrying it in a different way!

2. Remove Ads

I agree with the others about position. It sounds like your carrying it to far back.
    I can drive comfortably with either my Glock27 or my snub nose 38 at 4:00 position. An LCR should be easy to wear in a car.
    You may be wearing the gun farther back to avoid printing, but a little printing is usually acceptable, depending on the state your in. Also wearing it closer to 5:30/6:00 makes it print more if you have to bend or lean forward.

Try a 1911 instead hulley :)

I use mostly Fist holsters and belts fitted to me by a local leather shop. Cheap holsters and belts hardly ever mean comfortable carry.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I couldn't get comfortable with my crossbreed style holster either.

Bought a Remora and have had no problems whatsoever, even sitting in the car.

Here's a review I made for my Remora:

My Remora Holster Review. Long w/pics.

I'm not associated with this company, just a VERY satisfied customer.

Good Luck!
    3rdGen.Glock19.TaloEdition
    Glock.Factory.NS
    Remora.#10.RFT.SS
    16.GDJHP.124g.+P
    24/7

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    You definitely need to get used to it and find the position that best works for you (anywhere from 3:00 - 6:00 is the usual). A good idea when using an IWB holster is to wear two shirts. A button down shirt over a plain t-shirt that is tucked in your pants is most effective. Also, don't forget that you need to wear + 1 sized pants to accommodate the holster and a good gun belt will help keep the gun firm and close to your body. Also, you have to understand that adding a weapon to your body will never be fully comfortable and that you will have to get used to it. This implies that you will have to implement a different way of bending over, using the restroom, getting inside your car, dressing up, etc.. It's definitely a change of lifestyle, but well worth given the advantages of self-defense and safety you will be getting in return.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I use to carry at 5-6 O' Clock like you are and it would absolutely kill me. I moved my CBST to 3 O' Clock and have been happier for it.

Also, something else to consider...how fast can you get to that gun when you are strapped down in a seatbelt? I personally take my gun out and put it in an accessible safe when I drive. I can reach it if I need to in a jam and it gives my body a rest from the gun.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

I agree with most people's position on the crossbreed holster positions. I'm just going to chime in a little.

Carry between 3:00-4:00 firstly. This way, the gun won't dig into your back when you are seated.
    Forward cant. This is a must. You really have to play around with your holster until you find the right setting for your body type. I changed my settings 3-4 times before I found the sweet spot.

Looking at my holster, (right handed facing kydex) I found my comfortable position to be second from bottom (left) and top (right).

I am completely comfortable while sitting/standing/doing anything! Even sitting in this chair!:
    Trust me, that is saying something! I'm 5'11" 170lbs.

Albeit my car is blue, not green...

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXMens ReaXx View Post
    Also, something else to consider...how fast can you get to that gun when you are strapped down in a seatbelt? I personally take my gun out and put it in an accessible safe when I drive. I can reach it if I need to in a jam and it gives my body a rest from the gun.
    I agree. I carry my pistol like this when driving:

This is a universal vehicle holster mount by Gum Creek Customs which costs only $34.95. There is another company that makes a similar one called Grassburr Leather Works, which is mounted with bolts anywhere you want in the car, it has a concealed carry cover (for state regulations) and it costs $59.99 - $89.99 depending on the holster chosen.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I carry mine at somewhere between 3:30 and 4:00. and that seems to be a good place. I can sit comfortably and even draw while in the car with the seat belt on. I have been carrying an M&P 9c in a holster with a good cant, about 15 degrees or so. I think that helps with the draw, and with being seated.

A good belt adds a lot of comfort.

Age can make a difference, too. I used to carry a full size revolver at 3:00 when hiking, fishing or hunting and I could carry that 3 lb thing all day long 25 years ago. I strapped it on last year because I was in bear country and I would swear it had put on some pounds.

Thanks guys. I've been playing around with the CBST at various positions and its getting much better. It seems like I'm most comfortable at 3:30 position and its not bad in the truck now. What makes a huge difference is removing it when I get in the truck. I need to play with the cant a little bit and I'm confident I'll get it to work. This is kinda an old thread so I just re-read it. I've since bought a Kahr CW9 and I often times carry it in a Remora holster at 4 o'clock with no problems at all. I still would ultimatly like to carry my FNP-40, its hard to beat 15rds of .40 S&W! I'm really diggin the steering column holster and I think that will be the saving grace for the FNP.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Looks like it's all been said already but I'm going to "weigh in" as well. I do carry AIWB quite often and it does work very well for me......but with the right holster and a good amount of cant, I carry almost every day in the 3:30 position with Sig p239 in TT Gunleather Slim IWB......also quite often with p229 in TT Gunleather Stronghold Phoenix......both these Holsters have enough can't to keep the butt of the pistol just touching the seat and not behind my back where I'd be leaning on it! Like you and unlike mentioned by others, I cannot get comfortable leaning on my pistol. I also have a Slim Pro from HBE that carries my g26 in appendix or at 3:30 and of course, with the short grip, there is no problem. The TT Gunleather Slim holster is by far the most comfortable holster I own......especially with the number of times I'm continuously in and out of my truck every day! This holster rides very low and with the 20 degree cant is the perfect holster for me.......I wear it 10-12 hours a day! Good Luck......hope you find an answer to your dilemma!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Seated I found the Crossbreed to work well for me at 2-3 oclock. I have never had a more comfy holster, but I do have at least 10 before I figured out what works. Plus 1 on the real belt, I went with High noon 1.5", wow does this make all the difference!!

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    What position are you carrying in? Try moving the gun closer to your hip, away from your spine. I found that carrying in the appendix position is the most comfortable and easy to conceal for me. i carry my SR9C there every day.
    I agree. You m ight try moving closer to the 3:00 o'clock position

Lightbulb Finally my solution

I struggled with this in my Wrangler on cross-country drives with my SP101, and more recently also with my LCR. Has bucket seats, so even 4 o'clock can get painful when driving 8-9 hours (actually much quicker than that). I now finally have it working... first, I use Wilderness instructor (5-line) belts. I use well-concealing Bianchi OWB pancake holsters (Shadow or Serpent, with a bit of a cant) that fit tightly on the belt. I position the holster at 4 o'clock, but with the belt positioned so I can slide the whole belt/holster/gun rig a good 3 inches toward the front when I get in the car, taking it to somewhere around 2:30-3:00. Grip matters, too; on the SP I use original grip (with nice inserts) rather than Hogue, on the LCR I use the boot grip (and yes, it takes practice to use that with 357s, but doable if you're not real recoil sensitive). I just drove from west of Albuquerque to Chicago, no problems with the LCR rig being uncomfortable up to the IL border ... after that, locked up in back till I was home in Chicago, of course. Easy to slide it back to a more concealed position when getting out, and forward when getting back in the car. With both, stays at 4 o'clock naturally when wandering the world ... Works for me. Stay safe, Mark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links