Do I need to harden up?

This is a discussion on Do I need to harden up? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm having great difficulty getting comfortable carrying my FNP-40 or even my LCR IWB. I have a Crossbreed supertuck for the FNP and a mini-tuck ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do I need to harden up?

Do I need to harden up?

I'm having great difficulty getting comfortable carrying my FNP-40 or even my LCR IWB. I have a Crossbreed supertuck for the FNP and a mini-tuck for the LCR but its very uncomfortable when I get in the car and having the gun diggin in my back. Standing is fine, but I have resorted to sticking my LCR in an Uncle Mikes soft holster and appendix carry. Does anybody else have these problems? I'm sure I'm not the only one. So what did you do to deal with it? I'm thinking of getting something smaller than the FNP but if I cant get comfortable with the LCR than I'm a little stumped. I have a OBW holster for the FNP but it doesnt hold it close enough to my body and it prints badly. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
    Steve
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

2. Remove Ads

What position are you carrying in? Try moving the gun closer to your hip, away from your spine. I found that carrying in the appendix position is the most comfortable and easy to conceal for me. i carry my SR9C there every day.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if you are very skinny it may help to have the FBI cant, or even 5 degrees more. thus your hipbone has the handle above and the bbl below.

If your gun is digging into your back while seated in your car you must be attempting to carry in an extreme rearward position. I know some people do it but I can't imagine a comfortable way to carry in the 5:00 - 6:00 position. Try carrying at 3:30 - 4:00.
    JOHNSMITH likes this.

You'll get used to it. Takes a while for the body to custom form to the new piece of wardrobe. I have a visible dent in my right buttocks/hip/waist that is the same outline of my holster/grip.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I try to position the holster close to my hip. I'm not a skinny guy but I'm not heavy either, 5'8" @ 170lbs. When I'm walking around its fine, just mainly getting in the car is whats a pain. While I dont lean back in the car I wondering if I should try having my seat a little more upright. I'm going to go look at some thinner firearms today. Always looking for an excuse to buy right? I'm actually gonna buy a LCP but I'd like to carry a larger gun/caliber more comfortably.

I use the same holster (supertuck) but carry at 3:00-4:00 o'clock position. It's more comfortable, for me, than carrying as far back as (it sounds) you carry.

VIP Member
    Well, it’s pretty subjective to each of us although carrying a handgun does come with an inherent compromise. Personally, I don’t care for any restrictive garments, belts or much less a sidearm. Still, I do carry and I found that location, location, location plays a big role in tolerated discomfort. Likewise, holster selection is a significant contributing factor. If these two adjustments don’t reduce the anxiety then perhaps a different carry gun may be the solution. The stepwise approach isn’t quick nor is it cheap but it is pretty much what I had to go through.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

You probably need to move it...but that is your personal preference. Have to move it around and find the "sweet spot". it like that special spot on your pillow or bed that makes you most comfortable.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I will say that it does take a lot of experimenting with where you carry your gun on your body as well as the type of holster which will carry the type of gun you choose in as comfortable a way as possible. I'm glad you are considering how your car seat is adjusted as well, as many people tend to overlook that factor. But no getting around it does take a lot of experimentation and "trial and error." Especially when it comes to brand and type of holster design. Keep trying. You won't be the only one who may end up with a drawer full of holsters you've accumulated that you no longer use. Most people have one of those "infamous holster drawers." And yes, it can get moderately expensive trying to find that right combination of gun and gear which will work best for you.

You also may have to come to accept the fact that as Clint Smith often says... Carrying a gun should provide a feeling of comfort, but not necessarily comfortable to wear. I know many people who never end up with a set up that is considered comfortable to wear all the time. You're literally wearing a hard, sometimes heavy piece of metal on the body which is almost always going to dig in and bite, rub or abrade part of your delicate and fleshy hide on a regular basis.

Carrying a gun all the time, everywhere you go takes a serious commitment that so many people simply end up abandoning for a variety of reasons. Some don't want to give up their fashion statement wardrobe, and others just because that frequently, it hurts and is somewhat painful to lug around a chunk of steel all day.

Fortunately, there has never been more gun shapes and types as well as good quality comfortable custom made holsters as we have on the market today, that most people end up finding some combination which will fit their needs eventually. It's just a matter of experimenting to find which combination which will work for you.

I can't overstate the comfort level of having a good quality custom made holster makes over that of a mass produced assembly line made holster. There is simply no comparison.

Good luck with your quest for finding that right level of comfort vs. the level of discomfort you're willing to tolerate. And know you're not alone.
    Old School and JOHNSMITH like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Just an idea to look into if you want to keep that position i would go with a small of the back holster where the barrel isnt held below your sitting angle, i myself carry a 5" at 3:00 every day

VIP Member
    Try experimenting with the positioning of the gun. I found for me carrying at about the 3:30-4:00 position works best. If your left handed then 8:30-9:00 would be the equivalent. Also try changing the cant of your holster (if possible). This can shift the butt up and forward, making it more comfortable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not alone. I do have the infamous holster drawer with 6 holsters total. I thinking another, thinner gun may be in the line-up. My wife takes the LCR the majority of the time and I'll take my FNP with me however it stays in the car. I'm not crazy about leaving it in the car, I'd rather have it on my person. I think I'll also just bite the bullet (no pun) and just carry the FNP and learn to deal with it. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks again
    Steve

I have about 6 or 7 of these IWB/SOB for different guns... FIST, INC.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Couple of things:

1 - Belt: What kind of belt do you have? If it's a "normal" belt, are you cinching it up too tight to keep the gun/holster in place? May want to try a thicker leather/other material gun belt.
    2 - Holster: are you using a holster specifically made for your model gun? or is it an Uncle Mike's universal-type holster?
    3 - Pants: If carrying IWB--are they big enough? Maybe go up a size to accommodate a gun and holster carried IWB.

Just a few thoughts
    Old School likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links