Mega Hug Training- AKA Baptism by fire!

Mega Hug Training- AKA Baptism by fire!

This is a discussion on Mega Hug Training- AKA Baptism by fire! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a fairly new person to the CC community having only been CCing for a few months now. I carry as often as I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mega Hug Training- AKA Baptism by fire!

Cool Mega Hug Training- AKA Baptism by fire!

I am a fairly new person to the CC community having only been CCing for a few months now. I carry as often as I can (have a lot of no carry time due to being military and the gun-free zones that are enforced on military reservations, kind of ironic but oh well).

I had an experience yesterday that I just wanted to share, I have been reading in the forums about techniques for social close quarters interaction (AKA hugs) so fortunately I had a little head knowledge on how to interact with people socially when called upon to extend embraces. Anyway, here is how I got some outstanding training on the art of the hug while concealed carrying.

I carry a Springfield XD 9sc in a Galco IWB at around the 4 o'clock position. I had a graduation party for a close family friend to attend yesterday and at first I was torn as to whether I should just leave my weapon in the car secured while I went inside to mingle and eat etc, I knew there would be several people I hadn't seen in a while who would run up and hug me hard. I decided this would be an excellent opportunity to see how much I have learned about remaining below the radar while CCing and hugging on folks. I ended up hugging about 4 or five people in one form or another. I was hyper-viligent of the placement of my arms (particularly my right arm) in reference to the other person's left arm, A couple of times I almost felt like I was grappling with some younger people in order to get good no discovery positioning...lol...

In the end I was successful in maintaining my concealed carry with no strange looks etc, all in all a great day of training in the art of hugging folks while carrying concealed. I am learning every day and getting more and more comfortable with my Springfield concealed with one in the pipe.
    Hope everyone has a great Memorial day, God bless all veterans, past and present!

It does feel akward at first doesn't it. Good job

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    lots to think about--before it happens

lady huggers like to come in low and around your waist; you pre-empt them by extending your arms 1st and going for their waist. they will adjust and go higher on your torso. better that your aunt should pinch your cheeks than ask if you are happy to see her
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Gotta watch for little kids, too. They come in on your blindside, like a missile. Then they hug you around your waist, and will announce very loudly if they notice something.

Sent from my phone
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks for the additional pointers! I am getting this stuff slowly but surely...

Big Dub, Glad to see you on board here, and I'd like to wish you a reverant Memorial Day today. Thank you for your service to our Great Nation.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Vietnamvet, THANK YOU for your service, brother! Thanks for the welcome as well.

It's just for these types of family/social events that I wear my Glock 27 in a Galco ankle glove. I usually wear a 3/4 boot with it to avoid it peaking from my pant leg. Along with being very comfortable and discreet it totally avoids any accidental "bump frisk" they may occur from hugs or close contact. Drawing is not the fastest but definitely has it's advantages if your in a seated position for extended periods.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    It's just for these types of family/social events that I wear my Glock 27 in a Galco ankle glove. I usually wear a 3/4 boot with it to avoid it peaking from my pant leg. Along with being very comfortable and discreet it totally avoids any accidental "bump frisk" they may occur from hugs or close contact. Drawing is not the fastest but definitely has it's advantages if your in a seated position for extended periods.
    I bet that G27 in an ankle holster must look pretty weird in shorts and a pair of flip flops at the family picnic.

I agree that little kids are the most likely to discover(and announce)a concealed pistol.Even my LC9 in a pocket holster got questioned by a little nosy buger.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    I bet that G27 in an ankle holster must look pretty weird in shorts and a pair of flip flops at the family picnic.
    Technically that would be "open carry". Currently not allowed in Florida.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Technically that would be "open carry". Currently not allowed in Florida.
    Then I bet it would REALLY be weird looking if you're the only one wearing pants and 3/4 boots, when everyone else is in shorts and flip flops, ESPECIALLY in FL. Dressing "goth" is no longer an option after you turn 20.

What was almost REALLY awkward was at my wedding on the 21st. I was carrying IWB on my right hip and we were taking pictures after the ceremony. We were taking one with my new wife, my grandmother and myself. My grandmother decided to be cute and "tickle" me. What she ended up "tickling" was the grip of my M&P .40c. She had no idea and just continued on like nothing happened. There were a lot of hugs & handshakes and I didn't get made by anyone who didn't already know. Overall it was a great day and went off without a hitch.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Good thread!

I had been thinking about this since applying for my permit recently, as I have 2 young nieces who're pretty short. I'm thinking I might have to use the "my right arm is sore" stiff arm technique to keep the arm along my strong side.

The wife learned that I was carrying full-time in & around the house a few months ago by giving me a sneak-hug. "Is that your gun?", she says...
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

C5A
    If someone hugs me and I don't intercept their arm quick enough and they ask "what is that" I just tell them it is my Morphine pump. After that they are not likely to ask more questions. Actually I am not telling a lie since my side arm is built to eliminate all pain.
    NRA
    Glock 22
    Colt Cobra 38 Spl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links