Working in the most dangerous city in the US.

This is a discussion on Working in the most dangerous city in the US. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work in Flint Michigan, just made #1 in violent crime, home invasion and murder. I am surprised at the number of people I know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Working in the most dangerous city in the US.

Working in the most dangerous city in the US.

I work in Flint Michigan, just made #1 in violent crime, home invasion and murder.

I am surprised at the number of people I know that don't own a gun much less carry one. I see potential danger everyday I work in Flint, and now the crime is moving to the suburbs.

I carry at work when I can, usually pocket carry a LCP, and went I can dress around it a Kahr PM9 or S&W 642. I would like to make my PM9 my EDC because the need for more fight stopping power of the 9mm.

I am looking to buy a AIWB or a Comp-Tac or Crossbreed for 3:30-4:00 carry. I have AIWB in the colder months with a High Noon Hidden Alley holster, the problem is the gun touches my skin with no t-shirt, so a holster that covers the back of the gun is important to me.

I also like the Wild Bill concealment holster where the belt clip is beside the holster making it thinner, and the clip hides behind the belt. I need the tuckable feature for the way I must dress at work.

I may even step up to the 45 ACP like a Kahr PM45 or CW45. So the same criteria for a holster would apply.

What are your though on such a dangerous place to live, and what the minimum to carry is, along with carry experience in summer months?

2. Remove Ads

I was born in, and lived in Flint. The last time I was living at the YMCA downtown. Oddly enough.. I never felt I needed to get armed until my 14th year here in Florida. Generally I feel safer anytime I go to Flint, than I do here in a state that is now of 17,000,000 people.

Still, when I was a travel agent, and people wanted the cheapest airfare.. I'd always regret when they decided that Flint Bishop was the airport for them. If they were only taking a flight there and heading elsewhere in SE Michigan, I'd usually recommend they leave the city as soon as they were able.

I've also lived in New Orleans.. again.. I felt surprisingly safe compared to here.
    Coming soon to a Montana near you!

Cool

I carry a Glock 23 in a High Noon Public Secret at 2:00 AIWB year round.The holster has a slide guard. I do wear a t-shirt to keep the back of the holster away from my skin. If I were in your circumstances I would be carrying as large a caliber and as high a capacity handgun as I could. I would also be carrying a quality self defense spray. I do both of those things here in Florida daily. I also carry a Cold Steel folding knife.

photo.jpg cover garment
    photo.jpg G-23 and Public Secret
    photo.jpg Public Secret
    photo.jpg Defensive sprays
    photo.jpg Cold Steel Lawman
    click to enlarge.........
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    I haven't been to Flint in many, many years. I know the economy has decimated much of Michigan, and with that comes rising crime rates. I carry whenever and where ever I go, as long as it is legal to carry. My preference is .45, either my 1911, or a CW45.

Another holster you might want to look at is the Tucker Leather Cover Up. It seems to meet the requirements you mentioned.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

This with, an added body protector, will work perfectly... FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

High Noon Alter Ego Tuckable holster has a slide guard.

Alter Ego
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Michigan is a GREAT place to live right now. We have the number one city (Flint), number two city (Detroit) and the number twenty-four city (Lansing). Three of the top twenty-five most violent cities in the country. Now that is something to be proud of!

Find a rig that allows you to carry what and how you need and don't be afraid to make fashion allowances. Personally, I am a fan of the Crossbreed Supertuck if I feel the need for deep concealment, but there are a multitude of options out there. What I don't usually do is carry a smaller firearm. With the right holster and cover garments, a full-sized handgun is just as concealable as smaller choices in the same caliber.

Keep you eyes and ears open.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I would just move!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Michigan is a GREAT place to live right now. We have the number one city (Flint), number two city (Detroit) and the number twenty-four city (Lansing). Three of the top twenty-five most violent cities in the country. Now that is something to be proud of!

Find a rig that allows you to carry what and how you need and don't be afraid to make fashion allowances. Personally, I am a fan of the Crossbreed Supertuck if I feel the need for deep concealment, but there are a multitude of options out there. What I don't usually do is carry a smaller firearm. With the right holster and cover garments, a full-sized handgun is just as concealable as smaller choices in the same caliber.

Good luck!
    Some of the lesser thought of locales are not the greatest either. I'm looking at you Pontiac and Benton Harbor!

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjodr View Post
    Some of the lesser thought of locales are not the greatest either. I'm looking at you Pontiac and Benton Harbor!
    ...and go ahead and add Ypsilanti, Inkster, Taylor(tucky) and Romulus/Ecorse to your list.
    Mjodr likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I love Michigan. After my first deployment to Iraq, my friends and I went to a Tigers night game. After leaving the stadium we got turned around at about 11pm in the bad sections of Detroit. I honestly felt more comfortable driving around Baghdad in the middle of the night than I did Detroit. I was wishing I had an M240, I would have stuck my buddy up through the sun roof to be my gunner.
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Good luck!
    Hey your hurting us now.....LMAO...isnt that the truth.

I carry like OLD Schoold does except I use a desantis OTW with the FBI cant. I love it. It allows for a full size gun to be concealed really easy. Keep your SA up and be safe out there
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    ...and go ahead and add Ypsilanti, Inkster, Taylor(tucky) and Romulus/Ecorse to your list.
    Saginaw and Muskegon have been having their fair share of criminality as well.

The main reason is those people that do not move to the south out of Detroit, move elsewhere in metro-Detroit or Michigan in general. Detroit has lost hundreds of thousands of people..

Lets not diss on my home too much eh? :-)

There are still plenty of nice places in this state, I just took a trip with the 6yo daughter through mackinaw, Sault Ste Marie and back home. Gave her the Michigan tour of things you wont see elsewhere. Saw 3 of the great lakes, the bridge, the locks, she caught her first wild trout (10.5" brown) and had a riot of a time overall.

Michigan is a tough place to work these days in a lot of cases, but the state is a wonderful place overall still :-)

Lot of folks here still have pride in their homes and home towns. Just check what Grand Rapids did in response to Newsweek listing them as one of the worst 10 dying cities in the US

YouTube - ‪The Grand Rapids LipDub (NEW WORLD RECORD)‬‏

Of course on my trip I did have my P3AT in my pocket. Well everywhere but the Soo Locks as its federal property and signed accordingly.

Isn't Flint the city that laid off most of their FD and PD?

As for the holster question, I'm a big fan of Fist and I lobe their CS. Call them on the phone and you can talk to a real person, if you explain what you want they can build it and the price is right.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links