Can I carry my pistol from Va to Ga (thru NC & SC)

This is a discussion on Can I carry my pistol from Va to Ga (thru NC & SC) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CCW that runs out in 2014 but I have gotten married & moved so is it still valid and can I carry ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DoctorBob

Thread: Can I carry my pistol from Va to Ga (thru NC & SC)

Can I carry my pistol from Va to Ga (thru NC & SC)

I have a CCW that runs out in 2014 but I have gotten married & moved so is it still valid and can I carry my pistol while traveling from VA to NC to SC then GA. Please help thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Yes, but your Va permit is not valid in Ga.
    And you need to update your address on your permit.

Welcome to the forum.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Did you move already? or "are" you moving? From which state to which state?

You didn't mention which permit you have. VA or GA. I moved from GA to VA 3 years ago. So here is the low down on it.

Once you move and you are in another state, usually after a certain length of time, you are considered a resident of that state (I think 60 days or 90 days). You'll need to apply for a permit in that state ASAP. Some states also, will null and void your permit once you move and become the resident of another state.

If you have a VA "resident" permit (not a non-resident). You are good for VA, TN, NC, SC,... but not GA. To carry in GA you will have to have a non-resident permit from a state that GA has reciprocity with, such as PA, or NH, and there are others. I have a NH, and my wife has a PA.

If you have a GA "resident" permit - you cannot carry in SC or VA. They do not have reciprocity with GA.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Once you hit GS and SC w/ a VA permit, it isn't recognized. So that means you either have to get a non-resident permit from those states or store your gun(s) unloaded (that includes mags too), in a locked case that must be placed in a trunk. Ammo must also be separate too.

You can carry in your car while in GA....even without a permit.

You could also get an AZ permit by mail in about 2 weeks. Your VA permit satisfies the training requirement.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Once you hit GS and SC w/ a VA permit, it isn't recognized. So that means you either have to get a non-resident permit from those states or store your gun(s) unloaded (that includes mags too), in a locked case that must be placed in a trunk. Ammo must also be separate too.
    SC has reciprocity with VA. Even if it didn't, you could carry your gun loaded in your glove compartment or console without a permit.

go to www.Handgunlaw.us for the answers to all your questions....
    Cattus Vir likes this.

Verifying the SC law and the above is correct w/o permit you can have gun loaded in car as long as it is in a seperate compartment other than the one your in ie glove box center console. no lock required but suggested the drivers in SC will make you want to pull your gun out. We pass on the right and cruise 5 mph under the speed limit in the left. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    go to www.Handgunlaw.us for the answers to all your questions....
    +1...Someone please correct me IF I am wrong....It appears that Virginia has reciprocity with NC, so OP is legal from Virginia thru NC...It appears Virginia has reciprocity with SC, so OP is legal from Virginia thru NC thru SC.....IT ALSO appears that Virginia does NOT have reciprocity with Georgia, when looking at the Virginia reciprocity states.....when you go to Georgia and look at the reciprocity states, Virginia is not on the list... then you have the question of change of address and which state to which state...SOOOOOO CONFUSING SOMETIMES!! Be CAREFUL in Georgia...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

If you have a smart phone, the app Legal Heat is very accurate.

I'd never take it over the word of the states AG's but it seems pretty consistent with the stuff at handgunlaw.us.
    - SNA -

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have" -- Ronald Reagan

As long as your address on your permit and your drivers license are the same you are good to go.

Everyone is right about SC carry in glove box or console unlocked and loaded.

It is not SC's drivers fault there are hardly any turning, deceleration, or acceleration lanes. I sold both my bikes after a few years. Also do not proceed on Green until you check if everyone has stopped on red.

Have fun! GA has recently updated their laws most for the best.

VIP Member
    As others have said, your good until you hit the GA line. At that point you are going to be unable to carry on your VA permit.

From the VSP website on change of address:

The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.
    No time limit is given as to how soon it has to be done, but the sooner the better.

BTW welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links