What event made you feel the need to carry?

This is a discussion on What event made you feel the need to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alot of threads have been popping up recently about why we carry, why carry with one in the chamber, why carry at all? I wanted ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What event made you feel the need to carry?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Alot of threads have been popping up recently about why we carry, why carry with one in the chamber, why carry at all? I wanted to share with you the experience that made me decide to carry and my journey to where I am today with carrying. When I was 15 years old I was in bed and I heard my mom yelling at someone through the window. I went to her room on the first floor and found a man standing outside her window yelling at her wanting to know where the man in the green jeep was. She told him he lives across the street and he wasnt in our house but the guy wouldn't listen. He kept yelling at her and eventually grabbed the window and tried to pull it open. It was locked but he did not know that and I yelled at my grandma to grab her gun and call the police. The man continued yelling through moms window until we told him we called the cops and he had to leave our property. That event scared me and my mom to the point of not even wanting to leave the house when the police arrived. They then told us there was not really anything they could do since he didn't break in but they would keep an eye out for him. I got my LTCH at 18 and started carrying a single action .22. It was all i had at the time but it made me feel safer knowing I had it with me. I then started working for Blue Line and began to train with a semi automatic handgun. I had two ND's on the range and as stupid as my mistakes were, I still somehow made the same one twice in not checking the gun to ensure it was empty, alibeit the first one was somewhat malfunction induced I still should have checked it. Now I quadruple check every gun I fire when I clear it and make absolutly sure it is empty before decocking it, or disassembling it. I have had a few incidents since I started carrying where I was comforted to know I had a gun with me and I have learned so much since I started mostly due to the people on this forum. I now am working on becoming an instructor and plan to use my story to teach others. I think it might be beneficial to our new members if everyone would share the reasons they began carrying so please feel free to share them here. This is not the place to critique others on carrying methods, mistakes made while carrying or training nor is it the place to debate methods of carry.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My mother was a police officer. When I was 15 a occult group called several different departments and stated that they were going to sacrifice the son of a female police officer in my home town. That left exactly one possibility- me. That left a lasting impression on me, and it is one that hasn't left. I don't intend to die because I don't have a means to protect myself against idiots like that. Now that I'm the one wearing the uniform I come across far more people that may wish to harm me as a result of our interactions. Many more of them would love to harm my family to get even with me. So I find it a personal responsibility to ensure that my family and I die from old age not from the actions of a criminal.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

When I started reading.

I remember reading Hardy Boy books, where people would be kidnapped, and robbed and stuff. I would ask my dad why they didn't have a gun. This was probably between 9-12 yrs old. Then, through middle and high school I started reading about the actual laws and crime statistics, ect.

I made the conscious decision that I would be carrying after my 21'st birthday when I was 19. By this time I was living alone and working full time. I realized that, I alone was responsible for my life. All the bills, rent, food, going to work, locking my door ect; were my responsibly.

I never had a an "ah ha!" moment, or a violent or scary encounter that caused me to look at guns differently. My parents taught me about guns, even though they did not own any. They said they wanted me to make the choice about them when I was old enough, and they wanted me to have all the facts when I did.
    r0rtiz likes this.

For me it was a combination of things. I've always been aware of my surroundings and did a ton of martial arts in my teens and into my early twenties. When I had a friend that became a police officer I talked with him often and saw the way he had to think about protecting his family, the reasons he carried off-duty, etc. I started realizing that his reasons to carry off-duty weren't that different from any citizen's reasons. Sure he is a bit more likely to have an incident with someone he encountered while on the job than I am as an office worker, but the bottom line is that bad stuff happens to good people, too. I bought my first handgun shortly thereafter and have carried ever since. I hope and pray I never had need for it, but I'd rather have it when need arises than not.

When I started delivering pizza

But then this happened:
    Prowler tonight
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    That's just the point. I don't want an event to happen first.
    Florida and pir8fan like this.

When I got too old to fight and two knee replacements made me to slow to run.
    TerribleIvan likes this.

I had several instances when I was younger, but over the years moving to several different states I got out of shooting and carrying for about 10 years after I moved to Virginia. The recent issue that got me back into buying guns, shooting, getting my CHP, and carrying religiously was when I had to fire an employee for misconduct. It was apparent that he had significant personality disorder issues and the incident had the potential for him to lose everything personally and professionally. His intense anger popped its head up numerous times during the conversation and he blamed everyone (mainly me) for the situation although he had created it entirely himself. He lived a couple towns away and his job was the only thing bringing him to our town, yet suddenly he started coincidentally appearing at places in our town that my family and I were...a lot. I even saw him ride by our house (and we live on a one road in and out neighborhood). I signed up for our CHP class and promptly got educated real quick on open carry in VA. I started OCing my Ruger Police Service Six and he started seeing me carrying it. Shortly after the first time he saw us out with that honker on my side he quit appearing. Go figure.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

When I ripped open my button down and the only " S " that was visible was rather small and located in the back by the care tag.

Seriously though; I started carrying after a incident while helping my worthless adoptive father do a construction job for some idiot drunk home owner. Still to this day don't understand what and why, but this idiot came home from work one day while the old man and myself where still outside in his back yard finishing up the job. Later that evening the clown came out obviously drunk and started getting loud at the old man. I walked up to see what was going on and the dude pulled out a little J frame, "finger on the trigger" and all. I can't remember what all the idiot babbled on about, after a few statements he fired it over our heads, BANG! I was pretty shocked that it happened, but his wife came running outa the house and rushed him back inside. Soon there after the law showed up and carted the nut down to the poky. Funny thing is; after we got back to the house, I can remember overhearing the old man telling his wife, he thought I was about to attack the guy. He said "you should have seen Steve, he looked mad and I had to use my arm to stop him". LOL, I don't remember the arm and him trying to stop me and all. I was still a good size fella even at that age, and the old man couldn't have stopped me if he tried. I do remember being mad as a hornet though, that dang .38 was loud and made my ears ring. I only helped him that one day and I went back to my own job the next day so I don't know what ever happened to the idiot that fired the shot, but I'm sure it wasn't fun.

Anyway, that was my first introduction to firearms of the handheld persuasion. Soon there after I picked up my first handgun and about a year or so later got tired of knowing it was just sitting in my glove box while I was inside the restaurant, or store, so I decided to get my carry permit and have been doing it ever since. Only had to draw my firearm twice in twenty something years and both times it was while I was at home and in the evening... Kinda funny to me, both times was when someone was trying to break into my home or apartment, and not while I was out and about. Now when I see questions about carrying at home, and see the naysayers saying it's not for them and why. I just sigh and wish them good luck with the decision.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I turned 21. I was in college and working at the US Marshals service as an intern so I saw the bad inthe worl very early. I knew my safety was my responsibility. Now I work in LE and make people mad at me occasionally just by doing my job. Where I go my gun goes.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

No event, I just wanted to be able to go in a gun store and buy what I want on the spot instead of waiting for gun permits.

My father was ex military so I grew up around all manner of weaponry. He competed in police combat and was in our states governors 20. Guns and shooting was a very natural thing and he trained me well in all aspects. I never really thought of carrying until 1999. The big talk was Y2k and whether or not it was going to be a SHTF situation. A co worker buddy of mine had applied for his ccw license so I went ahead and joined him. Y2k ended up being a non event but I've been carrying ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    My father was ex military so I grew up around all manner of weaponry. He competed in police combat and was in our states governors 20. Guns and shooting was a very natural thing and he trained me well in all aspects. I never really thought of carrying until 1999. The big talk was Y2k and whether or not it was going to be a SHTF situation. A co worker buddy of mine had applied for his ccw license so I went ahead and joined him. Y2k ended up being a non event but I've been carrying ever since.
    Oh man, do I remember Y2K. I was only 7 at the time, but I remember my Dad stockpiling food and ammo for the SKS and Glock. We also made some money off of it. My Dad sold food grade barrels that he got from the local juice plant. You should've seen the look on the UPS guy's face every time he came out to pick up a shipment of barrels. Priceless. He always had to make at least 3 trips, too.

I mainly started carrying because of my Dad's position in LE. He had gangbangers making threats against the entire family, and we even had a few late night visitors. Nothing ever happened, and he's since gotten out of LE. With the recent influx of gangbangers going to work in the oil fields around here, I don't have plans to stop anytime soon.

No events. Just a slow evolution based on age and a growing responsibility to protect myself and my family.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

I joined the Navy at 17 and was a deck rover, always had a 45 strapped on. Once I got out of the service, I wasn't around firearms at all and that feeling left me. After 20 something years, in my little safe neighborhood, two houses were broken into in broad daylight. I decided then and there I was going to make sure I was able to protect my family if that were to occur while we were home. My inlaws carry and after several discussions regarding personal safety, I made the conscience decision to carry all the times.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links