Opinions on plastic holsters

This is a discussion on Opinions on plastic holsters within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seeking opinions on the plastic holsters with retention buttons for my G23. I own about a dozen leather holsters but have been thinking ...

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

I am seeking opinions on the plastic holsters with retention buttons for my G23. I own about a dozen leather holsters but have been thinking about something different. Pro's/ con's/ brands?????

Distinguished Member
    Plastic or kydex? Plastic can be anywhere from cheap and brittle (Fobus, OEM) to tough as nails (Safariland), but kydex is generally a winner for durability.

It all depends on the brand you're looking at.

I am a big fan of the Safariland holsters. They're very tough, and I love the ALS locking system.

For Kydex, there are tons of options.

YMMV

I dont like the SERPA line from Blackhawk as they dont conceal well and your pistol generally "rocks" back and forth in it and rattles. A good kydex rig will not need a "release button". It will lock the gun in to place with good tension and draw lightning fast.

The big names out there are Blade-tech, Comp-Tac and Crossbreed. The FIST line and Garrett Industries seem to also be popular and well made.
    There are some "boutique" brands that are really well made just not well advertised. Atomic Dog, Raven, Kaluban Claok, Kytac and one JD recently brought to my attention, Cane and Derby.

My next Kydex rig will probably be a Cane and Derby. Comp-tac and Blade-Tech have EXCELLENT customer service I have products from both and am extremely pleased with both.

Pro: Most all draw lightning fast, and can be had in almost any imaginable color. They are extremely durable and can be washed with soap and water.

Con: They tend to be a little harder on finishes quicker than leather. If not made properly they can be prne to cracking and breakage over year of hard usage.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Although I've only been carrying for about a year, it seems like I've tried five years' worth. Didn't like Fobus; Galco leather IWB okay but kinda bulky and re-holstering isn't as quick as I like; leather OWB great but trickier to conceal if you lift, bend, sit, etc. (FWIW, don't just stand in front of a mirror to see if you can tell). Had an Uncle Mike's ankle holster for a snubby that really worked well, but I just never wore it. I sometimes wear a Miami Classic shoulder holster for 1911s during the winter when I can keep a jacket or sport coat on all the time. Or I'll pocket-holster carry the snubby in a jacket pocket.

Last month my kydex Hidden Companion from Grandfather Oak (for a Commander 1911) finally arrived and it is now the holster I carry. $35, free shipping. Only downside is that it takes six-eight weeks (closer to eight) to deliver. Still, I ordered another for my 5" 1911.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

I don't like them, too noisy (clacky).
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I like the simple folded IWB style (usually homemade), but not with the release button, just a snug fit will do. In the hot humid south here, with plastic/kydex I don't have to worry about sweating or my leather soaking it up and getting damp.

Tuff but scuff

The problem I have with Kydex is they scuff my Beltman belts. So for guns I plan to carry on a leather belt my future holsters will be leather. If the gun is one I usually carry on a Wilderness it could go either way.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like the others have said, it really depends on what you're looking for, and your definition of what a decent holster is: just as there's junk leather, there's also junk "plastic."

For retention, these "plastic" wonders can often be equipped with some very, very nifty mechanisms that, with the right training, can make your duty sidearm nearly snatch-proof (unless they jerked your pants and belt clean-off with the firearm! ) while still allowing you lightening-fast draw. At the same time, the open-top versions are also capable of no-fuss releases, yet are still able to be "tuned" to give your carry pistol just the right amount of retention, so that jumping, running, rolling around on the deck won't have you worrying, either.

I favor leather, but I know the advantages of these "plastic" holsters, and I try to exploit them as best I can.

I'm not in law-enforcement/security/military: since I conceal carry, I don't really need a holster that provides multiple layers of retention capabilities. But what I do want is a holster that takes no brain to put my weapon back into when I'm taking classes, and in which I know that I can do all sorts of gymnastics in getting into positions or getting off-line-of-attack, without the loaded piece taking a dangerous and embarrassing tumble. For me, that's either a good Kydex or other thermoplastic hardshell.

Also, I know that a leather holster (particularly IWB) - no matter how well-constructed (reinforced or treated) - will not take kindly to being sat on and belted-in without a pistol in-place. So if I know I'm going to be disarmed for a good portion of the day or constantly in-and-out, I'll instead opt for either one of my hybrids or even just bear the discomfort of going with a full-hardshell IWB (which I don't find to be much of an issue, if I don't have to sit down much).

Also, since they don't retain moisture (unless they're lined, or have foreign material in them), they're great for "Condition I" storage of the firearm in a quick-access safe. The trigger is protected, so you can reach in and grab the gun in full confidence.

OK, I admit, I'm a holster whore. But I truly believe that there's a time and place for everything: the right tool for the right job.

I have a Blackhawk Serpa CQC concealment for my 1911 and I really like,once it on and the gun is in,its not coming off no matter who tries what.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

Links