Carrying Unchambered - Practices, techniques, tips and tricks. - Page 7

Carrying Unchambered - Practices, techniques, tips and tricks.

This is a discussion on Carrying Unchambered - Practices, techniques, tips and tricks. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thunder71 Been posted, I question the videos somewhat since he admits he doesn't practice this way but does the best he can ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Carrying Unchambered - Practices, techniques, tips and tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Been posted, I question the videos somewhat since he admits he doesn't practice this way but does the best he can for the video demonstration.

That's just skewed from the get go.
    Oh well. Never mind.

My dad lost his arm from just below the elbow down in an accident 10 years ago. To make matters worse it was with his strong arm. He has since relearned to do everything with his weak hand and gotten almost as good with it as he was with his strong hand. Anyway, I have seen him rack several different guns with just one hand and he will do it with whatever he has at his disposal at the time. I have seen him do it on his pants leg, across his chest wearing blue jean overalls, boots, on chairs, trees, fence post, etc... You'd be surprised how a person can learn to adapt when you have to. Then there were sometimes he didn't want to mess with it and just hand me the gun to charge for him. I don't condone or condemn anybody choice of carry condition, I am just saying I have witnessed what a man with one hand can do as far as racking a slide goes. Of course my Dad did all this at his own pace and was not under stress or threat of bodily injury or death.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Anyone seen that inertial-charging/racking video? <--- "wow"

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    The Glock that practically racks itself?

^ IIRC, that's the one.

It sure as heck ain't gonna be one of our PM9s.

OK everyone..................here goes. I really want to help the person that wants to carry condition #3. Unloaded guns are safer for sure (or are they?). How many persons have been injured or killed by "unloaded guns"? Most of the persons that take the easy concealed carry courses, you know, the ones that just cover the bare minimums and may require the participant to fire one shot SHOULD carry #3. They certainly do not have the proper training to carry condition #1. I would never force anyone to carry condition #1 except for myself. That is what I am trained to do, that is what I practice. If someone wants to carry condition #3 they should get some dummy rounds and practice, practice, practice. Maybe they would be more comfortable with a revolver where an empty cylinder could be carried in line with the barrel and once the trigger is pulled, Bang. We can talk this thing to death.............we are all different and we all need to respect someone else's opinion on Condition #3. Training may be hard to find as most training is based on real-life scenarios based on Military and Law Enforcement experiences. Good luck!!!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

"More of a gimmic than a technique" Was said on the 2nd video, looking at that from a defensive standpoint, it looks like a bigger risk of negligent discharge and counter productive to a draw stroke (lots of excess movement and would negate being able to shoot from retention/hip). Looks hella' cool though.

Might play with that after IDPA this weekend...

Guys check this out..As long as you looking for training videos.

YouTube - &#x202a;Magpul Dynamics - Art of the Dynamic Handgun&#x202c;&rlm;
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

^ I said this elsewhere, but I will say it here, too.

I got the Magpul DVDs at the recommendations of a friend, as I was somewhat apprehensive about going into my first live-fire pistolcraft course completely "green" (I've only been shooting since this late November - before that, it was maybe once every two or even four years, with friends). Sure, by that time, I'd put somewhere near 10K rounds downrange and was at least a reasonable shooter, but still, I was intimidated.

I watched that DVD set nearly continuously for a couple of weeks, and practiced the basic manipulations they'd set out.

True to my friend's word, I felt very well prepared, in my class.

No, I was by no means perfect - but having the knowledge of what was in that instructional series made me much more confident while I was in the class: I had at least the basic know-how in my brain, if not yet the necessary body-memory to be able to perform those tasks under the stress that the live class was able to induce. Which, of course, is why taking classes is important.

-----

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    "More of a gimmic than a technique" Was said on the 2nd video, looking at that from a defensive standpoint, it looks like a bigger risk of negligent discharge and counter productive to a draw stroke.
    ^ That was my take of it, too. Romero's technique (the physical task of performing those actions) looks to be much better (more controlled) than that of:

YouTube - &#x202a;Glock 17 chambering without touching the slide&#x202c;&rlm;

^ Which seems almost to be bringing the muzzle past the centerline.

I'm very familiar with inertial deployment of a folding knives, but this was something that I had not really thought of, which was why I was so bug-eyed.

Looks hella' cool though.
    ^ Yeah, you can say that again!

But then again, so do the Seagal/Pacino press-checks.

-----

Quote Originally Posted by NRAMAN View Post
    If someone wants to carry condition #3 they should get some dummy rounds and practice, practice, practice.
    I think that no matter how someone chooses to carry, they should practice, practice, and practice *their* methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltz View Post
    So in that vein... I've seen some talk about racking the slide by hooking the rear sight on their belt, etc. Is the rear sight, specifically the Glock rear sight, strong enough for practicing that? Seems like a good way to rack the slide in an emergency, but doing it a lot seems like a good way to break off the rear sight.
    I carry a Glock C1, but I've done my share of practicing one handed manipulations. The Glock plastic factory sight I distrust, plus I want night sights, so, for this very reason, I always get the vertically pegged NS, never the ramped ones. Now you have NS, plus a rear sight that's easy to rack with and durable.

Where to rack one handed? I've tried a number of places and rejected all but one. Anything that involves kneeling down is a dealbreaker -- can't afford to relinquish mobility with a non-firing gun. Racking against off-body objects can't be counted on. You'd think racking against your kydex holster would be definitive, but that's surprisingly hard to locate in action.

The only place that always works for me is to rack the rear sight against my gun belt, at the 1:00 - 2:00 location (I'm RH). It's always right there, and the belt always offers solid resistance. It's also in front of you and close to the center line so the gun stays more or less in play.

Racking two handed: if you rack as part of your presentation, it adds effectively no time.

As for the relative need for one handed racking: since C3 was the near-unanimous way of carrying semi-autos for 50 years or so, and has a track record of success, then statements like "you won't do it under stress" or "you'll usually not have your off hand to rack" are clearly untrue.

Racking two handed: if you rack as part of your presentation, it adds effectively no time.

As for the relative need for one handed racking: since C3 was the near-unanimous way of carrying semi-autos for 50 years or so, and has a track record of success, then statements like "you won't do it under stress" or "you'll usually not have your off hand to rack" are clearly untrue.
    Very true. I have carried C3 for years. But there is a difference between carrying C3 and carrying using the Israeli Method. While both carry "unchambered" there is a huge difference between the two. I would NOT carry C3 unless I had been trained to carry it using the Israeli method. If you have to ask what is the difference you don't understand Israeli Combat Shooting.

I have no issue carrying Israeli, if I so choose, whether on or off duty.

Not this thread again...
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Not this thread again...
    Yup. I hope there's seven pages of unchambered wisdom to go around between JD's deleted posts.

JD
    Administrator
    Well seeing as how the OP of this thread doesn't even carry C3 anymore and nothing new that is related to the topic of this thread has been added we're going to call this one closed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links