Carrying Unchambered - Practices, techniques, tips and tricks.

This is a discussion on Carrying Unchambered - Practices, techniques, tips and tricks. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, lets give this one a fair shake, while I personally do not endorse condition 3 carry, there are those that do. The topic of ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Carrying Unchambered - Practices, techniques, tips and tricks.

Lightbulb Carrying Unchambered - Practices, techniques, tips and tricks.

OK, lets give this one a fair shake, while I personally do not endorse condition 3 carry, there are those that do. The topic of Condition 1 vs. Condition 3 has been beaten to death time and time again. For those that choose to carry condition 3, they should be able to discuss methods that will enable them to accomplish their desired tasks without the thread turned into a debate on C1 vs. C3, that's called Thread Hi-jacking and we do actually have an infraction for it. If you do not have anything to add related to the topic of this thread: "...your gun is now unchambered, what methods has your training brought you that seem to work the best for chambering a round quickly and successfully?" don't post as it will be removed.

Regards,
    JD

Going to go about this a different way in hopes that some useful information can be generated without the chambered vs unchambered argument and antics.

Whether you carry chambered or unchambered doesn't matter - the question is your gun is now unchambered, what methods has your training brought you that seem to work the best for chambering a round quickly and successfully?

I personally practice carrying unchambered so this topic is important to me (and others who choose this method), so instead of bickering about this being a non-preferred method by most, lets discuss the techniques used to chamber a round.

Those who carry with one in the hole will benefit from this discussion in case their loaded round goes 'click' and not 'boom', those who carry without one in the hole will benefit from learning new techniques.

So far I've practiced the following:
    Drawing and chambering a round in one fluent motion using my clear hand to grab the slide once 'clearing' my clothes.

Video here for a better representation, it's not me - but closely resembles what I do:
    YouTube - ‪Condition 3 Quick-Draw Practice: Glock 26‬‏

I also practice one handed racking using the sole and belt methods, will be adding the 'behind the knee' method soon to see if it works for me.
    Last edited by JD; June 2nd, 2011 at 02:21 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I have practiced using the rear sights on belt, shoes, holsters, holding the slide with my knees and racking it that way.. weak hand, strong hand.. if it is a full-length gun with an applicable recoil spring I have used tables, chairs and desks.

Though I've tried using the ejection port with some success it doesn't seem to be as consistent as using the rear sights (provided you have the right kind of notch sights that will really catch on what you are trying to use to rack your gun with).

I'll have to try it with my knees as well, oddly enough I hadn't thought of that one - thank you.

I actually tried some of this today, and I was only able to successfully chamber a round once, and it took WAY too long. I tried both against my leg, and using my belt. I was using my belt when I actually got a round chambered. When jamming the sight into my leg, I kept getting a chunk of my jeans caught in the slide. Doesn't seem too feasible for me, but if you can do it, more power to you.

That's why you practice ;)

Trying some of it once doesn't mean it's going to be natural and give you 100% success, you need to find out what works and what doesn't, and why... then practice, practice, practice. It's not only for those who carry unchambered.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I'll have to try it with my knees as well, oddly enough I hadn't thought of that one - thank you.
    I have not found it to be very consistent. It depends a lot on the clothes you are wearing and the time/ability to get in just the right position so your gun won't slip (while making sure you aren't pointing at your own body). It also makes for awkward position holding the firearm.

My thought is that in this situation you might be in that position anyway, so if you were trying to be discreet about racking a firearm it might be the best way to do so without being noticed. I'll have to try it and see if it's what I am picturing in my head.

That's why you practice ;)

Trying some of it once doesn't mean it's going to be natural and give you 100% success, you need to find out what works and what doesn't, and why... then practice, practice, practice. It's not only for those who carry unchambered.
    I had no intention of making it a practical skill, I was just trying to figure out how the heck people manage to do it. lol. I spent a couple hours trying different methods and it just seemed to be horribly unreliable. Maybe it works better with different gear, but I don't see it being anything I'll practice regularly.

VIP Member
    It is a good skill to have in your bag of tricks. What happens if you need to rack the slide and, for whatever reason, have only 1 hand available?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Moderator
    Going to go about this a different way in hopes that some useful information can be generated without the chambered vs unchambered argument and antics.

Whether you carry chambered or unchambered doesn't matter - the question is your gun is now unchambered, what methods has your training brought you that seem to work the best for chambering a round quickly and successfully?

I personally practice carrying unchambered so this topic is important to me (and others who choose this method), so instead of bickering about this being a non-preferred method by most, lets discuss the techniques used to chamber a round.

Those who carry with one in the hole will benefit from this discussion in case their loaded round goes 'click' and not 'boom', those who carry without one in the hole will benefit from learning new techniques.

So far I've practiced the following:
    Drawing and chambering a round in one fluent motion using my clear hand to grab the slide once 'clearing' my clothes.

Video here for a better representation, it's not me - but closely resembles what I do:
    YouTube - ‪Condition 3 Quick-Draw Practice: Glock 26‬‏

I also practice one handed racking using the sole and belt methods, will be adding the 'behind the knee' method soon to see if it works for me.
    These one handed racking methods - particularly being practiced by someone with very little experience - sound like a great way to shoot yourself.

Might I suggest you seek out some training from a qualified professional instructor?

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

nearby furniture, belt, sole. i'd be glad to see a racking holster, which someone mentioned elsewhere. my rear sights are sloped, and for this maneuver i wish they were less so. anyone have sight recommendations? good point about safety. i don't practice with live ammo.

JD
    Administrator
    I will remove some off topic posts and reopen this after dinner, any thread drift/hi-jacking will be dealt with severely.

JD
    Administrator
    Thread opened, keep it on topic. In terms of chambering a round, I'd probably opt for good old Tap, Rack, Bang. It will be imperative that the mag is fully seated in order for the gun to feed that first round.

As far as sights that have a ledge for slide manipulation, check out Heinie Ledge Sights, Trijicon HD sights, and select sights from Wilson and Novak.

Administrator
    Well, remember that in an actual deadly threat scenario you will one hand rack your slide using the rear sight on the concrete curb or a brick wall if need be. A very positive & sure slide rack.

Not something that you'll ever practice much though.
    Buying lots of replacement rear sights can get awfully expensive.
    limatunes and gunthorp like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by klopiyu View Post
    ...my rear sights are sloped, and for this maneuver i wish they were less so. anyone have sight recommendations?
    You can also try the corner of the ejection port, as well as adding some "skater" or traction-tape on the top of the slide.

I find that with the type of shoes I like to wear, the "heel to the sights" method is not always a sure-bet, that if it's wet/muddy, my sights can slip off all too easily: I do much better off (the right) clothing (i.e. I'm not going to use my rain slicker/wind-breaker ).

good point about safety. i don't practice with live ammo.
    At some point, you should practice with live ammo. You don't want to have brain-lock in a SHTF situation because, all of a sudden, your brain yells "hey, you're doing this for the first time with live ammo!!!"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links