NV CCW change 10-1-11

This is a discussion on NV CCW change 10-1-11 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Qualify with one semi auto now authorizes any semi auto AB143...

Thread: NV CCW change 10-1-11

NV CCW change 10-1-11

Qualify with one semi auto now authorizes any semi auto

AB143

2. Remove Ads

The way it should be,over here if you qualify with a semi-auto you can carry anything,but qualify with a revolver limits you to a revolver only
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Have never really understood the reasoning behind limiting the type of weapon you could carry. When I lived in Oklahoma (not sure if it has changes since I left in 98), if you qualified with a semi automatic you were qualified to carry a semi auto, revolver or derringer. If yu qualified with a revolver you could only carry a revolver, and if you qualified with a derringer you could only carry a derringer.

I much prefer the way Virginia does it. If your qualified to carry a gun, you can carry any gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    How odd. In Minnesota, they just refer to the carrying of a pistol in the statutes.

Perhaps the differentiation in certain state's laws was used to placate the anti's, who really have no clue?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I wonder what this means for existing permit holders. As of October 1st can they carry any semi automatic withut requalifying or will we have to get a new permit that states that we are qualified on all semi autos. Anyone know?

I'm guessing if you have any semi auto on your current permit, after Oct. 1 you can carry any semi auto. But I'm using common sense. I'm sure we'll find out more. The Gov. just signed it in the past couple of days.

thats what I would assume. Of course we all know what happens when we assume!!!

The rumor on Nevada Shooters is what I posted. But it's still a guess.

What's this "qualification" of which you all speak?
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

NV requires you to live fire "qualify" with each make,model and caliber semi auto you want to carry. We are talking about the law changing Oct 1 so you only need to live fire qualify with one semi auto to be able to carry any model.

The rule already exists for revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    What's this "qualification" of which you all speak?
    In Missouri, you have to demonstrate the ability to hit a target. Twenty one feet, as I recall. But you can qualify with a .22 and carry whatever you darn well like.
    I think the whole registering of each make and model to be a revenue scheme. Only a fool would expect someone to pick one weapon to carry and stick to that.
    People change, needs change, tastes change. And every time somebody wants to buy a weapon, he also has to go to the DMV and pay a fee to get his permit updated?
    Yea, that's a pure revenue scam for certain if you ask me.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Good old Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearms. No stipulation on what. Years ago, there was a place to put what you would be carrying, and if more than one, they put various.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

I personally prefer Vermont, Arizona, and Alaska's qualification process to carry a concealed firearm. Virginia's is relatively nice as well.

As it sits in KY, at least we don't have any silly qualification here. You could probably qualify with a pellet gun if you got the right instructor (and definitely can with a .22), and carry a shorty shotgun. The instructor in my class had no problem passing a blind guy, after all, he put the required number in the black from 21 feet. If you want to open carry it doesn't matter who you are, as long as you're legally qualified to own the firearm, strap it on and walk in the state capitol if you like.

Hi Guys. I actually registered in this forum to answer this question. I was looking for this answer and found you hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Upon doing some more research I found this:

Frank Adams, Executive Director, Nevada Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Association:
    This issue came up in the last session when we did the same thing with revolvers. What the sheriffs have done, and it is in our CCW procedures, if you have had three or four revolvers listed at that time it was fine. Any revolver was accepted until you renewed your application and then it was changed. It will be the same thing with the CCW. If this bill passes, you can carry any semiautomatic, and then we will change it to revolver and semiautomatic when you get your card renewed.
    This is a quote from the Assembly minutes from the session that you can check out here:

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7.../Final/603.pdf

Cheers

IIRC this was effective last July

Links