Boot carry in texas

This is a discussion on Boot carry in texas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it legal to carry a 4.35" blade in your boot in Texas? I want to carry one in addition to My pocket knife as ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By TVJ

Thread: Boot carry in texas

Boot carry in texas

Is it legal to carry a 4.35" blade in your boot in Texas? I want to carry one in addition to My pocket knife as a back up, because I'm not of age for a handgun.

Blades Designs

2. Remove Ads

You may want to consider the primary self defense purpose of your boots before you use them to carry knifes.

Running.

Knife fights never work out like the movies and are far more gruesome than you can imagine.
    MotorCityGun likes this.

Lol well I'll defend myself with my bare hands (or run lol) forever but I'm mostly worried about protecting the people I'm with

Blades Designs

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    You may want to consider the primary self defense purpose of your boots before you use them to carry knifes.

Running.

Knife fights never work out like the movies and are far more gruesome than you can imagine.

^ I agree completely. That being said, I carry a knife with me and TX says if it is under 5 inches you are good.

Trust me i know, Knife fights suck.

I'm not 100% sure of the length, but if your boot knife is double edged you'll get in to some deep...

Let's just say, you'll need the boots.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Fixed or folding blade? I know folders are restricted to 5.5 inches in Texas.

I don't remember about fixed blades (too tired to look it up), but IIRC a double edged blade may be considered a dagger or dirk, hence illegal. YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

San Antonio has some city laws you need to get learnded on if you go there,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

TVJ
    I find it strange and confusing when people ask legal questions on a message board without searching Google for the actual written law from the particular State's website. It seems like a pretty simple concept to me and a really good legal idea to cover my ***/play by the rules.

What makes this difficult?

PENAL CODE**CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Instead, someone comes on a message board asking random people what they can/cannot do under the law in regards to a lethal weapon.

Is it wanting to be spoon fed, avoid taking personal responsibility to look for yourself?

The advice the person gets may be right or wrong and that person is OK with being told "whatever" by "whoever" as fact.

For example:

I agree completely. That being said, I carry a knife with me and TX says if it is under 5 inches you are good
    versus this from the link above:

TEXAS PENAL CODE TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS. CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS(6)

"Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches
    I realize the Texan that posted 5" was sincere in his answer. But he was flat wrong. Yet the OP likely takes this as truth. In this case it works out "OK" because 5" is under the actual legal limit. Bad info passed on nevertheless. Yet, the actual law is clear and simple.

I wonder where the disconnect occurs that prevents people from going right to the law source? Then citing and asking questions about the text of the law if he/she is confused?

Maybe the OP can help answer my question?

I mean this post sincerely and positively for analytical rigor to the OP and here at DC
    mr surveyor likes this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    In response to "TVJ"... I believe I would tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP. There are a lot of LEO's on this site, I would think he might have been fishing for an answer from one of them, or perhaps looking for some better alternative advise than a knife. Either way I couldn't help notice it was only his second post here, I sure am glad you made him feel welcome! He stated he was "not of age for a handgun". Just no sense "jumping on" a kid for asking a question. We're all here to have fun talking with "like minded people" and perhaps learn a little in the process. but fun is probably the primary objective. I just have to wonder if he had fun, or if he just logged off saying "what a bunch of self-rightous jerks".
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    "TVJ" on second thought...I'm sorry, I was wrong. Not wrong in my thinking or what I said, but wrong in posting it here on open forum. I should have sent it in a PM. I apologize.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    In response to "TVJ"... I believe I would tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP. There are a lot of LEO's on this site, I would think he might have been fishing for an answer from one of them, or perhaps looking for some better alternative advise than a knife. Either way I couldn't help notice it was only his second post here, I sure am glad you made him feel welcome! He stated he was "not of age for a handgun". Just no sense "jumping on" a kid for asking a question. We're all here to have fun talking with "like minded people" and perhaps learn a little in the process. but fun is probably the primary objective. I just have to wonder if he had fun, or if he just logged off saying "what a bunch of self-rightous jerks".
    Stubborn,

Please note my quote:

I mean this post sincerely and positively for analytical rigor to the OP and here at DC
    I wonder what you find murky about my statement? I ended my post specifically with the words "sincere" and "positive" to underscore and highlight the actual tone of my semi-confrontational post.

If the OP wants a howdy, i give him a cheery one in the new members section.

We discuss lethality and lethal weaponry here on DC. I find the stakes very high, and accordingly, take them very seriously.

I intend to hold myself to a very high bar when it comes to Self Defense Risk Control and the Law.

I value this as a subjectively "good" idea.

Cutting corners, especially around State force/lethal force law, creates Problems.

Indeed, I can train to go to jail that way - on bad information that is totally my personal responsibility to verify and confirm.

But officer, someone named xxxxx on DC forums told me it was ok to have a 6" blade in TX. I was just defending myself with it.....I gave xxxxx the benefit of doubt he was right............
    You said:

Jumping on the kid...
    I think its a really good idea for him/anyone to hold themselves to a high standard of personal responsibility regarding the law and their self defense.

If he chooses to recalibrate to a higher level from my example, awesome. He learns an incredibly important tool within two posts at DC -To be self reliant and check legal facts for himself at their source.

If not, that's his choice. Others who get bothered by this - thats cool as well. I MMOB which is to hold/espouse a high bar.

You say:
    what a bunch of self-rightous jerks
    You mean me.

I note that we are on the same team here at DC.

Cheers
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    I find it strange and confusing when people ask legal questions on a message board without searching Google for the actual written law from the particular State's website. It seems like a pretty simple concept to me and a really good legal idea to cover my ***/play by the rules.

What makes this difficult?
    Ya know, I started selling PCs back when DOS was fading out... I sold them as a tool for businesses, and to individuals.

I used to tell folks that the WWW was like having the entire contents of the public library in your basement... only just thrown in a heap with no Dewey decimal system to help you find what you were really looking for. Google and other search engines made that better, in the short term. Now, google and others are like having the entire catalog of knowledge about any single particular topic all thrown in a heap in your basement with no way to determine which link holds the real answer to your query.

Instead, someone comes on a message board asking random people what they can/cannot do under the law in regards to a lethal weapon.

Is it wanting to be spoon fed, avoid taking personal responsibility to look for yourself?

The advice the person gets may be right or wrong and that person is OK with being told "whatever" by "whoever" as fact.
    Well, sometimes folks do try to find the easiest route from a to b... Kinda like stopping at a gas station to ask directions, instead of buying a map.
    Asking on a forum is the closest some come to human interaction nowadays. And the answers they get on forums are as "inaccurate" as "Go up three lights, turn right, when you come to the old school house, turn left, go 3 blocks, turn left at the broken lamp post and go two and a half blocks and you'll see it about half a block ahead" ( the short version would be "Go up four lights, it's right there on the corner."). The map OTOH, would show you that your desired address is ~ 3 mi north on the right.

I wonder where the disconnect occurs that prevents people from going right to the law source? Then citing and asking questions about the text of the law if he/she is confused?
    ...Whereas, on the third tuesday of the month notwithstanding a full moon, dirks of a length not to exceed 5.25 inches in length, as measured from the tang to the tip of the blade along the top surface of the longest portion thereof, shall be construed as a weapon, but not a dangerous weapon, and may be carried by citizens only if worn on a lanyard about the neck. Otherwise, may be carried all days in a boot or sheath on the hip.

...Well, that can be intimidating to anyone but a Texas Lawyer. And, sometimes the poster might be concerned that they would look foolish asking a question about the legalese... and the 5" rule posted by the sincere Texan covers the OP's question safely.

Usually, when I'm trying to make a point, with sarcasm, I use this:

Let me google that for you
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Ok, since we are nit picking here...

He asked if blade 4.35" long is ok.

I told him if he is under 5" he is fine.

As you sited the law says it has to be under 5.5", Thanks for proving i was right.

If he had asked what the longest blade he could carry then i would be wrong. Technically if i had told him that under 2" is safe i would still be right.
    So, thanks for your input Captain Self-righteous.

That being said, I agree with you that getting information from a layperson is flawed. And the Law should be checked, however asking someone for thier opinion should not be descouraged. Just don't take it as the gospel.

Sorry, the whole "Captain Self-righteous" thing was a bit out of line.

Links