Who needs a gun safe?

Who needs a gun safe?

This is a discussion on Who needs a gun safe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you that have a gun safe, how many guns do you have? For those of you that do not have a gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who needs a gun safe?

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Who needs a gun safe?

For those of you that have a gun safe, how many guns do you have?

For those of you that do not have a gun safe how many guns do you have?

EDITING THIS, I did not ask this question right!!

I have a handgun and a shotgun I don't think I need a safe but my best friend thinks i should get a safe, what do you guys and gals think??
    Last edited by Timmy Jimmy; July 28th, 2006 at 11:21 PM.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I had one safe that was jam packed with more in it that would fit according to the manufacturer.. I figured I would go get another safe and spread them out a little. Turns out I either mis-counted or something because now I have two safes with the same overpopulation problem...

My wife swears I must have guns I have forgotten about when I was doing the initial survey. I will never admit to it.

I guess that is the trouble with collecting rimfires... They seem to multiply if left in a safe.

Assistant Administrator
    I only have room for the one safe and have found ways to increase capacity re handguns - added shelves and how I stack etc. Still tho pushing the envelope and it is as well some guns are ''distributed'' ''here and there''

But long guns - problem! Safe holds 8 only so - most C&R and less valuable items have to be either in a gun rack or propped up in various areas! Of those, little used ones with value are disabled by removal of some critical items.

Total inventory - exactly several
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've got a 24 gun safe, that is full up with long guns; hand guns are loaded and spread around the house. Several shelves house a few hand guns that aren't. And, uummm, don't laugh ... this is a selling point .. always remember that .. my wife has a couple of shelves in there for things she considers to be irreplaceable. Like closet space, no matter what you get .. you'll eventually need more.

cray

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I've got a small 90pound floor safe. If I am away someplace for awhile and can't take the HK, it goes in there. The mfg says that I shouldn't use it to store guns because of possible rust problems, but I like it. It works for small amounts of time.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

In answer to the thread title about "who needs a gun safe ?", I'd say that everyone who has guns needs one.

Safe place for guns if kids are around, or if your kids are old enough to have friends over, or if you have a party and have lots of folks in your home...... etc., etc.

Also a way to keep the BG's from more guns should your house be broken into while you are away.

VIP Member
    after I filled up 2 safes, I took a small walkin closet & re-enforced the walls floor & door & turned it into a mini gun room. Complete with an electronic combination dead bolt!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm
    after I filled up 2 safes, I took a small walkin closet & re-enforced the walls floor & door & turned it into a mini gun room. Complete with an electronic combination dead bolt!
    You go dude ...

I WILL use you as an example when my wife says I have too many guns ...

cray

I own just one hand gun and one shotgun as of now 9just started collecting). I own a small 2 handgun safe with electric deadbolt that i keep the handgun in, while the shotty is behind the door. No kids in my house (thank god) im only 21!
    -- Beware a man with many guns, he probably has an army, be more aware of a man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it!

Lead Moderator
    I have a 14 gun safe(long gun) and do not have it filled yet. it is nice to keep the guns handy, yet locked up and out of the kids access.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yeah, I got a safe. American Security non-firelined (thats whats makes a safe pricey / I'm more worried about theft than fire...).
    Holds 16 long guns and a bunch of pistols.
    And its true....always buy a larger safe than you need, because you will need the room later...

7 rifles , 3 shotguns , and 9 pistols . No gun safe . All my long guns have trigger locks or bolt removed and put in my personals safe . Pistols are kept in MVTR bags and hidden throughout the house ( except for my main carry pieces ) . Eventually will do as a friend of mine and just build a vault in the basement since I will continue to by firearms and want to keep them a little more secure.

BTW , the MVTR bags are a moisture , corrosion, and anti static resistive ziplock bag . That way I can store my guns in places that would normally ruin them . Even keep my ammo in them , lol .

The short answer to the question of who needs a gun fafe is people who own guns. Not trying to be a smart ass just stating the obvious. My gun safe allows me to leave home and feel secure in the fact that everything will be there when I get back.

VIP Member
    For the house I do not have a gun safe. I am old enough where my children have left the nest. I put them in certain places at the home so if in need no matter where I am at, I can reach one.

In my car I have a safe bolted down on the inside of my trunk. I did this so if I did have to go into a place where my weapon is not allowed, I have a safe place to put my weapon. I feel all CCW permit owners should have a safe in their vehicle just to make it harder for the BG to get to. I do not want one of my weapons in the hands of a BG.

Administrator
    You do not need to buy a gun safe for one handgun & one shotgun.

There are much less expensive ways to secure two firearms.

With only 2 firearms ~ Save your money.

Buy 2 of the best quality large hardened key padlocks that you can find.

Use Electrical tape to cover the metal so they don't mar up your guns and lock them through the trigger guard behind the trigger to render them inert.

With a revolver...pop the cylinder latch ~ swing the cylinder out & lock the pad lock through the frame opening so that the cylinder cannot close.

Always be mindful of those keys though!
    Put one set in the safe deposit box.
    Keep one set on your person.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links