Anti 2A wifes and girl friends?

This is a discussion on Anti 2A wifes and girl friends? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Aloysius: You are toooo funny, man. That's a great solution, but I doubt it will do much to promote relationship-al harmony! All I can say ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti 2A wifes and girl friends?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Aloysius: You are toooo funny, man. That's a great solution, but I doubt it will do much to promote relationship-al harmony!

All I can say is "don't argue". Take her shooting. That cures it most of the time.

If she won't go shooting with you, you are dealing with a closed mind and you need to make some decisions about the course of your life.

My current wife (No. 2) was mildly anti until I got her to go shooting and hunting. She's not a rabid 2A now, but she has no problem with weapons anymore, at all. And I've got more than I can count.

My first wife was pretty anti, but open-minded enough to try shooting, and liked it, which changed her to a mild anti, although my weapons gave her the heebie-jeebies until we split.

As an aside of questionable relevance, her upbringing and mother (with whom I really....uh...."clashed") had a lot to do with it. They were big-city people in a family where the women tended to dominate the relationships for many generations back. I....uh...."wasn't", to put it mildly.

2. Remove Ads

It's a control issue, part of her plan to "reinvent you". They really can't help it. It's what they do. Tell her to get over it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk! --Tuco

What I did with my mother when I started carrying is e-mail her a story a day of someone being unnecessarily killed or harmed, when a CHL holder probably would have changed the entire situation. We live in a very dangerous world today, and the quicker she understands that the more understanding she'll be. Also try taking her to range, she might like it. OH, and as far as my mother goes, I took her to the range with me twice and she loves it now. We go everytime she visits me, and she'll be getting a gun soon, with my help of course, as she lives in post-Katrina New Orleans.

Good luck!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Quote Originally Posted by GlockinItUp
    OH, and as far as my mother goes ... she'll be getting a gun soon ... as she lives in post-Katrina New Orleans.
    Reality is a beautifully, often brutally, effective teacher. Kudos for Mom!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I turned my wife, by taking her shooting. She now has her Mass. LTC all lawful purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumetre
    What experiences have you guys had? I just told my g/f about my ccw and she doesnt get it at all. Other then getting a new g/f what do you recomment because that isnt an option. (over 4 years)
    My wife tried that crap after we got married. NO guns in the house, no nothing. I told her take it or leave it and don't let the door hit her in the butt on the way out.

She quickly gave up, and now carries a CW of her own and will NOT leave the house without it and an extra mag.
    Mighty HD

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    When we got married ( lets just say early 80s ) My wife did not understand my fixation with not only carrying a pistol ( i wont talk about the legality at that time ) but also having a pistol in the car ... Untill ..........

Her and a friend went out for a drink in a small town in extreme eastren Kansas .. They had a couple ( i suspect one each lol ) and went to leave . A rather large and forcefull local farm lad followed them out of the bar and decided that at least my wife was going to accompany him on further adventures , going to the extreme ( and mistake ) of putting hands on her once she was in the car . Now understand I knew this young man , and normaly he would not hurt a woman for nothing , I cannot say honestly he had more in mind than more drinks and visiting while driveing arround . Howeaver she ended the incident with a .45 that was in the car . .. and later he stated that " When you look down the tube of that $%@#*^ thing , it looks like a flying ashtray wating to eat your lunch " ( it was a little detonics ) . Since then she not only has accepted my firearms , but reached certification as a full time LE , and once we left that maintains a CCW .. Oh yea , she still carrys that dammed detonics normaly , when she is not packing the Browning HP , or one of the other pistols that she has " taken over " from me lol .

Edited to add ... I still know that fella , saw him last week , we are no longer what would call friends , but as far as i know he has never again tried to intemidate a little blonde , or any other hair color for that matter .. that overgrown fool is now one of the most polite folks you will eaver meet lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Since the initial post asked for advice/ideas, here goes...

In addition to educating your g/f about the wisdom of being prepared to defend yourselves, do some "hands on" educating (no...not what you're thinking!). Let me give an example.

When I met my wife, she had not been exposed to firearms in her early life nor in her previous marriage. So, I started with a .22 and we went to the range to plink at paper and steel. She seemed to enjoy it. We didn't overdo it, and shot a gentle caliber, with the emphasis on having some fun. I had printed out some targets of a famous bad guy, so she enjoyed punching holes in that one.

That led to more shooting, introducing some heavier calibers. She fell in love with an old S&W Model 10 that my Dad had left me. We then started to call that one "her gun." Then, for a birthday, I surprised her with her own new Ruger .22 rifle, decked out with scope, sling and case. The rest is history. By the way, that old .38, bought by my Dad in 1967, continues to be her house gun for self-defense, lying at the ready in a one-gun electronic safe.

She enjoys shooting occasionally, about one out of five trips to the range she goes with me. Unfortunately, she wants to shoot every single gun we own, so it leads to a lot of cleaning afterward.

Then, she got her permit and now carries--a nice new S&W 642 with Crimson Trace grips.

It all started with a few "kind and gentle" trips to the range. Face it, shooting is fun, and can even become addictive. Expose her to the fun part of shooting and the self-defense element will likely follow.

Good luck!
    Last edited by JimmyC4; July 29th, 2006 at 02:57 PM.

Easy fix:

Step 1 – Take her shooting, if she likes it, problem solved; if she doesn’t like it, go to step 2.
    Step 2 – Get a new girlfriend – problem solved.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I want to make this perfectly clear. Just in case my wife ever reads this thread.

I like my Kimber alot and I think it is very important for everyone to take responsibility for their own protection BUT

I LOVE MY WIFE! and if for some reason she said get rid of the gun I would do exactly as she said.

But honey I know you would never do that, because I love you and I want to grow old with you and if I have to kill a bad guy to protect you or our lovely daughter I will.

So are we clear?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

My wife is from the UK so her understanding of guns was nonexistant. When I told her I wanted to get a handgun as well as my CCL she took the "Hell no" stance. When she asked why I felt we needed a pistol in the house I explained it to her like this:

I asked her if her car had any safety devices on it?
    "Like what," was her response.
    "You know, seat belts, anti-lock brakes. That stuff." I said.
    She said I knew what it had on it and to get to my point (the frustration had begun).

I asked if she uses her seatbelt all the time. She said she does. I then asked if she used her air-bags all the time. This brought a dumbfounded look to her face. She said, well I won't repeat exactly what she said but it was along the lines of get to the point.

So I asked her if just having the air-bags in her car, even though she never saw them or used them on a daily basis, made her feel safer in case of an . She of course said they did. And at that point she realized the point to my rambling. I may have the gun on me and may never use it but if the time comes that we need it, it's there just like the air-bags.

VIP Member
    My ex-missus was anti when we met and dated....I told her that I will continue to purchase firearms and related gear and shoot....if she had a major issue with it not to marry me. She didn't and we did. She actually got into shooting and I'm sure she still does.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    My wife "tolerates" at best....
    hoping to convert her to this side of the force, but as long as they cost $ she has reservations....
    As an aside, I tolerate her HGTV......
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

My favorite line I use:

"I don't remember asking your opinion." I use that one whenever she tries to give me the look or resist.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Print out the entire thread on PACIFISM being the ULTIMATE IMMORALITY and all the posts to it and have her read all of it.... see if she gets it then. I especially like the little stories at the start. I'm sure they're hyperbole, but they offer an excellent illustration! I think the thread is in the 2nd Amendment section.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links