Anti 2A wifes and girl friends? - Page 3

Anti 2A wifes and girl friends?

This is a discussion on Anti 2A wifes and girl friends? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have known marriages to break up over this situation! When I met my wife for the first time, I made it clear what I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have known marriages to break up over this situation! When I met my wife for the first time, I made it clear what I was all about. Not just the guns but the politics and activism too! Must have done ok. This August makes it 18 years and for our first anniversary she got me a rifle. But together we have seen several relationships and at least one marriage go down the tubes.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    My wife "tolerates" at best....
    hoping to convert her to this side of the force, but as long as they cost $ she has reservations....
    As an aside, I tolerate her HGTV......
    Actually, I LOVE HGTV!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Hint...the guns are paid off...g/fs and wives--you pay forever.

If your gf will not listen to reason or continues to argue about it (not looking for a solution, but for a fight)...kick her to the curb and start anew.

Guns don't get jealous if you shoot other guns...

I can't relate to this at all, my wife and I grew up in an area where guns were used to "put meat on the table." Everybody had them and everybody knew how to use them.

When we got married, we made a big deal out of shopping for our first guns. We didn't have a lot of money in those days, so we decided what we needed and bought a few that we still have today. Today, we both have a CHL and carry.

We also made sure that our children understood the need to be armed.

It has always been a foreign concept for me when people say that they don't want guns around them. They may as well say that they don't want a refridgerator in their kitchen. I have never had a home from the day I was born that did not have guns.

My heart goes out to someone who has to make a decision between keeping guns or a girlfriend.

I understand that this may not be an acceptable answer for most of you guys with anti-2A ladies out there but, I say if they are anti-2A, dump them. Unless you are 100% deeply in love with a woman, life is too short to listen to her tell you that your life AND HERS are not worthy of fighting for. If she doesn't care enough about her life to protect it, what makes you think she is capable of caring about you to any real degree?

IMO, anyone who is not willing to fight for their own life isn't worthy of that life that God gave them. Life is a God given gift and to not fight to protect and defend it, even to the point of killing your attacker, well....if it isn't a sin, it damn well should be.

My wife and I both carry. She carries a Sig P239, I carry either a PT-111 or XD .40sc. We have 5 kids. No one is going to hurt either of us or one of our kids. My wife and I are each others back up. We train together, we shoot together as a family.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

+1!

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111
    I understand that this may not be an acceptable answer for most of you guys with anti-2A ladies out there but, I say if they are anti-2A, dump them. Unless you are 100% deeply in love with a woman, life is too short to listen to her tell you that your life AND HERS are not worthy of fighting for. We train together, we shoot together as a family.
    I have to agree. When I FIRST met my wife, I let her know upfront how important guns were to my worldview & POLITICS. In fact our SECOND date was to the range! She knew if she wasn't 100% on this single issue....we were history before it went any further. But God knew what HE was doing.

Here's an example: A few months ago, I came home from work and my wife was in the back of the house. I closed the door and called out that I was home. She heard the door shut, but not me calling. SHE called out to me, but I didn't hear HER.

Next thing I know, here she comes slicing the pie around the corner, cocked and locked 45 Combat Commander (hers) in a good position and her finger is off the trigger. Many husbands would be shocked. I was EXULTANT! YES! Just as she'd been trained. More verification that even after 18 years she's a KEEPER! Of course I had to point out that the two dozing Newfoundland dogs could have been a clue.

But she remembered Nana our first Newfoundland (who has long ago crossed RAINBOW BRIDGE) who slept thru our attempted burglary where I went hand to hand (and won) with a punk. So she was still correct in all of her actions.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    She heard the door shut, but not me calling. SHE called out to me, but I didn't hear HER. Next thing I know, here she comes ... cocked and locked 45 Combat Commander (hers) in a good position and her finger is off the trigger. Many husbands would be shocked. I was EXULTANT! YES! More verification that even after 18 years she's a KEEPER!
    She should be very proud she's got situational awareness, the mental state, the capability to protect her family so effortlessly. I'd be willing to bet a good percentage of folks here wouldn't have reacted so smoothly (myself included). Kudos to her. "Keeper," indeed!! Now, about that ninja suit that needs darning ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

when i met my wife she was a liberal yuppie type that didnt understand why anyone would need a gun. when she found out that i carry it nearly ended our relationship. i stood firm, and she grew to accept my guns as part of me. she eventually went shooting, and now owns several of her own guns.

if you (anyone) give up your guns because your woman told you to, you arent a man anyway and you deserve to be hawked by her on every little thing you do for the rest of your life.

I've been married to the same wonderful woman for 32 years. I bought my first gun 3 years ago.

It's funny; we never discussed guns one way or the other. When I decided to take a basic pistol class, she didn't care.

When I bought my 1911, she wanted to hold it and her only comment was, "its heavy".

I've been shooting a lot for the last 3 years and about 6 months ago, she said, "if you are going to keep those around the house, I guess I better learn how to use them". WOW....talk about getting excited. I think I might have even drooled a little.

She has now shot a 1911, S&W620, S&W640, Taurus 85, and Beretta 92.....and she shoots much better than I did when I started.

Who knows, I'm not going to push it but maybe she will decide to get her permit. Like I said, she is a wonderful woman.

I did not own a gun when my wife and I got married, however I was very pro-2A, and she never objected. However, when we got married and I decided to get a gun, she was very much against it - citing safety concerns, etc.

I talked to her about it for a while, then went out and got it in spite of her objections. I also immediately got my CCL.

That was five years ago.

Today, she is still uncomfortable around my guns (yes I now have several), but never complains. She even mildly encouranges me to get one when I talk about one I like since she knows I enjoy them.

About a year ago, I took her through the CDC website and ran a couple reports on gunshot statistics for her in real-time. I asked her ahead of time how many people she thought were killed accidentally with guns that were less than 14 years old. I then ran the report with her watching on the CDC site. The number was so much lower than even I imagined it would be. Then, I did a report of how many accidental pool deaths there were with the same age group. It was hundreds of times higher.

So my advice: Don't let any person control your legal, affordable activities. You will grow bitter over time and it will hurt your relationship. Don't do it to her either. Let her buy her things, you buy yours.

Also, facts go a long ways to dispell bad information.
    Right makes might - Abraham Lincoln

My wife was against guns when we met. When we met, 15 years ago this September and married 8 of those this September, the subject never really came up. When it did once in a blue moon, she did not feel safe around them and really did not want me to have them in the house. I only had my 10/22 and my uncle's old Mossberg .410 turkey gun at the time, no handguns and no CCW. She was so dead-set against it that she wanted me to get rid of them before we moved into our current house and started thinking about kids. I of course said "Hell no. That ain't happnin" and she left it at that. She cited every safety concern I had ever heard the antis groan about. She was not going to change my ideals on that and that was it. That was only 3 or so years ago...

Once we had my first son, things started to change a bit. Life changed, careers changed, and feelings changed. I decided to enter the fire service and got hired full-time. This put my work schedule in a 24 on-72 off schedule which meant I was not going to be home 2 nights a week, at a minimum, and she was going to be on her own. I work in the town that I live in so I was only a matter of minutes away but regardless, I was not going to be home those nights. The straw that pushed her over the edge and made her realize what real life was about was a spot she saw one night on 60 Minutes or 48 Hours, one of those nighttime news shows. It ran a story about these 2 kids that would pick people at random and then stalk them. They would make a plan and pick a time to "hit" the house while the person was home. They would knock on the door and then gun down the person as they opened it. Afterwards they would rob the house and intend to leave the victim dead so as to have no witness. When asked why these deviants were planning to do this, they replied "Because we wanted to."

And that was enough. She finally realized that there were BAD people in this world. The day after that spot, she came to me about getting a handgun for HD and looking into CCW. Within 3 months we both had our permits, had taken our first class together, and had an XD with range time behind it for both of us. Shortly after that, we bought a Kahr MK9 for her to CCW. She became a believer overnight once she realized how violence can happen to anyone for any reason. Bad guys at the front door do not intend to wait for the PD to come and probably won't be swayed by harsh language. I give her all the credit for admitting that she was wrong about her devotion to never feel safe around firearms and I'm extremely proud that she finally decided to take responsibility for her own protection and that of our family.

She's a keeper!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Without thought of firearms. Communicate w/ your significant other. If you cannot come to some agreement, agree to end the relationship. Otherwise, work on improving your relationship. Anything else would NOT be fair to you OR your significant other.

As for me. ... Before I married, I talked to her. I told her, I hunt/fish/shoot (CCW, target and hunt) /drive a pickup and ride a motorcycle. I am not willing to give that up for a woman, any woman at any time, period!!!. I also am certain there are certain things she is not willing to give up to be with a man.

I asked her to please make peace with it or end the relatiojnship. I am not willing to give up my loves AND I do not think it fair of her to enter into this unawares. I'd rather end it now than later if you disagree w/ my life.

So far it has worked out OK. She has her Motorcycle license, but is happy to ride pillion on my bike. She has her PA CCW, but does not carry, she is happpy w/ my CCW when we are together. I do not push her further than getting licensed as a MC rider or licensed as CCW. I provide a home SD weapon for her and encourage her to CCW (and will provide her w/ SD weapon of her choice) and provide her w/ anytime access to range AND someone else (NRA certified) to train her if she is not comfortable shooting w/ me. The best thing for a SO to learn is to have some neutral 3rd party train them.

What she does after my offers is her decision, not mine. I will support and encourage her further, but not try to force her further.

Also, I do her "girly/other" stuff because I honor her as a person and an individual. Relationships are give and take both ways.

If you are questioning your relationship because of something so fundamental as CCW / 2nd A, then I would recommend you do some soul searching and be honest to yourself and your potential mate; Whatver the outcome.

I agree with several here.

I'm not gonna put up with someone complaining about my owned firearms including several handguns and "assault rifles".

My wife is fine with it...she comes from a gun-friendly family, so I'm lucky in that regard. She's not into guns, but she doesn't freeze in fear when in the presence of them...she'll even go to the range with me! :D

Well I got the ball rolling. After she read the articles that P95carry posted it is starting to make sence to her. I will keep you guys up to date when I can get her out to the range.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links