Anti 2A wifes and girl friends?

This is a discussion on Anti 2A wifes and girl friends? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is very, very until infinity anti-gun. I have always had guns and hunted and stuff. Pretty much all she ever said was that ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anti 2A wifes and girl friends?

My wife is very, very until infinity anti-gun. I have always had guns and hunted and stuff. Pretty much all she ever said was that she hates them and wishes I would get rid of them. Well then she just found out about 2 months ago that I have been carrying and well it wasn't pretty. It has been a main topic of discussion at least a couple of times a week. Finally this past weekend she has finally said that she does not like it at all and that I am going to stop it period. She tells me that it is dangerous and unnecessary and that is why we have police. She says it will do nothing but get me in trouble and she doesn't want to be a part of it when it happens, she says only criminals and cops carry guns. She said if I can't comply she is gonna go. I flat out told her that in no way at all were the guns gonna go nor would I stop carrying and that more than likely that the gun collection will continue to grow and that she needs to accept it or do what she has to do. Maybe I'm a jerk I don't care I will not be a victim nor will I watch her or my 11 year old be one. I could not live with knowing I might have been able to prevent it. That was three days ago she hasn't brought the topic up again and things seem normal around here so hopefully she has accepted it, we will see I guess

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    She tells me that it is dangerous and unnecessary and that is why we have police. She says it will do nothing but get me in trouble ...............
    These statements totally yank my chain - they are groundless and emotion based, totally.

Go to this thread http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=12325 - which I stickied today and print out the two items I reproduced and have her read them. If she is unchanged after those then there is no hope!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by HoggLegg
    She tells me that it is dangerous and unnecessary and that is why we have police
    you need to point out Warren v. District of Columbia

http://hematite.com/dragon/policeprot.html

http://psacake.com/dial_911.asp

nothing against LEO's but according to http://www.gunfacts.info/ 11% of police shooting kill an innocent bystander, but only 2% of shootings by citizens kill an innocent bystander.

Lightbulb ever write a check with your mouth that you can't cash with your butt......

Quote Originally Posted by HoggLegg
    She said if I can't comply she is gonna go. I flat out told her that in no way at all were the guns gonna go nor would I stop carrying and that more than likely that the gun collection will continue to grow and that she needs to accept it or do what she has to do. Maybe I'm a jerk I don't care I will not be a victim nor will I watch her or my 11 year old be one. I could not live with knowing I might have been able to prevent it. That was three days ago she hasn't brought the topic up again and things seem normal around here so hopefully she has accepted it, we will see I guess
    Called her bluff and she realized it WAS indeed a bluff. Kudos to you...that took serious guts. They say that the definition of a conservative is a liberal that's been mugged. I hope that doesn't happen to your wife, but if it does, I know you'll be ready. Your wife sounds a lot like the rest of MY family...on my side. My wife's side is all USMC types. Like I said, I have seen more than my share of marriages break apart over this very issue.

You ever take her shooting? Maybe a little 22 rifle? I wouldn't even go to a range....too much noise and activity. If you can find some safe rural land to plink on with a good backstop where it's just the two of you and the 22 report get's carried away on the wind...a couple of bullseyes goes a long way to showing a person that it IS a skill and it IS seriously fun and you can build from there....
    Last edited by ExSoldier; August 1st, 2006 at 05:55 PM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My situation is similar to many here, my wife didn't grow up around guns and her family is mostly anti-2a so her initial feelings were along the lines of why would you do that, it isnt safe to keep those in the house, etc.

I just talked to her about guns as part of regular conversation, enphasised the training and safety side of things, talked about it as an interesting hobby that would get me outdoors instead of stuck in front of the computer etc.

It went from there to her wanting to learn about my guns so she knew how to use them; then I started mentioning more local news stories about robberies and shootings around the time I got my CCW and she wanted to take a course to learn how to shoot different guns: she went to an women only introductory course and had a great time, so now we are saving up to buy her an AR-15.

Dumetre: sounds like you are going about it the right way; don't make it a problem between the two of you, instead make it a shared interest that brings you closer.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

I'd been wanting to get a gun for a few years, but my wife was against it due to our kids being young (I tended to go alnog with her at the time, though my mindset has now changed).

Last summer there was a home invasion in our neighborhood; 3 armed men in broad daylight. It made the news and I made sure she saw it. I saw the opportunity and took it, we had a S&W 642 .38sp the next afternoon. This was the first gun wither of us had ever owned, I'm sad to say, but you have to start sometime. I'll admit, we were both a but intimidated with the gun at first.

Next step was signing up for a gun safety class. In fact, this happened to be a CCW class that covered safety. We both attended, passed the written exam and qualified on the range. I applied for and obtained my CCW permit shortly thereafter but my wife didn't want to. I really didn't think I'd use the CCW, just that it would be "good to have". I didn't start carrying until many months after having the CCW.

Sometime later on a range trip with my wife I made an unannounced stop at the Sherriff's office and told her she was going to apply for a CCW, my treat. She protested at first but eventually went in and applied. She now has her CCW and though she has only carried once for practice says she wants the .38 to carry. This "unfortunately" (heh) required me to purchase a a new CCW weapon (Sig P239 SAS). We also have an M&P .40 as a "house gun".

I now carry pretty much everywhere, and perfectly comfortable (but never careless) around the guns and sleep with the M&P beside the bed. Big change since 1 yr ago today we didn't even own any guns and clearly fell into the category of "sheeple".

So for some people it's a gradual process, others require some sort of event to act as a catalyst.

My Wife, although not a current CCW, took the class, and just needs to send in her application. Originally she was a little nervous around guns, but that didn't last very long. Took her out shooting a few times, bought her a CZ and the rest is history.
    My current challenge is my 18 year old daughter that is getting ready to head off to college in the fall. While she likes to get out and shoot....especially the AR-15, she's not keen on people walking around with concealed handguns. She knows I always carry or have a gun within arms reach in the Jeeps, but I think I may use some of the stuff that P95 posted on page one, and see where it goes.

Stay safe, carry always.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly
    Sometime later on a range trip with my wife I made an unannounced stop at the Sherriff's office and told her she was going to apply for a CCW, my treat. She protested at first but eventually went in and applied.
    That's good. When my wife, fiancee at the time, and I went to the courthouse for our marriage license, we took a detour to the sheriffs office in the courthouse first to get her CCW. She was in a good mood getting the marriage license that she did not protest one bit on the CCW permit. After that it was NRA training.

It can be tough. If they're so anti as to lead you to believe there's no hope...cut and run because it's only going to cause more problems down the road. If they aren't anti...hang on tight!. I had a good friend that I had known for a number of years and the gun subject just never came up (err I just never brought it up) so I guess she didn't know. We eventually ended up dating and after a few months had a slight problem. She discovered my CCW while we were uh...intimate. Needless to say the "moment" ended. A couple of weeks went by and I heard nothing from her and couldn't reach her like she just dropped off the planet. I didn't even get a chance to discuss the issue, she just immediately distanced herself. That kind of attitude I didn't expect especially since we had already known each other for a good while before we started dating. I eventually got in touch with her after about a month her explanation was that we weren't right for each other. About a year later I found out from another friend that she had confided that it was about the gun (which I already figured). So ...If you find one that isn't Anti, Hang on! They could be a keeper.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links