Anti 2A wifes and girl friends?

This is a discussion on Anti 2A wifes and girl friends? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What experiences have you guys had? I just told my g/f about my ccw and she doesnt get it at all. Other then getting a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What experiences have you guys had? I just told my g/f about my ccw and she doesnt get it at all. Other then getting a new g/f what do you recomment because that isnt an option. (over 4 years)

Hey buddy, I have been in the same situation as you with a g/f, my mother and my girlfriends mother....all you can do is try and explane to them why it is that you carry and why you feel that it is nessessary for you to do so.....unfortunatly, in many cases people refuse to see other points of views other then their own. If that is the case, just have to live with it (or get a new G/f haha)

Hope this helps
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a
    large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

Suprisingly any past g/f s were cool with it. One actually thought it was kinda hot. I thought that was ok!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I usually take them shooting. I tell my anti friends to just come with me once. If they don't like it at all, then they can stop and we will leave at any time. I actually turned one of my anti friends into a very-much-so pro-2A girl. She's probably a better shot than I am (which she swears is because of my instruction hahaha riiiiight).

Once you take them shooting, they usually have a really good time. If you can get them to enjoy themselves then it usually flows really easy after that.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

unfortunately, it is very difficult to change a person's mind.
    of course it may be easier to change g/f, but you've said that this is not an option then I'll respect that.

there are plenty of bad guys with guns, I'm glad that some of the good guys are willing to take the responsibility to balance that.
    offer to take her to the range;
    I'm lucky - my wife likes to shoot and respects my right to carry, though she sometimes doesn't think it's necessary.
    I carry anyway.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    If this g/f is for real then she would do you a favor, right?

Ask her to take 30 minutes and sit down at the computer with you and take her through this forum for a half hour.

If that does not do the trick then she is never going to see our point of view.

Not saying you should get a new girlfriend but if you have been together for 4 years and she does not already know you are a gun person then she is not paying attention, and you have bigger problems than her not getting you being a CHL.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Assistant Administrator
    It is hard to get things across to some folks - let me exploit the writings of others to help you find better ways to explain -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guest columnist Will Dougan, 30, is director of music ministries at a local church.

August 17, 2003

"Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one who is responsible for the lives of others."

- Catechism of the Catholic Church, No. 2265 (1997)

The question "why do you choose to carry a firearm?" has haunted me.

I am a fairly normal guy. I love to eat barbecue, I pay taxes, I vote. I'd like to take my wife out more often (to eat barbecue), I attend church and I'm a baseball fan - just like many other men in Memphis.

One thing that makes me different from some of those men is that I carry a gun. I do so because I truly believe that preserving the safety and well-being of my wife, my children and myself is my duty.

Do I think there are villains around every corner waiting to pounce? Certainly not. To quote the Boy Scout motto, my intent is only to "be prepared."

I carry a spare tire in my car, have emergency supplies at home, and always wear my seatbelt, all so that I will be prepared. I have used my spare tire twice, never used the emergency supplies and found my seatbelt's restraints necessary only once. So why do I still maintain all those safeguards? Because I know that when I do need them, I'll need them desperately.

For me, a handgun is much the same - a safeguard. I carry it and train with it just in case I ever need it.

I hope never to need my gun. I avoid places I think might not be safe. I pay close attention to what is going on around me, so that I can stay one step ahead of potential dangers. I do not look for trouble nor go around with a chip on my shoulder.

I love my family more than anything on Earth. I want my children to grow up, go to school, move out and give me grandchildren. I want my wife and me to live and love each other until death do us part - when we are very, very old. The thought of losing them or having them lose me makes my eyes well up and lodges a lump in my throat.

I grew up in rural Madison County, where guns were a part of life, not something to be feared or mistrusted. We all had them, we all used them, and we all respected them.

A gun was and is a tool - nothing more, nothing less. You would never know my gun is there; it is safely tucked away in a manner that renders it harmless unless it is called upon. When you are at my home, there is no sign of a firearm; they are all stored in locked safes.

I take my duty as husband and father seriously. Part of that duty is being willing and able to protect my loved ones - from drugs, economic dangers and physical threats. The words of my father ring in my ears: "With great privilege comes great responsibility." I carry a gun because it is my responsibility alone - not that of the police, nor the government, nor the community - to defend the precious lives that God has entrusted to me.

Although I have great distaste for the possibility of taking a life, I recall the words attributed to St. Augustine: "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."

Fathers are like sheepdogs. We must be persistent, gentle, playful and, at times, ferocious. On occasion, we must become like the wolf that threatens our flock.

For me, that means owning, carrying and undergoing extensive training with a firearm, so that when the wolf appears out of the shadows, I will be prepared to defend what the Master has given me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://badgerherald.com/oped/2005/12...carry_prov.php

Concealed carry provides protection.

Friday, December 9, 2005
    I grew up in Wisconsin. I am a University of Wisconsin alum, and many of my friends and family live in Madison. I am currently a police officer in South Dakota.

As a police officer, I may legally carry a concealed weapon when I visit my family in Madison. This is a right that should not only be afforded to police officers like myself, but all law-abiding citizens who choose to take on the extra responsibility to keep their families and their communities safe.

In my professional experience in South Dakota, a ?shall-issue? concealed-carry state where permits are issued to anyone who can pass a background check, I have never had ? nor heard of ? any problems with a person legally carrying a concealed pistol. However, I do know of several instances where a legally possessed firearm has saved innocent lives during the commission of a violent crime.

Concealed-carry permit holders act as first responders, as do many ordinary citizens who know CPR, first aid or how to use a fire extinguisher. Their actions are often the difference between life and death. The same holds true for concealed-carry permit holders.

As police, we simply cannot be everywhere ? nor would the public want us to be. When most violent criminal acts, including shootings, robberies, rampages and rape, are over within minutes ? if not seconds ? the response time of police is simply not fast enough. The training individuals will receive to obtain a concealed-weapons permit under the PPA will make them qualified first responders. Like those certified in first aid, we won?t expect them to perform major surgery. But it will be adequate for stabilizing a bad situation until professionals arrive.

Those who oppose this law will try to claim that there will be gunfights, people will look for fights and ?blood will run in the streets.? In my professional experience, and after significant research I?ve completed on concealed-carry laws in other states, this is simply not true. In fact, I have not been able to find a single state that has legalized concealed carry in the last 50 years and has turned around and re-criminalized it. In fact, I have found concealed-carry permit holders in most states are far less likely to be involved in criminal activity than other citizens.

I do not believe I deserve special rights because I am a law enforcement officer. I am, and will always be, a citizen first. I believe there are many good members of our communities who are willing to take on extra responsibilities to keep their communities safe and to serve as first responders to stabilize dangerous situations. If they want to step up and be prepared to do their part if it is ever needed, as a police officer, I am thankful for their help.

Adrian Alan is a University of Wisconsin alumnus and municipal patrol officer in South Dakota.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Tell her that she can be anti 2A as long as you can be anti 1A. Then tell her to shut the %$^& up. See how she likes that.

Seriously, I have been married forever-and-a-day, but my wife is ok with it. She has her own CCW permit but she could take it or leave it. If I was starting out with someone new and they told me they were anti 2A it would be the end of the relationship.

I think she will be able to relate to those articles P95 so I passed them on. Thanks. I will keep you guys updated on my progress. She likes the fact that I wont be wearing just t-shirts anymore and will be getting some button up shirts. lol

700,000 police officers simply cannot be everywhere when needed in a country of 300 million people across 3.7 million square miles. It's not possible to expect, nor rational to hope/pray for, the miracle of divine intervention down the country lane or on that dark street when the inevitable occurs. When it comes down to it, little Johnny is on his own on the playground at the instant the bully is in his face. Same with this John Q. Public on his way home to his quaint country cottage. It's not fantasy. It's reality. And the reality is: policing is great for prosecution, but horrible for protection due to the simple fact of not being able to be there exactly when you need it.

The Constitution's 2A was in recognition of the ideal that no citizen should ever be deprived of the most basic right to defend himself and his family, certainly not by the People's own government. IMO, it is the single most important natural right, and in this country the single most-important legal right and principle. Not necessary? Perhaps not until you need it, at which point it's literally a matter of life and death.

The USA's founding idealogies include:
    * The right to defend oneself.
    * The right to be secure from unreasonable actions from the government.
    * The right to liberty.
    * The right to own property.
    * The right to think, speak and communicate freely.

The basics. And pretty darned important, each and every one of them. Very much taken for granted ... until we are deprived one of them, at which point it's painfully clear how valuable those core principles are.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 29th, 2006 at 08:47 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Dude, she isn't going to change. You think it is bad now, it can only get worse. Cut your losses. I choose guns over my wife any day of the week. Guns are a right, she is a privilege. Getting a new wife or GF is always an option.

You can try and explain why until you turn blue. If you can't get a simple agreement or understanding out of her, there is no hope. Yes I have lost GFs because of guns. I don't care. They were not willing and able to accept the total package, then be gone. I'll find someone who will.

How did I explain it to my wife? I told her what I am going to do and didn't ask her opinion on it. Simple. This is my lifestyle, deal with it or be gone. Her choice. If she leaves, let her go. Seems harsh, but life is tough. Even tougher if you're a pansy.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

My fiance' and I have been together five years. She was anti 2A right up until I took her to the range. We occassionally have casual converstations related to concealed carry and why it is neccessary, but overall she understands my point of view. After I took her to the range, she decided that she liked guns and the idea of having them around for protection. She's now talking about getting her CHL as soon as she turns 21 (which is in September). You may not get that drastic of a turnaround with your g/f, but I think a trip to the range will definately open her eyes a bit.

Good Luck!
    Eddie
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Why is it always the women?

Why is it always the women who have a problem with preparation for self defense? I've pondered this for some time, and I think it must be hormonal. It must require a certain level of testosterone to instinctively know that evil exists, a sudden attack is possible, and you must be prepared to deal with it properly.

With women, they have to be persuaded on a rational level, through careful instruction or unfortunate examples, that this is the way the world is. It is not automatic and instinctive in them, as it is with most men.

One of my favorite quotes is a statement by Suzanna Gratia Hupp, a representative in the Texas legislature, on the Second Amendment. Hupp was the person who had the misfortune to be in the Kileen, Texas, Luby's Cafeteria with her two parents when the armed maniac drove his truck through the front of the building and proceeded to shoot down the customers until he was stopped. Hupp saw both her parents killed and was unable to do anything to stop it. She later ran for the legislature and was a key backer of the Texas CCW law. She said:

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual...as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

Hupp is a woman who learned respect for the Second Amendment the hard way, through unfortunate experience. Hopefully most women will learn the easier way, through kind instruction by a man.

I guess I wouldnt go as far as to say she is anti 2A but that she doesnt understand the need to carry a gun all the time which I am working on. She is also a child care provider and is worried about having guns in the home if she did start a daycare. I need to look into it but there should be an area of the house that the kids arnt allowed and if I have a gun safe there I dont see why that would be a problem. I wonder how the law would apply in the situation of a home daycare since the daycare is suppose to be a pistol free zone.... It seems that every day I do research to answer questions I have about concealed carry and end up with more questions then answers :)

Lead Moderator
    I explained to my girlfriend right off that I was an avid hunter and shooter. Her being a fellow hunter helped. choose your women wisely, if they cannot deal with you having guns, it will not get better.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links