FYI: Update on GF against carrying

FYI: Update on GF against carrying

This is a discussion on FYI: Update on GF against carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few years ago, I posted a thread about my gf adamantly not wanting me to carry: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-carrying.html After my original thread, I decided to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: FYI: Update on GF against carrying

Thumbs up FYI: Update on GF against carrying

A few years ago, I posted a thread about my gf adamantly not wanting me to carry:

Girlfriend NOT happy about me carrying

After my original thread, I decided to carry everywhere (that I legally could) and just not tell her. She eventually grew impartial to it and didn't pay much attention to it except rolling her eyes when she felt it on my waist. Well, I would like to announce that as of this weekend, she has agreed to get her CWP! I cannot express how excited I am about this. For those of you wondering how I got her to this point, it took a lot of work (evidenced by the fact that the original thread was in 2008). The main contributer was me occasionally showing or telling her about local robberies/murders. Another main factor was encouragent when we did go shooting, "Great shot!" "You're way better than I was when I first started shooting." She's also decided that since she's going to be taking the class, we need to go shoot some so that she'll be prepared. We're getting married on October 8th, and she's decided that she wants a gun from me for her wedding gift.

So, for those of you that are in my previous situation, do not despair. It is possible for your SO to come around.
    "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him."-Jeremiah 17:7

W00t, sounds like you had the patience to slowly persuade her toward being able to protect herself. Good job.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Nice work!

I can only hope, but I don't think it'll happen... I have to be very subtle, if I even remotely force the issue the walls go higher and stronger.

Great news and great post! I am in a similar boat. My ccw class is scheduled for this month, and I plan to carry everywhere legally possible. She supports my gun collection but wonders why I need to carry. She is not against me carrying by any means, but just simply wonders WHY. SO, I often show her post on here with people in similar situations. I hope soon that she will want to take the class also.
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Congrats on the turnaround of her views and on the upcoming wedding! I was lucky enough to get a lady who already wanted to carry before I met her. Happily married 16 days now!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Glad things are looking up for you. Nothing wrong with a woman that asks for a gun as a gift.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by younggun View Post
    Great news and great post! I am in a similar boat. My ccw class is scheduled for this month, and I plan to carry everywhere legally possible. She supports my gun collection but wonders why I need to carry. She is not against me carrying by any means, but just simply wonders WHY. SO, I often show her post on here with people in similar situations. I hope soon that she will want to take the class also.
    Next time your fiancee asks/wonders why you need to carry, tell her something like this:
    "The reason I need to carry is because you are the most important person in my life and I need to be able to protect you to the best of my ability. I could not live with myself if, God forbid, something bad were to happen and I was not prepared and equipped to protect you. I plan for us to live the rest of our lives TOGETHER and I will not let anything or anyone change that plan, if at all possible."

Happy she finally took a good hard look at life!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Congratulations. I guess the old saying "Patiences is a virtue," is true.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

My wife was similar to your situation where she wanted NOTHING to do with a handgun, nor did she like the fact that there was one in the car or on me dependent on the situation. After 8 years of marriage when we go on roadtrips she now asks things like, "You did bring a gun didn't you?" Lately she's been asking about me taking her to the pistol range. Slowly, but surely I've got her coming around. (She has no idea how many guns are in our house, and probably never will.)
    Be Good and you will be lonesome. - Mark Twain

Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife. - Leroy Jethro Gibbs

sgb
    That's awesome, persistence pays. I took me four years to get the Mrs to get her CWFL. My best friend in MI just convinced his better half to get her CFL after 3 years of carrying himself.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Congratulations to the both of you. You did good. It took my navigator 34yrs to decide to get her permit. Maybe in a few more I'll hear "Honey, are you carrying, or should I?"
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by younggun View Post
    Why??? like maybe this......YouTube - ‪Criminals For Gun Control 1 Home Invasion‬‏
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Congratulations to the both of you. You did good. It took my navigator 34yrs to decide to get her permit. Maybe in a few more I'll hear "Honey, are you carrying, or should I?"

both of you carrying is the best idea
    gunthorp likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Congrats on the milestone...keep working on her, and she'll soon be outshooting you.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links