MI: Carrying Concealed w/o Permit at home & business

This is a discussion on MI: Carrying Concealed w/o Permit at home & business within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of purchasing a pistol in MI. I do not have a CCW, as I am not 21. I plan on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MI: Carrying Concealed w/o Permit at home & business

MI: Carrying Concealed w/o Permit at home & business

I am in the process of purchasing a pistol in MI. I do not have a CCW, as I am not 21. I plan on open carrying as allowed by state law.
    From what I can tell from this law exerpt, it is legal for me to conceal my firearm without a permit at my house and place of business. Here's my question: does this mean a business that I OWN or a business where I am employed? I work at a gas station, and my manager said no to open carry- doesn't want to "send the wrong message" to customers. I am going to ask a police officer when I return my pistol purchase permit to the police station, but I'd love to hear opinions on this issue. Thanks!

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
    Act 328 of 1931

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

2. Remove Ads

Contact an attorney about the law....do not ask a police officer.

IMO, the way the law is written, you don't need a permit on property you own...since you are an employee, it doesn't apply to you...you need a permit. Again...my opinion, and I'm not a lawyer. Consult one in your area. Also, checkout a local MI gun owners group--they should be able to guide you to a more correct answer.

ETA: Check out.... www.migunowners.org
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

IMO, the way the law is written, you don't need a permit on property you own...since you are an employee, it doesn't apply to you...you need a permit. Again...my opinion, and I'm not a lawyer. Consult one in your area. Also, checkout a local MI gun owners group--they should be able to guide you to a more correct answer.
    Thank you for the prompt answer! I'll definitely be consulting a lawyer. I interpreted it the same way, but I am hoping that's not the case.

VIP Member
    If the Place of business sells alcohol, I do not think you can carry, open or concealed.

I am emailing this thread to my nephew, Spec, as he is in a similar situation as you.
    He also belongs to Mi. Open carry, as well, something you may find interesting , as well as insightful.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    You might also want to peruse this MI State Police site: MSP - Firearms

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    If the Place of business sells alcohol, I do not think you can carry, open or concealed.

I am emailing this thread to my nephew, Spec, as he is in a similar situation as you.
    He also belongs to Mi. Open carry, as well, something you may find interesting , as well as insightful.
    You're correct on alcohol- I believe it's only with owner's permission. We do not sell alcohol though, so thankfully I don't have to deal with that mess. I'll check out MI Open Carry!

More info can be found at MCRGO. Michigan coalition for responsible gun owners. Hope this helps.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
    I am in the process of purchasing a pistol in MI. I do not have a CCW, as I am not 21. I plan on open carrying as allowed by state law.
    From what I can tell from this law exerpt, it is legal for me to conceal my firearm without a permit at my house and place of business. Here's my question: does this mean a business that I OWN or a business where I am employed? I work at a gas station, and my manager said no to open carry- doesn't want to "send the wrong message" to customers. I am going to ask a police officer when I return my pistol purchase permit to the police station, but I'd love to hear opinions on this issue. Thanks!
    In Michigan you can conceal carry on your property until your hearts content. You can even conceal carry on someone else property as long as you have their permission. I want to stress my description of private property in the above statements is a residents. I'm quite certain that you can CC at your place of employment as long as the person who has the power to grant your request has the authority to do so. I'm not certain about the alcohol sales thing, I want to say that its ok as long as the property owner gives you permission to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

Not all LEOs are stupid on gun laws. Now most of them are, don't get me wrong but not all of them. I know plenty of attorneys who don't know anything about gun laws either. What I would do is either contact the LEOs who sit on the county gun board. Normally the Sheriff or a person he selects sits on the board along with a rep from the nearest MSP station. Along with those two people the county DA has a person who sits on the board as well. If that doesn't work I would call the local concealed carry instructor and ask if he could give you some names of lawyers they use to teach the law part of the Michigan concealed carry class.

As for the open carry laws in Michigan, it is legal to OC Michigan. Just be advised depending on where you live it likely is not a standard practice at least in Grand Traverse county where I'm from. The majority of people and LEOs will likely not really know how to react to seeing you open carrying while out and about. If you have any encounter with someone who questions you about OCing, just be polite and tell them you are exercising your 2A right and are following all the laws in Michigan. If you have an encounter with a LEO be polite for god sakes be polite and follow every single order they give you. You don't want to have a minor altercation blow up into something that could land you in jail. Most LEOs I know are not used to seeing people open carrying, and when they get the call about a man with a gun, they will not get all the information about the call and will respond with lights and sirens and be all amped up ready to go. Although I support the right of people to OC, its not something I normally do and I don't advocate others to normally do it even though its usually legal.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Not all LEOs are stupid on gun laws. .
    It's not just that, it's that they also dont have to tell you the truth. And from what I read, many do not like it. Altho from what I've encountered here in WA St, cops are neither stupid nor against cc.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    In Michigan you can conceal carry on your property until your hearts content. You can even conceal carry on someone else property as long as you have their permission. I want to stress my description of private property in the above statements is a residents. I'm quite certain that you can CC at your place of employment as long as the person who has the power to grant your request has the authority to do so. I'm not certain about the alcohol sales thing, I want to say that its ok as long as the property owner gives you permission to do so.

Not all LEOs are stupid on gun laws. Now most of them are, don't get me wrong but not all of them. I know plenty of attorneys who don't know anything about gun laws either. What I would do is either contact the LEOs who sit on the county gun board. Normally the Sheriff or a person he selects sits on the board along with a rep from the nearest MSP station. Along with those two people the county DA has a person who sits on the board as well. If that doesn't work I would call the local concealed carry instructor and ask if he could give you some names of lawyers they use to teach the law part of the Michigan concealed carry class.
    Wow, thank you for the in-depth response. I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my questions. I'm getting a call back from a lawyer's office I contacted tomorrow morning, and I'll definitely bring up the CC w/ permission that you mentioned. This would be ideal- my boss said that I could conceal carry. I just don't want to break any firearm laws. I'll definitely post here once I talk to the lawyer and let you know what he says.

Just a quick question. How can you get a permit to purchase if you are not 21? Isn't it 21 for all the States?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Just a quick question. How can you get a permit to purchase if you are not 21? Isn't it 21 for all the States?
    I can't speak to all states, but in MI, you can purchase a handgun 18+ as long as it's from a private seller. Gun dealers are 21+ by federal law.

I thought a while before responding to this, as I don't want to offer advice where none is asked. But, your 'handle' kind of concerned me in a gun forum. For someone looking to purchase their first hand gun and inclined on carrying. Hope all is well and you are in the right mindset. I'm kind of new to this forum but have really begun to respect a select group of members who offer all the support, advice, and training you may need.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Private sales. FFLs can't sell to anyone under 21 but someone who is over 18 can get a permit from the local Sheriff Office to buy a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by cmycek View Post
    I thought a while before responding to this, as I don't want to offer advice where none is asked. But, your 'handle' kind of concerned me in a gun forum. For someone looking to purchase their first hand gun and inclined on carrying. Hope all is well and you are in the right mindset. I'm kind of new to this forum but have really begun to respect a select group of members who offer all the support, advice, and training you may need.
    Thought about that after I made it, lol...it's the name of my favorite record, a Miles Davis jazz album! I appreciate the concern!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links