Self-Defense Shield - Page 2

Self-Defense Shield

This is a discussion on Self-Defense Shield within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems kind of scammish to me....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 92
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Self-Defense Shield

  1. #16
    Ex Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere out there.
    Posts
    1,312
    Seems kind of scammish to me.


  2. #17
    TVJ
    TVJ is offline
    Senior Member Array TVJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    816
    hyped marketing I find distasteful.

    waste of money for the service they provide......"comfort"


    Do your own research, find your own local Quality attorney in self defense law.

    In fact, find another for backup.

    Put one on retainer or just keep the numbers
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

  3. #18
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,591
    This organization is always sending me some kind of marketing material and I now stay clear from their website. If I want an attorney on retainer, then I’ll find someone local to my area that is well respected by the courts.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  4. #19
    Ex Member Array MadMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    This organization is always sending me some kind of marketing material and I now stay clear from their website. If I want an attorney on retainer, then I’ll find someone local to my area that is well respected by the courts.
    You make a great point. In a self-defense shooting case, I want a LOCAL guy who is known and respected around the jurisdiction where the event took place. I'd rather have a lawyer who knows the judge and understands local jurors, than some hired gun (no pun intended) from The Big City to fly in trying to minimize his/her out-of-pocket expenses.
    mr.stuart likes this.

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,559
    In all fairness to USCCA/Defense Shield:

    • For those of you who are members of a group health insurance policy through your employer... You are a beneficiary, not the policy holder, so that works the same way as Defense Shield.
    • Yes, Tim the creator of USCCA does go over the top when promoting his "stuff." And, as a result it can seem a bit like a scam.
    • Prices are not listed to the general public, as membership in USCCA is required... Just as special deals on insurance for guns, etc. are offered through the NRA.
    • Also, The Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network (ACLDN) Fee is used to make you a member and only 25% of the fee is used towards the "insurance."


    While I have not researched it COMPLETELY, I can tell you this:

    ACLDN ($85 yearly, you become a member automatically)coverage appears to be limited to:
    1. $5,000 for a misdemeanor criminal charge reslting from self defense discharge of a firearm.
    2. $10,000 for a felony criminal charge reslting from self defense discharge of a firearm.
    3. You get your own lawyer, but they have a list of local attorneys in your area


    USCCA Defense Shield is an additional charge above membership and offers 3 levels of protection at three price points:

    1. $50,000 civil/$25,000 criminal defense (paid once you are acquitted), availability of $25,000 grant to pay costs up front (that will be repaid by the insurance, if acquitted). Cost $127 annually (in addition to membership in USCCA).
    2. $100K civil/$50K criminal defense (paid once you are acquitted), availability of $50,000 grant to pay costs up front (that will be repaid by the insurance, if acquitted). Cost $197 annually (in addition to membership in USCCA).
    3. $300K civil/$75K criminal defense (paid once you are acquitted), availability of $75,000 grant to pay costs up front (that will be repaid by the insurance, if acquitted). Cost $297 annually (in addition to membership in USCCA).
    4. As with ACLDN, You get your own lawyer, but they have a list of local attorneys in your area.


    USCCA also offers 100% full refund if not satisfied for any reason on all its products, including Defense Shield IINM.

    DISCLAIMER!: Now, what I've said here may be inaccurate, but it is my understanding of the benefits available from both ACLDN and DefenseShield. I am a member of USCCA but otherwise am not affiliated with them, and am not paid to defend them... But rather than just spread rumor and innuendo, I thought it might be best to actually compare the products and report what I think is the truth, not what it seems to be.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  6. #21
    Senior Member Array Spidey2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    887
    If you want something like this, look at the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. $85 a year, and they've proven themselves to be reliable.

    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    In all fairness to USCCA/Defense Shield:

    • For those of you who are members of a group health insurance policy through your employer... You are a beneficiary, not the policy holder, so that works the same way as Defense Shield.
    • Yes, Tim the creator of USCCA does go over the top when promoting his "stuff." And, as a result it can seem a bit like a scam.
    • Prices are not listed to the general public, as membership in USCCA is required... Just as special deals on insurance for guns, etc. are offered through the NRA.
    • Also, The Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network (ACLDN) Fee is used to make you a member and only 25% of the fee is used towards the "insurance."


    While I have not researched it COMPLETELY, I can tell you this:

    ACLDN ($85 yearly, you become a member automatically)coverage appears to be limited to:
    1. $5,000 for a misdemeanor criminal charge reslting from self defense discharge of a firearm.
    2. $10,000 for a felony criminal charge reslting from self defense discharge of a firearm.
    3. You get your own lawyer, but they have a list of local attorneys in your area


    USCCA Defense Shield is an additional charge above membership and offers 3 levels of protection at three price points:

    1. $50,000 civil/$25,000 criminal defense (paid once you are acquitted), availability of $25,000 grant to pay costs up front (that will be repaid by the insurance, if acquitted). Cost $127 annually (in addition to membership in USCCA).
    2. $100K civil/$50K criminal defense (paid once you are acquitted), availability of $50,000 grant to pay costs up front (that will be repaid by the insurance, if acquitted). Cost $197 annually (in addition to membership in USCCA).
    3. $300K civil/$75K criminal defense (paid once you are acquitted), availability of $75,000 grant to pay costs up front (that will be repaid by the insurance, if acquitted). Cost $297 annually (in addition to membership in USCCA).
    4. As with ACLDN, You get your own lawyer, but they have a list of local attorneys in your area.


    USCCA also offers 100% full refund if not satisfied for any reason on all its products, including Defense Shield IINM.

    DISCLAIMER!: Now, what I've said here may be inaccurate, but it is my understanding of the benefits available from both ACLDN and DefenseShield. I am a member of USCCA but otherwise am not affiliated with them, and am not paid to defend them... But rather than just spread rumor and innuendo, I thought it might be best to actually compare the products and report what I think is the truth, not what it seems to be.
    This is WAY off base. ACLDN deposits $10,000 into your lawyers bank account immediately. They will then pay the rest of the fees, as incurred, up to $100,000 I believe. The $10,000 is just the initial payment.

  7. #22
    New Member Array RugerMak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Piedmont, NC
    Posts
    8
    I am a member of USCCA. However, after seeing my "prorated price", I'll stick with The Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network. The ACLDN is a known product. I like USCCA but I am getting very tired of their marketing campaigns.

  8. #23
    VIP Member Array 10thmtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,257
    I'm also a member of the ACLDN. In addition to the funding, you also get access to expert witnesses like Mas Ayoob. And they have a "boots on the ground" program, where they will fly to you to assist in setting up your legal defense. I've personally spoken to Marty Hayes and his wife Gila on the phone. They are the real deal.

    As far as anything associated with the USCCA...I used to be a moderator on their forum. However, I could not stand giving tacit approval to some of the marketing schemes that Tim was unleashing on the members, so I quit. 'Nuff said about that...
    DoctorBob likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

  9. #24
    Member Array edclacro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mesa Az
    Posts
    88

    cost

    The cost is close to $300. per year. Thats for the premium coverage.

  10. #25
    Senior Member Array dripster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    619
    One can just imagine what the tiny print disclaimers are.
    One more step and it's on!

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    If you want something like this, look at the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. $85 a year, and they've proven themselves to be reliable.



    This is WAY off base. ACLDN deposits $10,000 into your lawyers bank account immediately. They will then pay the rest of the fees, as incurred, up to $100,000 I believe. The $10,000 is just the initial payment.
    I am not disparaging ACLDN... Their board of advisors IS a who's who of big names in the self defense community... But other than the $5K for misdemeanor charges or $10K paid to your attorney up front and a review of your case by one of the experts (not neccesarrily one of the Advisory board), NOTHING MORE IS GUARANTEED, Based on what I read on ACLDN's site (all underlining or bolding was added by me):

    If the incident results in felony charges the fee deposit is $10,000; if the member faces misdemeanor charges, a $5,000 fee deposit is sent to his or her attorney...

    ...Network members are also eligible for additional grants of financial assistance from the Network's legal defense fund if they face unmeritorious prosecution or civil action after a self-defense incident occuring during their period of membership.

    ...A member who has been involved in a self-defense incident can request assistance with legal fees...

    If a member requests financial assistance, the board investigates the incident and decides how much financial assistance to grant.
    As to the "boots on the ground" program, the language they use is unclear:

    If requested by the member or their representative, a Network official will respond to the location to assist the member in obtaining those services.
    What constitutes response? it could just be a phone call. And, "Network official" does not mean "Advisory board" member.

    And, since ACLDN likes to throw names around, would it surprise you to learn that some of those SAME NAMES are on the "ADVISORY BOARD" of USCCA? John Farnam, and Mas Ayoob are on USCCA's "ADVISORY BOARD" As well.

    Again, I'm not trying to disparage either product. I tried to accurately present the facts that I could determine from both entity's web sites regarding the product they sell. I used to be licensed in the insurance business... I've read a lot of fine print in my time. Both of these products take a different approach to insuring your potential loss. I pointed out those differences based on what each product advertised.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Now, all of that said, I like RugerMak AND MANY OTHERS, am getting VERY tired of USCCA's marketing campaigns.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  12. #27
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,559
    Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    One can just imagine what the tiny print disclaimers are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defense Shield PDF
    What Is NOT Covered / Exclusions:
    • This insurance does not apply if the act of self-defense while using a firearm occurs while you are
    committing a crime.
    • This insurance does not apply if the act of self-defense while using a firearm occurs while you are
    under the influence of narcotics, controlled substances or alcoholic beverages.
    • This insurance does not apply if the act of self-defense while using a firearm occurs as a part of
    your job duty. This means that if you’re a police officer, security guard, soldier, etc. , the
    insurance does NOT apply when you’re on the job.

    Who Is Insured & Where They Are Insured:
    • The insurance covers the individual member in any location inside or outside of the home.
    • The insurance also covers relatives of the individual member or people under the age of 21 that
    are in the care of the individual member but only ON or IN the residence premises of the insured
    member.
    Can't find any Posted limitations on ACLDN.

    <<EDIT>>

    Whoops, I did find this in the application for membership in ACLDN (bolding is mine):

    Quote Originally Posted by ACLDN Application PDF
    With my signature, I hereby attest that under the laws of the
    United States of America, I am not legally prohibited from possessing
    firearms, that I am 18 years of age or older, and that I
    legally reside in the United States. I understand that any grant
    of benefits is limited to lawful acts of self defense with no additional
    criminal charges
    (unlawful possession of concealed
    handgun, for example) associated with the incident.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  13. #28
    Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    Wondering what everyone thinks about this?

    Self-Defense Shield | USConcealedCarry.com

    I'll restrain myself and just call it HORSEPUCKEY!



    No amount of money will guarantee you JUSTICE in either a criminal or civil procedure.
    .
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

    know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

    "If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array oakchas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,559
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    No amount of money will guarantee you JUSTICE in either a criminal or civil procedure.
    .
    TRUTH. But only dependent on which side you're on...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

  15. #30
    New Member Array bcbsagent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Topeka, Ks.
    Posts
    1

    new member......bcbsagent

    I checked on the price yesterday. They have 3 plans, #1 is about 65.00 per year, #2 is about 130.00 per year, and plan #3 is about 265.00 per year.
    I don't like the way their selling this,NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    These prices reflect a discount they give you for the price of your membership.
    Last edited by bcbsagent; June 9th, 2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: more info.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

my defence shield
,

my defense shield

,

mydefenceshield.com

,

mydefenseshield.com

,
myselfdefenseshield.com
,

self defense shield

,
self defense shield insurance
,

self defense shield review

,

self-defense shield

,
uscca scam
,
uscca self defense shield review
,

www.mydefenseshield.com

Click on a term to search for related topics.