And then I heard gasps.... - Page 3

And then I heard gasps....

This is a discussion on And then I heard gasps.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Big Dog, You should know better than to dress like that in the NRV. If you aren't a VA Tech student then it's flannel, camouflage, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: And then I heard gasps....

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Big Dog, You should know better than to dress like that in the NRV. If you aren't a VA Tech student then it's flannel, camouflage, and Carhart in public. Flip Flops will get a rainbow sticker posted on your bumper and a Wolverine work boot upside your head. LOL!

I am on the wrong side of fashionable for most of the residents outside of Salem.

Fashion is for people who actually care about what other people think. A guy in a convenience store was "holding court" one night with the cashier and everyone that was coming and going. As I got to the counter he said, "Hey man, where in the heck did you get that ugly shirt?" and I replied, "Your old lady gave it to me after you left this morning. Does she want her pink thong back? It's still in the pocket." He was still rolling in the floor laughing as I pulled out in my truck.
    tkruf likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Smile nod and act like it's not a big deal. Keep moving, act normal.

This isn't quite the same but three of us went to the Wannemacher gun show in Tulsa OK. We spent all day there, were dead-tired and had bought several guns. We had no intention of leaving them in the SUV for the night so we loaded up and intended to keep them in our rooms. As we were approaching the lobby door to come in, a little old lady happened to step out and FROZE at the sight of us. I saw the frightened look of the little old lady, held the door for her, and I smiled and nodded to her as she walked out.

I'm sure everyone in Tulsa is aware of this giant gun show going on, though I bet she was an out-of-town hotel guest.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Bugdude, it wasn't the fact that you had a gun. It was the fact that you had "two" guns that freaked her out. How could you dare carry more than she?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Be glad you were in Va instead of Fl. Here an inadvert exposure gets you a ride in a police car and a night at the iron bar bed and breakfast. We're trying to get it changed...
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Be glad you were in Va instead of Fl. Here an inadvert exposure gets you a ride in a police car and a night at the iron bar bed and breakfast. We're trying to get it changed...
    you need to keep up with the news, the law has already been changed and AFAIK goes into effect 7/1.

VIP Member
    Well that generally isn’t the response around here, but I personally don’t allow my CC to be seen.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Big Dog, You should know better than to dress like that in the NRV. If you aren't a VA Tech student then it's flannel, camouflage, and Carhart in public. Flip Flops will get a rainbow sticker posted on your bumper and a Wolverine work boot upside your head. LOL!

I am on the wrong side of fashionable for most of the residents outside of Salem.
    Our Father, which art in Denim,
    hallowed be thy name;
    thy Carhartts come;
    thy will be done,
    in flannel as it is in denim.
    Give us this day our daily Carhartts.
    And forgive us our trespasses,
    as we forgive them that trespass against us.
    And lead us not into temptation;
    but deliver us from Levi Strauss.

For thine is the jeans,
    the flannels, and the work bibs,
    for ever and ever.
    Amen.
    4evrinblujns likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Fashion is for people who actually care about what other people think. A guy in a convenience store was "holding court" one night with the cashier and everyone that was coming and going. As I got to the counter he said, "Hey man, where in the heck did you get that ugly shirt?" and I replied, "Your old lady gave it to me after you left this morning. Does she want her pink thong back? It's still in the pocket." He was still rolling in the floor laughing as I pulled out in my truck.
    "I got it at the ugly store. I see you shop there too."

So I go to Wal Mart to do the grocery shopping today and I'm making my way through the bread isle which was rather crowded. I see my brand up at the top and as I reach for it I heard multiple gasps. I turn to see what everyone is so astonished at and...it appears to be me. Apparently when I reached up my big baggy Hawaiian shirt rode up over my 442 in a OWB pancake holster at 7 o'clock position (grip pointed left for a weak hand palm out draw). My speed loader pouch and extra .40 mag on belt beside it. Not sure if my XD40sc primary was showing or not on the other side (OWB 4 o'clock). I just calmly placed my bread in the buggy and adjusted my shirt and said "excuse me" while I went on my way. The rest of the day in there I saw ladies giving me the stink eye left and right. Oh well, gotta watch out when reaching for stuff.
    Plumber's disease maybe?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    They can just get over it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Bound to happen, and anti run in. Was just showing some family photos to an old friend on my iPhone, and there were a few of my three kids firing pistols at our gun club. Could tell she didn't approve, very left thinking....but she didn't comment. Add it to sex, politics, and religion, unless you're up for a debate.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

I would have thought that Virginia would be a state where people are more accustomed to seeing people with guns.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Generally speaking, people in Virginia, especially rural areas like I live in, don't bat an eye. Still a few exceptions to the general rule. Richmond and Northern Virginia it isn't nearly as common. I try to limit my time in those areas.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If I had been a little quicker with the wit I should have rubbed my back pocket and said, "Yeah, it kinda takes your breath away, huh?"
    There ya go! I was trying to think of a smart comment to make ina situation like this.

I guess I would have gone with, "Be carefull, Their Everywhere " in a paranoid voice.
    Or maybe, talk into your left shirt cuff and say something like "Roger, red 6, this is blue seven, the package is secure". Then shuffle away, turning and looking around and behind you at each corner.

Huh - if I saw sombody reaching for something in a store - especially in a freaking hawaiian shirt! - I would assume he was off-duty LEO, especially if it was a paddle. Now TWO guns, that might move my eyebrows a little...

Which brings me to a thought I never considered before - I carry IWB at 1:30(which if accidentally exposed WOULD kinda look a bit more gang-banger in my Uncle Mike's softy). And I always wear shirts that would cover even an OWB paddle holster. For whatever reason, I never considered one. NOW I HAVE EXCUSE TO BUY SOMETHING! YES!!
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links