And then I heard gasps....

This is a discussion on And then I heard gasps.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I go to Wal Mart to do the grocery shopping today and I'm making my way through the bread isle which was rather crowded. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: And then I heard gasps....

So I go to Wal Mart to do the grocery shopping today and I'm making my way through the bread isle which was rather crowded. I see my brand up at the top and as I reach for it I heard multiple gasps. I turn to see what everyone is so astonished at and...it appears to be me. Apparently when I reached up my big baggy Hawaiian shirt rode up over my 442 in a OWB pancake holster at 7 o'clock position (grip pointed left for a weak hand palm out draw). My speed loader pouch and extra .40 mag on belt beside it. Not sure if my XD40sc primary was showing or not on the other side (OWB 4 o'clock). I just calmly placed my bread in the buggy and adjusted my shirt and said "excuse me" while I went on my way. The rest of the day in there I saw ladies giving me the stink eye left and right. Oh well, gotta watch out when reaching for stuff.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think you have a huge imagination, most times most people hardly give a second look to an inadvertently exposed weapon and they certainly wouldn't be giving you a stink eye

Its a wierd feeling isnt it? I had it happen once, I bent down to get a two liter and shirt road up and bam theres the smith. Then I hear, he has a gun, they just left the store......It was just them and myself in the store, I corrected my cover shirt, paid and left.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

They may have just been checking out your hind-quarters lol...
    I can only guess that at least one of the "offended" ladies would have reported you to the management and are police dept.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I bet you think the song was about you too. : ) I can't believe people even noticed, I've seen people open carry and others appear oblivious, or like me and figure the person must be a law abiding citizen

I wasn't aware you were there, you must have been behind the kool-aid...thanks for clearing that up for me.

When I turned around a lady and what appeared to be her teenage daughter were staring at me with their jaws dropped. I passed them in the opposite direction on every isle and the woman was scowling at me. I've been married 18 years, so I can recognize a scowl when I see it. Not that I care. I open carry a couple times a week and haven't had any issues with it. People rarely notice even when I OC. I just went on my way.
    Spade115, joker1 and RemMod597 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I never really understood why so many people freak out when a normal looking guy has a gun. Now, I'd feel a little uneasy if I saw a guy with a gun, mid 20's, with really baggy clothing and a p***ed off look on his face. But that seems to be far from what happened here. At least you didn't get any trouble from cops/management, that would be no fun.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Glad you didn't end up on the wrong side of a "man with a gun" encounter with your friendly local LEOs...

This is precisely the reason why I carry the way I do - dual pockets. I just cannot afford an "oopsie."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've been married 18 years, so I can recognize a scowl when I see it.

jwhite75, cammo and Spade115 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    BugDude, you know better than to go shopping in Roanoke! Too many "Beltway Wannabe's" roaming around there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Oh, well, since you didn't turn into a lunatic and start shooting up the place, maybe they will realize that not everyone who has a gun is a criminal.

Carry on.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    OH, Roanoke, that explains a lot. You should drive over to Salem where the locals are gun friendly and there is a smell of roses wafting in the air. LOL!
    When I was leaving the Salem Walmart last night/very early morning the security guard did his obligatory check of my receipt and commented on the new issue of Guns and Weapons I had purchased.

I don't know how two places that are so close (Salem is surrounded by ROA County) can be so different, especially with all the country bumpkins who move to 'Noke thinking it's the mecca of modern civilization. Where do all these liberals come from?

Nice to see another VA gentleman on here.

The same type of people who would scream at the picture of the spider on the IPhone in the commercial.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    OH, Roanoke, that explains a lot. You should drive over to Salem where the locals are gun friendly and there is a smell of roses wafting in the air. LOL!
    When I was leaving the Salem Walmart last night/very early morning the security guard did his obligatory check of my receipt and commented on the new issue of Guns and Weapons I had purchased.

I don't know how two places that are so close (Salem is surrounded by ROA County) can be so different, especially with all the country bumpkins who move to 'Noke thinking it's the mecca of modern civilization. Where do all these liberals come from?

Nice to see another VA gentleman on here.
    Been to Danville/Martinsville/Roanoke/Patrick County/Bassett and a host of other localities in SW VA. Even though I didn't really take a liking to it, except Roanoke, the attitudes toward guns are very positive since they are a way of life for them as used for hunting, self-defense, or protecting livestock. As a matter of fact, they are a topic of conversation even at the public schools in Danville/Bassett among students and faculties when I visited/prospected those schools as a recruiter then.

Even if they did see it they would most likely assume you were either undercover popo or a license holder. At least that's what I think when seeing a gun in a proper holster. If it were a Jiminez mexican carried that's a diff story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links