How to Carry?

This is a discussion on How to Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; right--back on topic--modern guns are designed for safe carry as outlined in there owners manual. for semi-autos that is with a round chambered. some, 1911 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How to Carry?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    right--back on topic--modern guns are designed for safe carry as outlined in there owners manual.
    for semi-autos that is with a round chambered. some, 1911 style, carry Condition 1. many striker fired are partially pre-cocked in that the striker is 2/3rds
    pre tensioned when the 1st round is chambered. this allows for a reasonable trigger pull in the 3.5 to the more standard 5 to 8 pound pull. a well made trigger may break at 8 but feel much lighter cause it does not 'drag' or stack as it is pulled.

as to how you should carry-- as you are trained with the type of gun you can handle and shot best. thats why finding a good instructor who has many to try (and grips to change out till we fit your hand proper) is important. what you spend with a professional you will save from not buying a lot of 'try this' and try that guns, grips and holsters. not to mention the ammo you waste shooting many guns that prove improper for you. you may even trade back (at a loss) a gun that was right for you, it just needed a different grip, but how would you know till you tried?

so how you should carry starts with finding the gun(s) that are right for you.
    for how your body is shaped, how you dress, where you live and its vicinity. if you have a family and how involved they will be. or how protective you will need to be cause of them. the Bersa Thunder 380 or 9mm cause of its frame lock is a beginners favorite as it can be rendered virtually 100% safe without taking it out of its holster with a key. most 'events' occure when handling a gun so being able to safe it without unholstering it is a big, big positive.
    Last edited by claude clay; June 8th, 2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Will address via PM.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

It depends on what kind of auto you have, whether or not it is safe to carry cocked. What type of auto do you have? Is it double or single action?

How much shooting have you done? Would you consider yourself to be a beginner? If so, you might wanna get some professional instruction. Just a thought.

Please be safe my friend.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    If someone knows their chances of danger are at increased levels I would hope that situation awareness would kick in and a round would be chambered. After all, however you carry you should always treat the firearm as it if is loaded.
    Still promoting more flawed thinking, eh Thunder? I promise that this will be my only comment on this thread for Qballrail's benefit.

So, according to your (flawed) thinking, someone is supposed to "know" that their chances of danger are at increased levels? Then, according to what you're saying, they should draw their pistol and chamber a round. Well, by now, you should be able to recognize that this would be a very bad practice and way of thinking. If someone voluntarily goes unconcealed, draws their weapon, then chambers a round every time they "knew" they were at increased levels of danger, dare I say, the local police would be kept very busy. Not to mention, you've just exposed yourself every time you "knew" your chances of danger are at increased levels.

Nah, you're just reading more into it to try and make it an issue.

A: I usually know where I'm going before I go there... if it's a bad area I'd chamber a round before holstering and leaving the house.
    B: If for some reason I just end up in a situation that gives me a bad feeling, I mentally prepare myself and get ready.

That's all... read more into it if that's what makes you tick.

Yes, I carry unchambered - get over it. I don't attack you with every pro chambered post you make do I?

If you are perfect and not susceptible to human or mechanical error - carry chambered, otherwise don't. :D

^^^What Claude Clay said.

The thing you have to understand it that unless you pull the trigger the gun will not go off. Modern pistols with external hammers have built in safeties where even if the hammer drops-it will not fire unless the trigger is activated.
    I carry Glocks as well so I don't deal with this but you need to be comfortable with your choice. (I carried un-chambered for a week and then chambered up and never looked back.)

You'll find the concept of carrying "unchambered" in not popular around here. I'm one of the few who do. You have to decide which risk is higher: 1) The risk of needing your weapon quickly with no time to chamber a round, or 2) the risk of an accident occuring because a round was chambered.

There are plenty of stories out on the internet of weapons discharging by accident. Yes, some of those could have been prevented with better safety planning. However, people are human, and people make mistakes. Some people on here seem to think they are above human or making mistakes. I just hope they don't end up injuring themselves or somebody else because of it. Saying that it is impossible to make a mistake if you are an expert, is sort of like saying that because you are a good driver that you will never been in an auto accident. Yet, I bet most of have been at some point. The whole reason it is called an accident is because it wasn't planned for. You just never know what might happen. You can't plan for everything.

I've decided that my risk of needing to use my weapon is pretty low so I'm willing to carry unchambered for now. if my circumstances were different, I might change my mind. There have actually been rare cases where I am out at night in a bad part of town, and I will chamber a round. As soon as I get home, I will un-chamber it. being that I'm very rarely in the bad part of town, or even out at night for that matter, this is a rare case indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    By no means was I trying to say military carry unchambered in combat - however I also feel that military on duty in general are at more risk than the average civilian life.

If someone knows their chances of danger are at increased levels I would hope that situation awareness would kick in and a round would be chambered. After all, however you carry you should always treat the firearm as it if is loaded.

Anyway, I promise not to get into this again - but I will say carry how you want and practice how you carry.
    i am not reading into , i am reading exactly what you typed...you say that when you are out in public that you should draw your gun and charge it if you sense an increase in danger. not only are you drawing before a perceived possibility of need, but you are brandishing--man with a gun. going back and forth on the forum with you is pointless. you try your way once--ONCE in public and reality will explain the way it really is to you.

adric22...the mods just cleaned up your mess from admitting that you are careless with your storage of a loaded gun and nearly got your 8 year old killed. now you 'clean up' what you will and are back...have you no shame or dignity?
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    -------------------

Eh, whatever man... maybe I could have typed it a little more clear but what you wrote and what I wrote are 2 completely different things, if you really get all of that out of what I wrote in that one little sentence that's your problem i guess.

if you can not express yourself clearly.....than stop making statements that are indefensible and than crying that i and others are picking on you.

say what you mean and mean what you say..... the skills necessary for basic conversation are not that far out of the reach for the most of us.
    what say you? clearly now, i do not wish to misinterpret anything again

when a liberal abondons a fact driven discussion and resorts to personal attacks, you know you have won the conversation.
    Last edited by claude clay; June 8th, 2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: game, point, match
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    -------------------

Look man, resort to personal attacks if you wish - I carry unchambered, I enjoy it, I'm confident this way, and I practice this way. I can chamber a round in my XDM one handed without using my shoe, a belt, a table, just one hand... I'm not trying to convert you or anyone else, never have tried and never will.

But, I won't stop letting people know it's OK to carry unchambered - just practice that way. If you and some others can't accept that, too bad... get over it. People can make up their own mind and choose what is right for them.

One day I just wish we could lay out the key reasons for each method and let it be... this is getting old and tiring.

JD
    Administrator
    I think a few members here need to look into the forums IGNORE feature.

VIP Member
    This is for the OP and it is points to ponder. I am not entering a debate here, simply providing food for thought. Unlike others who promise not to hijack your thread and get into debates, then do just that, I will not.

As you have seen, chambered carry is not advocated by everyone here. There is another thread running on just that issue and most advocate carrying chambered.

Think of a situation where you may need the weapon:

- Will you have time or the ability to chamber the round?

- Will you have both hands available?

- Have you practiced racking the slide one handed? You should even if you carry chambered as you never know when you will have to fix a jam one handed.

- if you don't have a round chambered and you feel the need to chamber one, how do you do this without exposing your gun and/or making noise? If you pull the gun to chamber it, it may be considered brandishing or inciting panic. For those sheep that missed the visual presentation of the weapon, when you rack it will the miss the audio too? Will the BG?

- What do the pros recommend? Read what the pros have to say on this issue. These are guys like Mas Ayoob and others that are acknowledged experts who provide expert testimony in courts on gun-related matters. These guys write books and articles to share their knowledge (as well as make a buck).

These are just a few points to ponder as you consider how you want to carry.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by qballrail View Post
    I see cops carrying with the hammer cocked and presumably a round chambered. A local gunshop owner advised me to do the same. I'm not particularly comfortable with this...but is that advised for concealed carry?
    Yes, It's advised for ALL carry 100% of the time. To carry any other way is carrying an unloaded weapon which is useless. Becoming more familiar with you firearm and it's features and possibly more training if required will make you more comfortable carrying this way. Also consider the fact that even with striker fired semi's there still carried cocked, you just don't see it

Also, should I always have a round chambered @ home?
    Yes, I think I can speak for a good majority here, once the gun goes on for the day, it's on and ready to go.

We're going to be travelling soon and crossing several states which do not honor WA pistol licenses. Does this mean I have to immediately unholster my weapon and lock it up? I've been reading up, or at least trying to.. there's so much confusing info out there and some guidance in this area would be most helpful.
    Yes, once you run out of states which you have reciprocity with pull over, unload and lock it up. BEFORE you leave the last state you can carry in.
    MotorCityGun likes this.

While I think it's incredibly short-sighted and naive to carry unchambered, I will support to death a persons right to do so.

I'd never sacrifice temporary personal comfort in carrying unchambered for the obvious and very real threat of a situation that could change in a moments notice, requiring you to fire with serious haste.

I carry a Glock 19 and a Kimber 1911 -- both have one ready in the chamber and the Kimber's safety is always off in my holster.

And to the posts commenting on MP's not carrying one in the chamber. Yes, they are ordered not to. But having spent 12 years as an MP, I can tell you that's one order my fellow soldiers and I did not follow on a daily basis. Best believe that outside of garrison duty, MP's have a round chambered.
    - SNA -

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have" -- Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    Yes, once you run out of states which you have reciprocity with pull over, unload and lock it up. BEFORE you leave the last state you can carry in.
    I would also advise you to know the laws in the states you are going through where you can't carry. Before I got my FL permit, I could not carry in GA, but GA does allow for carry in the glove box. So, in the last few miles in TN or FL, depending on direction, I would unholster and put the gun in another holster in the glove box. Many states are not so accommodating, so it's best to know the laws where you will be traveling.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links