How to Carry?

How to Carry?

This is a discussion on How to Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see cops carrying with the hammer cocked and presumably a round chambered. A local gunshop owner advised me to do the same. I'm not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How to Carry?

How to Carry?

I see cops carrying with the hammer cocked and presumably a round chambered. A local gunshop owner advised me to do the same. I'm not particularly comfortable with this...but is that advised for concealed carry?

Also, should I always have a round chambered @ home?

We're going to be travelling soon and crossing several states which do not honor WA pistol licenses. Does this mean I have to immediately unholster my weapon and lock it up? I've been reading up, or at least trying to.. there's so much confusing info out there and some guidance in this area would be most helpful.

Thanks!

-Q

I would never carry a semi auto unchambered, I carry glocks so the cocked and locked thing is not part of the equation
    as for travel, to be protected by federal transport laws the weapon must be stowed unloaded in a locked box in your trunk with the ammo stowed separately while passing through a state where your permits are not honored. failure to comply to the letter of the law can wind up with very bad consequences like your being locked up.

You are probably not going to get many opinions on chambered or unchambered on this forum

I prefer chambered and ready but that doesn't make it the only way to carry. I do feel comfortable carrying that way since thats how I carry while on the job as well.

sgb
    I carry a 1911 locked & cocked, been doing it for over 30 years.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Get yourself some professional training, and you'll put all your worries to bed.

1911, cocked and locked as I type
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by qballrail View Post
    I see cops carrying with the hammer cocked and presumably a round chambered. A local gunshop owner advised me to do the same. I'm not particularly comfortable with this...but is that advised for concealed carry?
    - If you're not comfortable carrying a loaded gun, you really should seek training. Modern guns don't go off by themselves. At the very minimum, practice drawing a firearm hundreds if not thousands of times to learn proper trigger discipline. Your finger should NOT be on the trigger when you draw or holster a gun.

- All of my firearms are loaded. A few things to think about. You may not have a free hand to rack the slide of a gun. An attacker may be on top of you or you may have a hand injury. You also may be fighting off an attacker with one hand. Another very important thing to think about is bullet setback. If you keep chambering the same round several times, you may actually push the bullet too far into the casing. Very dangerous for the gun and more importantly, you.

The OPmay also want to pay closer attention to which forum threads belong in. This thread really belongs in the concealed carry issues section, not home protection.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

what type of gun do you carry?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Carry how you are comfortable, period. Don't let anyone bully you into one way or the other. Even military carry unchambered.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Carry how you are comfortable, period. Don't let anyone bully you into one way or the other. Even military carry unchambered.
    The Military carries unchambered when the use of the firearm is not expected or when in garrison. When going into combat, weapons are carried chambered. In civilian life, we don't have the luxury of having Combat Zones and "safe" areas therefore....well you know the rest, just pointing out that the Military advocating condition three is a two sided element.

As for the Tacoma PD, they can and do carry 1911s, and the best way for most to carry the 1911 is loaded, hammer cocked, and with safety on.

Is "Cocked and Locked" Dangerous? Article

Conditions of Readiness for the 1911 Video

Since JMB designed the 1911 to be carried condition 1 (Cocked and locked) that's how I carry. I agree with others that you should ONLY carry as you are comfortable doing so. It also depends on the kind of gun. Keep in mind if you think you can rack a slide in case all he@$ breaks out, it involves muscle memory, and it's been proven all over the net and in person that it's not easy to do. That's why I DO carry a 1911, because I can carry C-1 safely.

practice practice practice dry fire dry fire dry fire. eventually carrying C-1 will be second nature and comfortable.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    By no means was I trying to say military carry unchambered in combat - however I also feel that military on duty in general are at more risk than the average civilian life.

If someone knows their chances of danger are at increased levels I would hope that situation awareness would kick in and a round would be chambered. After all, however you carry you should always treat the firearm as it if is loaded.

Anyway, I promise not to get into this again - but I will say carry how you want and practice how you carry.

How about some more info? What kind of gun are you planning to carry? Unless it's SAO carrying cocked is not an issue.
    All cops carry with a round chambered because they carry their guns ready for immediate use - as anyone who carries a gun should. Those that carry 1911s carry them cocked & locked.

Should you have a round chambered at home? Your call. I do, because if I need it I don't want to have to load it to put it into action.

For the OP.

Check out handgunlaw.us and see what the laws are in each state where you will be traveling. Adhere to each states laws. If you have a question a quick call to the state police should be made.

As far as keeping one in the chamber, that is your call. If you're not comfortable then don't do it. Continue to get to know your gun/s get adequate training and trigger time and work towards being comfortable with yourself and your guns to where you can carry in a ready condition.

What type of gun do you carry?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links