Carrying Where it is not "authorized", but not illegal... - Page 3

Carrying Where it is not "authorized", but not illegal...

This is a discussion on Carrying Where it is not "authorized", but not illegal... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a unique situation where I have a company car and a company policy against carrying on company property. My boss knows I carry ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Carrying Where it is not "authorized", but not illegal...

I have a unique situation where I have a company car and a company policy against carrying on company property.

My boss knows I carry concealed and that I use the car for personal business when I am not "on the clock". Not sure what would happen if someone higher than him found out. I think I would be ok as the company (1) allows me to use the car for personal business and (2) cannot dictate what I carry and when I carry it away from the office.

I had a BG 380 in my glove box once and he found it. He laughed and didn't really say much other than "dont let anyone else see it". He also mentioned to never file a insurance claim if it gets stolen out of the car. Makes sense.
    - SNA -

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have" -- Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SirNapsAlot View Post
    I had a BG 380 in my glove box once and he found it. ... He also mentioned to never file a insurance claim if it gets stolen out of the car. Makes sense.
    If the gun is stolen, I assume you will file a police report and that may be a problem for you. If you don't file the police report, and the gun is used for some nefarious purpose, you will have some 'splainin to do. If you do file the report, it is likely that your employer, as the owner/leasee of the vehicle will obtain and read the police report.

Having had my personal truck broken into twice in the last year, I would not consider storing my weapon in the truck unless I absolutely have to, like going to the Post Office.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    If the gun is stolen, I assume you will file a police report and that may be a problem for you. If you don't file the police report, and the gun is used for some nefarious purpose, you will have some 'splainin to do. If you do file the report, it is likely that your employer, as the owner/leasee of the vehicle will obtain and read the police report.
    I concur, that was my first thought as well. You're certainly going to want to fill out a police report on it, and the employer will want a copy of that.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNapsAlot View Post
    I had a BG 380 in my glove box once and he found it. He laughed and didn't really say much other than "dont let anyone else see it". He also mentioned to never file a insurance claim if it gets stolen out of the car. Makes sense.
    Well, here's my answer to all the "concealed is concealed" guys. It's usually not a matter of "if" you will get caught carrying at work, it's "when".

Also, like others have stated, if you don't file a police report on a stolen firearm, you could be in for a world of legal trouble. This issue is never just about you and your boss. It's you versus your entire company leadership, coworkers, cops, lawyers etc.

If you're willing to lose your job over the minuscule likelihood of needing it at work, that's your choice. It's one thing to work at a convenience store or pawn shop. It's another to work in an office tower where you have to have a badge/token for entry.

I know there are anecdotes out there, but you have to weigh your risks, and make your own decision. I've made mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post

Having had my personal truck broken into twice in the last year, I would not consider storing my weapon in the truck unless I absolutely have to, like going to the Post Office.
    Not to bore you with the inner working of my company, but it would not ruffle feathers if I filed a police report, which I most certainly would do.

He was more concerned about an insurance claim, since it goes to a different group of people at our corporate office.

And I no longer keep the BG or any weapon in my car unless, as you pointed out, I am going into a post office or similar place.
    - SNA -

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have" -- Ronald Reagan

I've posted this before. The company I work for is a spin off of another company that I also used to work for. Our employee handbook is a photocopied document that is almost an exact copy of the original companies handbook. However for some reason when they made changes such as changing the company name ect. they omitted the paragraph banning firearms on the company property. The did leave in the ban on gambling, even though one of the owners was usually the guy in charge of the superbowl board.
    I have carried at work but do not usually since I believe the owners are anti-gun. The president is a foriegner from a bannna repuplic. If I were to get made I wouldn't want to give them a reason to fire me.

I dont because there is a no carry policy, I live in one of the lowest crime areas in the country and the fact is I need the medical insurance from the company more than the gun on me. Getting fired could kill me so its just not worth the risk.
    MadMac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I work mostly armed locations, even when doing traffic control where IPL asks us not to wear our sidearms due to there being a greater chance of our weapon being hit by a mirror or power line causing a heat discharge than us needing to use it. i still carry a revolver in my pocket or on my ankle. It is encouraged by the boss to always be armed, even if the weapon is not visible. On a side note, is my gun going off something I will really need to worry about if i get hit by a power line? I love these common sense policies some of our clients have.
    If your hit with a power line I would think the power line might be a bigger problem than a bullet possible striking your toe. How would you get hit by a powerline doing traffic control?

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    In my opinion it is wrong to carry past a sign amd when asked not to by an employer. It is dishonest and in the case of an employee it should be considered fraud. If you need something from their store just disarm and get the product. Otherwise go somewhere else. And if you feel the need to carry at work when aske not to, well find a job where you can carry. Start your own business. To do otherwise is to violate someone else's rights. It is their right to decide what goes on on their property.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    In my opinion it is wrong to carry past a sign amd when asked not to by an employer. It is dishonest and in the case of an employee it should be considered fraud. If you need something from their store just disarm and get the product. Otherwise go somewhere else. And if you feel the need to carry at work when aske not to, well find a job where you can carry. Start your own business. To do otherwise is to violate someone else's rights. It is their right to decide what goes on on their property.
    "The right of the people to keep AND BEAR arms, shall not be infringed." US Constitution, 1776. Amendment II, ratified 1791
    With this in mind, who's right and who's wrong? The lawfully armed citizen?? Or the establishment that asks him to suspend that Constitutional Right, at their leisure??
    kaboomkaboom and younggun like this.

I work where we are not allowed to carry in the building. Under Indiana law, we are allowed to keep a gun in our locked car in the parking lot, but we can't take inside with us. With that having been said, I can see myself carrying inside if there is some extreme circumstance. Such as, another employee making threats of violence and the company not doing anything about it. If I had to defend myself, I am sure I would be fired but, unemployed and alive beats the hell out of dead any day of the week.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by ZTF Hitman View Post
    "The right of the people to keep AND BEAR arms, shall not be infringed." US Constitution, 1776. Amendment II, ratified 1791
    With this in mind, who's right and who's wrong? The lawfully armed citizen?? Or the establishment that asks him to suspend that Constitutional Right, at their leisure??
    how do you reconcile your view with the rights of property owners to control what happens on their property?
    sorry but I side with the property owners right to ban weapons on their property. if I don't like their ban I am free not to do business with anti 2a property owners.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    how do you reconcile your view with the rights of property owners to control what happens on their property?
    sorry but I side with the property owners right to ban weapons on their property. if I don't like their ban I am free not to do business with anti 2a property owners.
    If you want to talk about 'rights of property owners' then let's talk about what those rights actually are. In my state, the right you are referring to is the right to screen people who enter property (such as a metal detector) and the right to trespass someone who is on their property. There is no 'right to ban firearms by sign'. On the other hand, people in my state do, in fact, have the right to carry concealed weapons onto private property. They retain this right, regardless of signs posted, papers signed, spoken words, et cetera.

These are the rules -- constructed by the people of my state for a specific purpose -- and if you don't like it, there's 49 other states to choose from. There are some states in which property owners do have a legal right to ban firearms with a sign. Blanket statement fantasies about 'rights of property owners' are incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    Some work places prohibit employees, even a CCW holder, to carry in the office building or on official business by company policy, thus, making it against the rules, but not illegal. Is there ever a situation where you would justify carrying anyway? Of course, being fully aware that your actions could lead to anything up to and including termination. But, seeing as how it is not illegal (therefore there is no risk or losing your CCW or going to jail), is it worth it?

DISCLAIMER: The purpose of my question is for sensible conversation... I am assuming I am being clear and NOT condoning any illegal activity here, only curious if/when you could justify to yourself (and potentially your employer) for "deep carrying".

J
    Please refer to your CHL booklet for your answer. If they have told you firearms aren't allowed in the workplace verbally, or have the appropriate language in the employee handbook. You might be commiting a Class A misdemeanor. Being fired might be the least of your worries. Having your CHL revoked for 5 years might be a bit harder to stomach.

This is dependent entirely on how you were notified. Be very careful.
    If you are truely just breaking company policy then the call is up to you and how much the job means to your livelyhood.

GC 411.203. RIGHTS OF EMPLOYERS. This subchapter does not
    prevent or otherwise limit the right of a public or private employer to
    prohibit persons who are licensed under this subchapter from carrying
    a concealed handgun on the premises of the business.
    (2) received notice that:
    (A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed
    handgun was forbidden; or
    (B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was
    forbidden and failed to depart.
    (b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the
    owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the
    owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.
    (c) In this section:
    (1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).
    (2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section
    46.035(f).
    (3) "Written communication" means:
    (A) a card or other document on which is written language
    identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code
    (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person
    licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed
    handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed
    handgun"; or
    (B) a sign posted on the property that:
    (i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both
    English and Spanish;
    (ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least
    one inch in height; and
    (iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to
    the public.
    (d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I work at PepBoys. Not in the best town. They have a very anti policy (even though the manager, myself, and a couple others have their CWPs). I generally leave after dark/at dusk, and I don't necessarily feel safe walking to my car in the dark (across from a moderately wooded lot).

But, it seems that PepBoys (like all the other sheeple) believe that their security cameras, that do NOT cover the parking lots, will keep us safe. All the cameras do is make sure the employees aren't stealing/'breaking any rules".

As I said it to one of my co-workers the other day; "That camera isn't going to stop the guy with the gun from painting the wall with my brains. It will just take video of it that my family will have to see at some point. Very poor quality video of it, but video nonetheless."

I don't carry, because I really can't afford to lose this job. But, if I could get away with it, I probably would. Because my life, my well being, comes WAY before PepBoys.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links