Defensive Carry banner

Carrying Where it is not "authorized", but not illegal...

11K views 113 replies 52 participants last post by  SFury 
#1 ·
Some work places prohibit employees, even a CCW holder, to carry in the office building or on official business by company policy, thus, making it against the rules, but not illegal. Is there ever a situation where you would justify carrying anyway? Of course, being fully aware that your actions could lead to anything up to and including termination. But, seeing as how it is not illegal (therefore there is no risk or losing your CCW or going to jail), is it worth it?

DISCLAIMER: The purpose of my question is for sensible conversation... I am assuming I am being clear and NOT condoning any illegal activity here, only curious if/when you could justify to yourself (and potentially your employer) for "deep carrying".

J

#2 ·
But, seeing as how it is not illegal (therefore there is no risk or losing your CCW or going to jail), is it worth it?
Only you can answer that question.

I work in in office environment, and they have that rule as well. Several of my colleagues have concealed carry permits. I don't ask, and don't tell, either. However, I choose not to carry in violation of company policy. I like and need my job. I have good life insurance, and a solid retirement savings plan.

The statistical likelihood that I'll need to defend myself with deadly force in my office is almost incalculably remote. The chance I am "outed" and terminated is significantly quite higher. See the postings here this week of a guy reaching up in a store and exposing his firearm. I'll take my chances unarmed.

If I am killed on the job, my wife will be able to walk away from the funeral with well over $1M, in addition to our other savings and assets. My kids are grown with good careers. Most of my job here on Earth is complete.

#47 ·
...The statistical likelihood that I'll need to defend myself with deadly force in my office is almost incalculably remote. The chance I am "outed" and terminated is significantly quite higher....
Why do I carry? To reduce the risks to my family. But the risks to them due to loss of income and medical insurance are greater than the risk from some bad guy. I prefer to carry always, but I need to put my family first. The cards come up "Don't carry at work' for me.

#6 ·
Haha, yeah... My life insurance is only enough to cover basic costs at the moment. I'm newly-married and she's still in school so finances are a bit tight. I have to say that if company policy prohibited carry, I'd probably do it anyway. I'm not worth enough insurance money to support her if something were to happen.

Luckily for me, my company almost encourages concealed carry. Myself and about 4 others I think have licenses, and one more would if he'd stop being lazy and turn in his paperwork. Funny stats for an IT company, no?

#7 ·
I am already armed at work but still am not allowed to carry concealed while on the clock. Unless my post requires plain clothes (its in our SOP's but has NEVER been done). Now if I were not armed for work and prohibited from carrying concealed I would not "sneak" my EDC into my office but would secure it in my P.O.V. Like you I enjoy my job and my insurance policies.

#9 ·
I carry in many places marked "no firearms" but they carry no weight in UT. If they ask me to leave, I leave, or they can get me for trespassing. All the places that I'm not legally not allowed to carry in Utah I try my best to avoid
Know your states laws on these matters.

#12 ·
Lucky for me I am the manager of Bike Works Orlando and the owner knows I carry and he is cool with it. I bring my rifle sometimes not for security but I go on my lunch break to my friends gun shop down the street and shoot a few rounds no charge. I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to carry pretty much everywhere I go.

On the carrying where not allowed I tend to follow the rules even if it means going unarmed which I hate but that is just me.

#13 ·
At my job they don't allow us to carry or use pocket knives. Some idiot slashed his arm pretty bad so they took all cutting tools from us. but there has never been anything said about carrying a firearm in any meeting I've ever been to so far. So I carry everyday there and never had anyone ever even look at me funny. but I am ordering a new Smartcarry hilster to be even safer as they just "let go" several employee's that had dirty drug tests. We all know junkies and disgruntled employee combo's are never a good thing to have lurking in the shadows.

#15 ·
On the business side of things, I carried in Jared Jewelers when I bought my fiancee's engagement ring, despite the lengthy no weapons signs that carry no weight in Georgia. There was no way in hell I was walking out of an easily cased business as an obvious target without being able to defend myself. I had a tighter than usual t-shirt on as well due to being lazy with laundry and my Glock was fairly recognizable if you knew what to look for. The security guard, an older gentleman with a nice Colt revolver of some sort, kept hovering around me and eventually talked to the salesperson who was helping me when he went to check on something. Apparently the salesman told him to leave me alone because when he came back the guard had been relegated to "Can I get you anything to drink?" duty and then retreated to his post. He kept his eyes on me though. Had they pushed the issue though, I would have shown them the money they had just lost before leaving.

Normally, I just wouldn't have given them my business but a couple factors including what I knew she would really like wasn't available at a carry friendly store across town that I usually go to. Ideals and principles are great, but having the woman I plan to spend the rest of my life with as happy as possible won priority.

#19 ·
Not illegal? Then it's strictly YOUR call. How safe do you want to feel?
I would not share your intentions, nor ask anyone at work what they think...Shhhhhhhhhhhh!:ziplip:

#20 ·
In these times a good job is not easy to find. Do what you feel is right for you. You know the chances your taking, and the consequences of your actions if caught.

I'm very fortunate, the 3 owners of the company I work for all are permit holders, and have no problem with me carrying at work. Of course at 60 they figure I'm responsible enough to make the proper decisions.

#21 ·
I work mostly armed locations, even when doing traffic control where IPL asks us not to wear our sidearms due to there being a greater chance of our weapon being hit by a mirror or power line causing a heat discharge than us needing to use it. i still carry a revolver in my pocket or on my ankle. It is encouraged by the boss to always be armed, even if the weapon is not visible. On a side note, is my gun going off something I will really need to worry about if i get hit by a power line? I love these common sense policies some of our clients have.

#22 ·
Even if I wanted to I couldn't, not easily anyway, since I go through metal detectors on the way in and on the way out of work. The guards are rather lax and I'm almost certain that I could smuggle one in in a smart carry but as much as i sweat and move around @ work it's just not worth it. There are many places to hide inside the warehouse that outsiders wouldn't know about and I'm pretty sure most of my co-workers have no clue about either. Push comes to shove i'll hop in a brown truck and high tail it off property and worry about the theft later.

#23 ·
I deal with such issues daily due to social and/or work (employer/customer) policies. As others have said, it is a personal adult choice you have to make. I carry two guns everywhere, in my pockets - a PM9 and a LCP. I've also used the Smartcarry in the past, but prefer the greater comfort of pocket carry.

#24 ·
The Gov't repealed "Don't ask, don't tell"
The Armed citizens haven't. :image035:

#25 ·
In my case, I value my life more than my job, and I have a very good and well paying job. I will make every effort to make sure I comply with company policy, but if for example, a current or former disgruntled employee makes me feel that my life is in danger, I will do what I have to do. If I do decide to carry at work (knowing the consequences of my actions), get caught and loose my job, I still have my military retirement to fall back on.

So, I truly think is an individual decision based on priorities, circumstances and many other factors.

#26 ·
My company acquires several other companies a year, and of course, that means lots of redundancy... Meaning lay offs. I deal with them every week (even though I work in IT). We've had several incidents in the past year of disgruntled employees coming into the corporate office irate & lookin to take it out on managers or execs. To my knowledge, none of them were armed, but that's not a chance I'm willing to take. I enjoy my well paying job as well, but I always have something on me. Just curious if I was the only one.

#28 ·
There are some jobs I have had that I say, "Screw it! Fire me!" and have carried anyway. Got caught once and the owner compromised in letting me carry to and from the store as long as I put it in the safe when I got there... but whenever the gun wasn't in the safe he knew it was on me and still didn't say anything. I really would not have cared if he fired me. It was far more risky NOT to carry while working there.

There have been others that I have been a little more discreet.

BUT.. when the office I worked for that had a "no weapons" policy got a shooting threat you had better believe I was armed everyday pretty much until I left there. I just kept it as quiet as possible. Although there was that one time another employee saw a casing stuck in the bottom of my shoe from my trip to the range the night before and started getting a little nosy.. that was interesting.

As long as it's not illegal only you can decide whether or not your employment is worth it.

#29 ·
I've got a gun on any time I leave the house, and quite frequently while I'm inside. I'm not supposed to carry at work, but with the kinds of people I run into while working, I'm not about to chance it. The funny thing is that it's even a state contract that is supposed to prevent me from carrying. I guess the state of MT doesn't think I should be able to defend myself, because I might upset the occasional sheeple.:rolleyes:

#31 ·
I have a unique situation where I have a company car and a company policy against carrying on company property.

My boss knows I carry concealed and that I use the car for personal business when I am not "on the clock". Not sure what would happen if someone higher than him found out. I think I would be ok as the company (1) allows me to use the car for personal business and (2) cannot dictate what I carry and when I carry it away from the office.

I had a BG 380 in my glove box once and he found it. He laughed and didn't really say much other than "dont let anyone else see it". He also mentioned to never file a insurance claim if it gets stolen out of the car. Makes sense.

#32 ·
I had a BG 380 in my glove box once and he found it. ... He also mentioned to never file a insurance claim if it gets stolen out of the car. Makes sense.
If the gun is stolen, I assume you will file a police report and that may be a problem for you. If you don't file the police report, and the gun is used for some nefarious purpose, you will have some 'splainin to do. If you do file the report, it is likely that your employer, as the owner/leasee of the vehicle will obtain and read the police report.

Having had my personal truck broken into twice in the last year, I would not consider storing my weapon in the truck unless I absolutely have to, like going to the Post Office.

#36 ·
I've posted this before. The company I work for is a spin off of another company that I also used to work for. Our employee handbook is a photocopied document that is almost an exact copy of the original companies handbook. However for some reason when they made changes such as changing the company name ect. they omitted the paragraph banning firearms on the company property. The did leave in the ban on gambling, even though one of the owners was usually the guy in charge of the superbowl board.
I have carried at work but do not usually since I believe the owners are anti-gun. The president is a foriegner from a bannna repuplic. If I were to get made I wouldn't want to give them a reason to fire me.

#39 ·
In my opinion it is wrong to carry past a sign amd when asked not to by an employer. It is dishonest and in the case of an employee it should be considered fraud. If you need something from their store just disarm and get the product. Otherwise go somewhere else. And if you feel the need to carry at work when aske not to, well find a job where you can carry. Start your own business. To do otherwise is to violate someone else's rights. It is their right to decide what goes on on their property.

#40 ·
"The right of the people to keep AND BEAR arms, shall not be infringed." US Constitution, 1776. Amendment II, ratified 1791
With this in mind, who's right and who's wrong? The lawfully armed citizen?? Or the establishment that asks him to suspend that Constitutional Right, at their leisure??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.