Carrying Where it is not "authorized", but not illegal...

This is a discussion on Carrying Where it is not "authorized", but not illegal... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some work places prohibit employees, even a CCW holder, to carry in the office building or on official business by company policy, thus, making it ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Carrying Where it is not "authorized", but not illegal...

Some work places prohibit employees, even a CCW holder, to carry in the office building or on official business by company policy, thus, making it against the rules, but not illegal. Is there ever a situation where you would justify carrying anyway? Of course, being fully aware that your actions could lead to anything up to and including termination. But, seeing as how it is not illegal (therefore there is no risk or losing your CCW or going to jail), is it worth it?

DISCLAIMER: The purpose of my question is for sensible conversation... I am assuming I am being clear and NOT condoning any illegal activity here, only curious if/when you could justify to yourself (and potentially your employer) for "deep carrying".

J

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    But, seeing as how it is not illegal (therefore there is no risk or losing your CCW or going to jail), is it worth it?
    Only you can answer that question.

I work in in office environment, and they have that rule as well. Several of my colleagues have concealed carry permits. I don't ask, and don't tell, either. However, I choose not to carry in violation of company policy. I like and need my job. I have good life insurance, and a solid retirement savings plan.

The statistical likelihood that I'll need to defend myself with deadly force in my office is almost incalculably remote. The chance I am "outed" and terminated is significantly quite higher. See the postings here this week of a guy reaching up in a store and exposing his firearm. I'll take my chances unarmed.

If I am killed on the job, my wife will be able to walk away from the funeral with well over $1M, in addition to our other savings and assets. My kids are grown with good careers. Most of my job here on Earth is complete.

Well, concealed carry is concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    Well, concealed carry is concealed carry.
    +1 agreed
    It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?

keep your nose in the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

If I am killed on the job, my wife will be able to walk away from the funeral with well over $1M, in addition to our other savings and assets. My kids are grown with good careers. Most of my job here on Earth is complete.
    Don't tell her that!

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    Don't tell her that!
    Haha, yeah... My life insurance is only enough to cover basic costs at the moment. I'm newly-married and she's still in school so finances are a bit tight. I have to say that if company policy prohibited carry, I'd probably do it anyway. I'm not worth enough insurance money to support her if something were to happen.

Luckily for me, my company almost encourages concealed carry. Myself and about 4 others I think have licenses, and one more would if he'd stop being lazy and turn in his paperwork. Funny stats for an IT company, no?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I am already armed at work but still am not allowed to carry concealed while on the clock. Unless my post requires plain clothes (its in our SOP's but has NEVER been done). Now if I were not armed for work and prohibited from carrying concealed I would not "sneak" my EDC into my office but would secure it in my P.O.V. Like you I enjoy my job and my insurance policies.

My boss is very understanding about concealed carry...as a matter of fact he carries every minute he's awake and requires me to do the same...I LOVE being self employed!
    Backnblack and BkCo1 like this.

I carry in many places marked "no firearms" but they carry no weight in UT. If they ask me to leave, I leave, or they can get me for trespassing. All the places that I'm not legally not allowed to carry in Utah I try my best to avoid
    Know your states laws on these matters.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

If i'm up and dressed,i'm armed,all day,everyday,everywhere.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    If i'm up and dressed,i'm armed,all day,everyday,everywhere.
    Even a courtroom, Asked to testify?
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Lucky for me I am the manager of Bike Works Orlando and the owner knows I carry and he is cool with it. I bring my rifle sometimes not for security but I go on my lunch break to my friends gun shop down the street and shoot a few rounds no charge. I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to carry pretty much everywhere I go.

On the carrying where not allowed I tend to follow the rules even if it means going unarmed which I hate but that is just me.

At my job they don't allow us to carry or use pocket knives. Some idiot slashed his arm pretty bad so they took all cutting tools from us. but there has never been anything said about carrying a firearm in any meeting I've ever been to so far. So I carry everyday there and never had anyone ever even look at me funny. but I am ordering a new Smartcarry hilster to be even safer as they just "let go" several employee's that had dirty drug tests. We all know junkies and disgruntled employee combo's are never a good thing to have lurking in the shadows.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

I carry everywhere I legally can,if I can't I either don't go there,or if I don't have a choice I disarm for the short time I have to enter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

On the business side of things, I carried in Jared Jewelers when I bought my fiancee's engagement ring, despite the lengthy no weapons signs that carry no weight in Georgia. There was no way in hell I was walking out of an easily cased business as an obvious target without being able to defend myself. I had a tighter than usual t-shirt on as well due to being lazy with laundry and my Glock was fairly recognizable if you knew what to look for. The security guard, an older gentleman with a nice Colt revolver of some sort, kept hovering around me and eventually talked to the salesperson who was helping me when he went to check on something. Apparently the salesman told him to leave me alone because when he came back the guard had been relegated to "Can I get you anything to drink?" duty and then retreated to his post. He kept his eyes on me though. Had they pushed the issue though, I would have shown them the money they had just lost before leaving.

Normally, I just wouldn't have given them my business but a couple factors including what I knew she would really like wasn't available at a carry friendly store across town that I usually go to. Ideals and principles are great, but having the woman I plan to spend the rest of my life with as happy as possible won priority.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links