Had to draw while riding my bicycle

This is a discussion on Had to draw while riding my bicycle within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened on Monday, June 6th, 2011. (D-Day anniversary) I carry a Taurus PT111 when I ride. Both for protection from wild animals and the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Had to draw while riding my bicycle

Had to draw while riding my bicycle

This happened on Monday, June 6th, 2011. (D-Day anniversary) I carry a Taurus PT111 when I ride. Both for protection from wild animals and the two legged predators.

It was nice, warm and the sun was still high when I got home from work so I decided to get on the bike and knock out 20 miles. I rode my usual rout until I got about 4 miles in and decided to take a road I have never been down before. One of my favorite ways to ride is to find a road that I have no idea of where it goes and just head down it. This was one of those roads. After a brief pass through some wooded areas, it stretched out into the corn and bean fields of West central Indiana as far as I could see. (not a real pretty sight right now as all the fields are plowed up, not green)

There were parts where no houses were visible at all. At one point I was riding past a farm house that sat all by itself surrounded by corn fields. I was admiring the view and looking at the gradual hill I had been climbing for a minute or so when suddenly there was a HUGE dog running at me growling and barking. He was serious and I started peddling harder to clear the area. but, as I said, I was going up a long hill I had already been peddling up for a while and I was starting to tire. So I couldn't make as much speed as I would have liked.

The dog was right beside me trying to bite at my feet/legs and suddenly, the little Taurus was in my right hand and I was bringing it to bear on the dog.

At this point, all I can say is, either this dog has been shot at before or, he is just a very smart dog and figured out all on his own that what ever was happening was not going to be good for him because he turned away from me and turned around to head very quickly back to the farm house.

I learned two things from this experience.

1. I learned that the practice I have done drawing from under the large shirt I wear when I ride (practiced while on the bike in the garage) paid off because I was able to draw with no difficulty and almost entirely without thinking about it.
    2. I need to get myself some type of pepper spray for dogs. I think I have heard about some called Fox Labs?? Anyone else out there have any info on pepper/chemical sprays designed especially to use on dogs or animals?

Over all, it helped get my heart rate up. And I did finish the 20 miles with no further incident. Plus now I know where this road goes, and that there is a house with a dog to watch out for there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Fox Labs is one of the top OC sprays, get yourself a Mk3 (2oz) or MK5 (4oz) and you'll be good to go. It's what many agencies carry and works on four legged attackers as well as 2.

Get the fog or cone (same thing just people call it by either) and you can deploy it easily on a bike. Make sure you use a lot on the dog so when he gets home his owners get to share in the fun too. Maybe that will make them keep a tighter reign on their animals.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Well done story and Glad you made it through ok. Check out Kimber`s Gaurdian Angel line of pepper spray stuff,works!.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I got my fiancee a Fox Labs pepper spray key chain a couple years ago (I need to get her a new one), that she has never had to use. It's great; easy to conceal, or let hang from a belt loop with your keys (It has a quick detach holding it to a key ring). It's supposed to be one of the hottest, and it has a green dye. (Although, I know the dye isn't necessary in this case, but against the 2 legged predators it's a really neat trick )
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I thought that was what frame pumps were for... whack whack, whimper whimper whimper.
    joker1, MtflyerHK and BkCo1 like this.

Firearms are great weapons, but pepper spray can also be your friend.
    It is good that you were untouched...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    good training and thinking ahead.' think gun' is the same as' have gun'. next concious thought is how best to employ it.
    most country dogs know about guns; there noise and blood letting ability.
    HALT is used by the USPO peoples so its rather universal that U.S. dogs have tasted it and will recognize the can.
    downside is the truly mean ones know it doesn't harm them and may push past its effects. won't know till you try.

ramble on rose
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Glad it worked out well. Those farm dogs are very defensive of their farm and runners and bikers seem to be fair game for them.

The local Sheriff's office has switched to Hotshot Pepperball. Google it. They have found it to be much more effective against 4 and 2 legged problems.

Glad all is well, Mike.

Senior Moderator
    Get a squirt bottle and fill it with AMMONIA.

Its a lot cheaper than pepper spray and you'll only have to spray the dog once, cause he'll remember you from that day on...
    Riana likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I will chime in,good response,one thing that made me think bad idea was just taking off on a road you never traveled before outside of town,this is a bad idea,#1 if you have an emergency you may not have reception for a cell phone,and number 2 you may not be able to tell rescue units where you are.Its a good idea to leave a map of the route you plan to take and time you left and expect to be back,that way if you become way overdue they know where to look
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I got my fiancee a Fox Labs pepper spray key chain a couple years ago (I need to get her a new one), that she has never had to use. It's great; easy to conceal, or let hang from a belt loop with your keys (It has a quick detach holding it to a key ring). It's supposed to be one of the hottest, and it has a green dye. (Although, I know the dye isn't necessary in this case, but against the 2 legged predators it's a really neat trick )
    IIRC this one is the stream type. Less forgiving than the cone. But it is small and easy to carry. My wife and I both carry this daily. But I have the larger cone spray for hiking and such.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    IIRC this one is the stream type. Less forgiving than the cone. But it is small and easy to carry. My wife and I both carry this daily. But I have the larger cone spray for hiking and such.
    The Fox Labs key chain unit is what they call a strong splatter pattern, kind of in between the stream and cone. It contains approximately 10 bursts of one half second duration and it's range is 10 to 12 feet vs the 18 bursts of the MK3 and 30+ of the MK5. Both the MK3 and MK5 have a range of 15 to 18 feet with the cone pattern.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links