Can a LEO carry on college campus

This is a discussion on Can a LEO carry on college campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a question there was a LEO in uniform with full duty belt and a glock on his side. This is in the state ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a LEO carry on college campus

Can a LEO carry on college campus

I had a question there was a LEO in uniform with full duty belt and a glock on his side. This is in the state of florida. I am not sure but was he allowed to carry his weapon in the college. He was a student off duty not there for any work related duties. Just there for class

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would say yes it is legal. The rule does not specify on or off duty LEO, 943.10 only requires that they be vested with the authority to bear arms and make arrests.

790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions.—(1) A person who exhibits any sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade, box cutter, or common pocketknife, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, in the presence of one or more persons in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner and not in lawful self-defense, at a school-sponsored event or on the grounds or facilities of any school, school bus, or school bus stop, or within 1,000 feet of the real property that comprises a public or private elementary school, middle school, or secondary school, during school hours or during the time of a sanctioned school activity, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. This subsection does not apply to the exhibition of a firearm or weapon on private real property within 1,000 feet of a school by the owner of such property or by a person whose presence on such property has been authorized, licensed, or invited by the owner.
    (2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:
    1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
    2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
    3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.
    For the purposes of this section, “school” means any preschool, elementary school, middle school, junior high school, secondary school, career center, or postsecondary school, whether public or nonpublic.

(b) A person who willfully and knowingly possesses any electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, in violation of this subsection commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (c)1. A person who willfully and knowingly possesses any firearm in violation of this subsection commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    2. A person who stores or leaves a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a minor who obtains the firearm and commits a violation of subparagraph 1. commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083; except that this does not apply if the firearm was stored or left in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would have believed to be secure, or was securely locked with a firearm-mounted push-button combination lock or a trigger lock; if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person; or to members of the Armed Forces, National Guard, or State Militia, or to police or other law enforcement officers, with respect to firearm possession by a minor which occurs during or incidental to the performance of their official duties.
    (d) A person who discharges any weapon or firearm while in violation of paragraph (a), unless discharged for lawful defense of himself or herself or another or for a lawful purpose, commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (e) The penalties of this subsection shall not apply to persons licensed under s. 790.06. Persons licensed under s. 790.06 shall be punished as provided in s. 790.06(12), except that a licenseholder who unlawfully discharges a weapon or firearm on school property as prohibited by this subsection commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
    (3) This section does not apply to any law enforcement officer as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (4), (6), (7), (8), (9), or (14).
    (4) Notwithstanding s. 985.24, s. 985.245, or s. 985.25(1), any minor under 18 years of age who is charged under this section with possessing or discharging a firearm on school property shall be detained in secure detention, unless the state attorney authorizes the release of the minor, and shall be given a probable cause hearing within 24 hours after being taken into custody. At the hearing, the court may order that the minor continue to be held in secure detention for a period of 21 days, during which time the minor shall receive medical, psychiatric, psychological, or substance abuse examinations pursuant to s. 985.18, and a written report shall be completed.
    History.—s. 4, ch. 92-130; s. 11, ch. 93-230; s. 1, ch. 94-289; s. 1209, ch. 97-102; s. 20, ch. 97-234; s. 3, ch. 99-284; s. 61, ch. 2004-357; s. 112, ch. 2006-120; s. 2, ch. 2006-186.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

An armed police officer in uniform taking a class is not going to be questioned by campus PD...I believe that his presence would be welcomed. Besides, if he's carrying a Glock, he's very smart, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In KS they can. They can go just about anywhere with it. Most all I've known were always "on-duty", 24 hrs. a day, maybe not "on the clock" but "on call". Check your local laws. Could be different in every state.

Sworn status is 24/7.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    An armed police officer in uniform taking a class is not going to be questioned by campus PD...I believe that his presence would be welcomed. Besides, if he's carrying a Glock, he's very smart, too!
    Not in my classroom, he's not.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    It's just one more privilege they have to be able to defend themselves where we can't (not bashing, stating fact only)

It could be against department policy for him to be in uniform and not on police business or going to or from work. The department I was on had policy that the uniform or any part of it, including t-shirts that identified us with that department could only be worn on duty, for special duty assignments and going to and from work with no stops in-between.
    Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Senior Moderator
    Most state laws allow the Police to carry pretty much anywhere whether they are on duty or off duty.

There may be some restrictions due to departmental policy or there may not be.

It is entirely possible that the Officer in attendance had just come from being on duty, or was going to go on duty after the class.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    OH, now that is just wrong. Not about him being legal, just the part about the Glock.

Maybe that is why he is back at school.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Totally legal. He doesn't have to be a campus cop or on duty. If he is in uniform then he is either coming off shift before a class or going on shift when he finishes class. Either way, he is prepared to go to work and he should be welcome on campus and in any class he wishes to attend. The campus cops are likley very happy to have him there in uniform as a force multiplier should a crisis or emergency occur. Cops should never wear their uniform while unarmed.

I would find it very odd for a professor to prohibit this.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I am pretty sure it is legal but it might violate his department policy. I would not worry about it.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    he is always on call and his tour is not over until he walks through the door of his home.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Some of it is also controlled by department policy, but the counties in Florida that I'm aware of don't have any restrictions, especially if he's in uniform. If he's in uniform the weapon is considered part of the uniform, as the expectation of the Sheriff is that he's representing him and he needs to be prepared to carry out his duties.

Off duty and out of uniform it has to be concealed, and it has to be a weapon that the LEO has qualified with, but carrying it within the boundaries of at least the county in which they're employed is usually the norm and the policy.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    I would think he should have to wear something identifying him as LEO, just to appease those who see him as someone breaking campus policy. To Joe Blow who doesn't know him, he's a student wearing a gun.

It is also possible he is taking classes that are a continuation of his profession, and are actually paid for by his agency, so therefor, he is there on business. Either way, pre or post shift, business or personal, he is covered.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links