Defensive Carry banner

Talk about ANTI

3K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  rodc13 
#1 ·
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,206156,00.html

Just ran across this article on Fox, of all places. I'm new at this discussion stuff (this is my first post here or anywhere else) but this got my backsides up out of the chair and ready to speak loudly. I guess that, instead of just ranting about this, I'd like to first hear what some of you more experienced posters see in this and how you feel about it.:mad: :mad:

#3 ·
Age group 18-22 ?
Last time I checked the VAST majority of legal handgun owners had to be at least 21.. Much less carry them legally.. Geeez, what would have happened if they'd used a younger group say 14-18?? Or have shown them (either group) very explicid (sp) photos or movies of some very "exciting" girls. Do you think that MAYBE there would also have been some changes in their Testie levels!! Hell, that would have got ME going and I'm 54..
Like any other info, junk in, junk out!:buttkick:

#5 ·
I've been concerned about my testosterone level for years. No matter how often I practice the old testo level doesn't budge.

This past week I used Frank's Hot Sauce to clean and lube my EDC. Sure enough the gun's testosterone level went up 100 times!

I'll publish the complete study in the next issue of More Psychological Bullsh!t. Stay tuned.:sheep:

#8 ·
Hell, fondling my weapons probably DOES make my testosterone level go up!

But it's a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. At my age I need all the help I can get!

Sort of reminds of a quote attributed to the Great Col. Jeff Cooper:

Q: (obviously from some antidiot) "Doesn't violence beget more violence?"

A: (by the Colonel) "I certainly hope so".

#10 ·
"Such findings raise many of the usual questions about whether the presence of guns in modern society contributes to violent behavior," Klinesmith and colleagues conclude. "Although our study is clearly far from definitive, its results suggest that guns may indeed increase aggressiveness partially via changes in the hormone testosterone."

:stups:

Spoken like a testosterone-challenged person. If the presupposition were true, then every guy in rut would be seen as "aggresive" and be a societal threat. Heaven help society that we should have horney eighteen to twenty-two year olds running around! I guess that is why this is the age group the military appeals to, and for good reason!

#13 ·
The first question I ask when seeing one of these is: Is this a misuse of authority? In the field of logic, which we use everyday often without knowing it, the misuse of authority is called a logical fallacy. We see it hundreds of times a day on television. Some Hollywood hunk or bimbo comes on to tell you about global warming. They will talk about the glaciers melting in Antarctica, but if you press them you will discover that they can neither spell Antarctica nor locate it on a map or globe. The Mayor of New York is going to tell us all about guns. Misuse of authority is when you use someone's testimony to prove something that is outside their area of competence.

When I look at the so-called study the first thing I see is that the person doing the study really doesn't have an area of competence. She is a psychology student at Knox College in Galesburg, IL. Knox College is just that a college. When Ms Klinesmith finishes her studies at Knox she will graduate with a BS (Bachelor of Science degree) in psychology. Not a Ph.D. (doctor), not even an MS (Master of Science), no a 4 year degree. Knox College is not a university and offers no graduate degrees. So even if she had already graduated, the APA (American Psychological Association) would not recognize that she has any competence in psychology.

The second thing that jumps out at me as a misuse of authority would be that the experiment is only related to psychology to a small extent. Studying and making expert pronouncements on testosterone levels come under the area of physiology not psychology.

As an aside the article is published in Psychological Science published by the Association for Psychological Science (previously the American Psychological Society). This organization was started in 1988 and boasts over 15,000 members. I mentioned above that the APA (American Psychological Association) would not recognize that Ms Klinesmith has any area of competence. Who is the APA? APA, founded in 1892, is the world's largest association of psychologists with over 150,000 members. Why was the "study" published in Psychological Science rather than in Psychology Today from the APA? I can't know for sure, but it would appear that the reason is that the APA's peer review board would not accept it. It's quite likely the "study" was never sent to Psychology Today. The young lady's professors knew that it would not be accepted so they sent it to place they knew they could get it published.

We have an old saying down here in the South that pretty much sums up the value of the study. We would say, "It's as useless as a pail under a bull." If that doesn't communicate to you send me a PM and I will explain it.

#14 ·
Man..... I couldn't have put it better myself. That is EXACTLY what I wanted to say. Ever considered a career in Intelligence Analysis?

#16 ·
I used to be a mechanic and have my toolbox, in my garage at home. It houses around $25,000 in tools. My neigbor across the street came over and asked, if I had a certain tool, after seeing my toolbox, I can guarantee, his testosterone level went up. Maybe I should quit loaning him tools, he might hurt someone with them:rolleyes: My car gets my levels up, going to the range gets my levels up, my fiance, gets my levels up etc...... When will the anti's stop this pathetic "scientific BS". I don't understand why some people buy into this crap, it's nothing but propaganda.:hand1:

P.S. my tools kinda get my testosterone level up too :image035:

#17 ·
Well testosterone is what makes men, well men. What do they want to do raise our estrogen levels? Now given testosterone poisoning is bad but in and of it self dose not escalate aggression. I myself love hot sauce and would ask to have some my self so as not to gype the other guy:p.

#18 ·
dr_cmg has posted for me (thank you George) and done better than I would :smilez: Not too many days we do not see ''anti' drivel'' but sometimes it sure is hard to suck up.

Artill -

#20 ·
Actually, it's not the increased Test serum levels that should worry anyone, it's the resulting estrogen conversion that occurs which causes the mood swings and "temporary insanity".....

....Nolvadex anyone?

#22 ·
ok maybe i could understand that handling a gun will get your testosterone levels up.....but wtf does the hot sauce have to do with anything? if i gave you a cup with water and hot sauce and made you drink it........then said you would do the same to the next guy....99% of people WOULD DO IT!!!!! men AND woman........of ALL ages......personally i like a practical joke as much as the next person.....its called a sense of humor not aggression its not like i shot the next guy because the previous guy put hot sauce in my water!

#24 ·
Sounds like the researchers was just jelous that they weren't man enough to handle a gun, and in effort to make them "feel" better they have to try to level out what a real man is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.