Wife's incident at the bank

This is a discussion on Wife's incident at the bank within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; don't over think things----a car is a weapon, very comfortable and even plays music but it is quite lethal under that fine shiny wax. but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wife's incident at the bank

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    don't over think things----a car is a weapon, very comfortable and even plays music but it is quite lethal under that fine shiny wax.
    but before we start with the bumper games: there is a horn---a light tap on which should get the attention of the dimwit ahead of you. and when they look in their rear view mirror you make the rolling motion with your hands and they will move more forward; thinking ( if they think at all) that you are done so fast and want to leave.
    and as retsupt noted...they were most likely related to the idiot in front of you. no real danger, but this shows what you can see when you actually look

avoid choke points....atms, the inner lane of drive throughs...
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

I applaud your wife's situational awareness, but it's good that she had a damped response.

If the Principle of Maximum Meanness (closely related to Murphy's law) applied, your wife would have become fearful to the point of nailing the gas and pushing the vehicle ahead of her out of the way... at which point, the driver of THAT vehicle perceived your wife as a threat, flies out of his vehicles and starts shooting at your wife.

About the only drive-up ATM I use is one where there is little cover for lurkers, I use the outside-most lane, and my sidearm is unholstered and either in my hand or really close.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Your wife has good sa, I too would have been thinking ahead, situations like this really make ya stop and think. Glad all went well

Are there any civilian defensive driving schools out there?

^ I'll get to the reason why I ask that, in just a minute.

My usual is to take the outside lane - the lane away from the building/hard structure - if at all possible (sometimes, the inside lane is the only one that will accept the type of transaction that I need). Also, leave some space between the car to the front so that you can generate at least a little momentum and/or, even better, squeeze through (heck, I do this, even just on the street...you never know, right?).

Now, the reason why I asked if there's a school that teaches this stuff to civilians is because I always wonder: if I'm using my car to "push" another vehicle, especially from-standstill, can I really get it done? There's the obvious mass disparity between some vehicles, but there's also things like bumper heights, as well as whether or not your vehicle can exert enough traction (based on its tire, drivetrain, and power output)......

To me, if I start a task, I'll want to know that I can finish it - and quite frankly, I don't know what's possible and what's not.

My car, a typical family "sport" sedan, rides considerably lower than even many soft-road "crossover" SUVs...getting myself beached under the car in front of me is thus a big concern. And while I've got about 350 horsepower and 450 lb.ft. of torque to work with, along with AWD, I know that I can't even overpower my own brakes with that output - which is considerably more than what most average vehicles make: how much can I really push before I either break traction, or when my car has met its match, in terms of just sheer mass?

Not only that, but many of the newer vehicles on-market have quite a host of electronic safety features: some cut power if they detect that your foot is on the brakes, which effectively curtails any attempt at torque-braking to boost off-line power - i.e. that initial hit to your target vehicle.

And what about your vehicle's curb-hopping capabilities?

It's also worth remembering that if you damage your vehicle, you can significantly impact your capability to *leave.* Which in and of itself may be a significant factor to your survival/best-outcome. The Dodge Sebring that rear-ended my buddy's Ford Flex saw catastrophic mechanical damage. Even after they freed it from underneath the Flex, the Sebring was unable to move under its own power. My friend's Flex was virtually undamaged.

So, I don't mean "defensive driving" as how to manage a skid on slippery roads or things like that - but to teach me how to use my car as a defensive/survival tool.

Only robbery I am aware of that occurred tru a drive thru window was when a guy put a package in the device they extend at the bank window,said it was a remote detonated bomb and give him all the money with no tricks,or BOOM
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep! I agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    I'm sure that was a scary situation to be in for your wife.

It was definitely not a violent encounter nor would it escalate to one, though. These guys were obviously attempting simple fraud, not a bank robbery. What would they do from the drive through? If they threaten violence, the teller just walks away from the window and calls the cops from safety within the locked bank.

I don't think your wife was in any danger.

In my case, if they did start something -pull a gun or whatever- I would ram the car in front and push it out of the way as I get the heck out of Dodge.

P.S. It wasn't these guys was it?

Attachment 51046
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Are there any civilian defensive driving schools out there?

^ I'll get to the reason why I ask that, in just a minute.

Now, the reason why I asked if there's a school that teaches this stuff to civilians is because I always wonder: if I'm using my car to "push" another vehicle, especially from-standstill, can I really get it done? There's the obvious mass disparity between some vehicles, but there's also things like bumper heights, as well as whether or not your vehicle can exert enough traction (based on its tire, drivetrain, and power output)......

To me, if I start a task, I'll want to know that I can finish it - and quite frankly, I don't know what's possible and what's not.

So, I don't mean "defensive driving" as how to manage a skid on slippery roads or things like that - but to teach me how to use my car as a defensive/survival tool.
    Yes,there are company that offer it I will find it and repost it.

Also next time do not pull forward into the spot until the car in front of you leaves the spot.
    TSiWRX likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like a situation for concern, however no real threat at that point. She could have planned to jump out opposite the 2 guys and use the car as a shield to safety around the building, ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Wow! You guys have strategic escape plans for going to the bank drive thru.

When I go thru the drive thru, I'm just trying to pick the lane that's moving the fastest.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

^ It's always good to have an out.

I'n my neck of the woods, you need a strategic plan to go to the bathroom.lol
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

VIP Member
    To heck with road rage, I would have honked to get the idiot in front of me moving, just in case. The banks generally stage the stations in the drive through, so you're not window to window with other cars. I try to use the ATM instead of the tellers. But after your post, I'm taking the batmobile from now on.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Dreghorn View Post
    I do have knowledge of one bank robbery from a drive through window.
    Someone attempted it at a bank a few miles from me. They sent in a note through the container demanding money. The teller, of course, just hit the alarm. The end result was the guy getting shot to death when he tried to run over the responding officers with his car.

It's gotta be the dumbest way in the world to rob a bank - absolutely zero chance of success... but if BG's were all that smart, they wouldn't need to be robbing banks in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    both men are wearing black tobogans and dark sunglasses.
    After reading this all I could think of was a couple of guys with large sleds on their heads, which doesn't sound very threatening.

I don't use the drive thru windows at my bank, but I do use the ATM, which means I have to use the lane closest to the building. If there is another vehicle by the window or the ATM, I hang back until they are finished and begin to pull forward before I pull up. Some people behind me might get a bit upset, but I refuse to get boxed in! And I drive a 4X4 F150, so I could push most cars out of the way if necessary. I'm not paranoid, I just don't like close spaces and being closed in or surrounded.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links