Wife's incident at the bank

This is a discussion on Wife's incident at the bank within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last Saturday my wife remembered she needed to go to the bank,the local branch closed at 3:00 but the drive thru stayed open until 3:30. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wife's incident at the bank

Last Saturday my wife remembered she needed to go to the bank,the local branch closed at 3:00 but the drive thru stayed open until 3:30. So my wife pulls into the lane closest to the building, another car ahead of her was finishing their transaction and just atarting to pull out of the drive thru lane but stopped just short of moving out of the lane (scrutinzing their tranaction.)when another car pulls into the lane directly across from my wife. Now my wife is side by side with the second white car that has just pulled up, its really hot outside so wife has her windows down (and the AC compressor is out). the bank teller extends the little mechanical drawer and wife puts all of her items and I.D. inside. the bank teller begins processing my wifes transactions,now things take a turn for the worst. Their are 2 guys in the white car that has just pulled up side by side with my wife, both men are wearing black tobogans and dark sunglasses. the driver puts something into the bank container and pushes the button,wife couldnt tell exactly what it was, The bank immediately stops processing my wife's transactions and all eyes are on the 2 guys in the white car. after about a minute or so my wife overhears the bank teller over the speaker ask if either of the men had I.D. and how much they wanted withdrawn out of checking or savings. Wife heard the 2 guys in a low voice ask each other "do we want checking or savings?" they seemed to get very aggitated at this request. Now at this time a third vehicle has pulled in behind my wife so now she is completely boxed in,The car thst was in front of her at first is still stationary blocking any forward movement, a truck has just pulled in behind my wife blocking any backward movement, and since my wife used the lane closest to the bank there isn't enough clearance for her to get out of her car on either side. She's completely boxed in and has 2 potential threats directly actoss from her. She was carrying at the time, but in this situation what could you do? you're trapped in your car,cant moce in any direction and have to potentialy deal with 2 threats at close range with no cover. After the bank asked which account the 2 guys wanted a withdrawl from the driver yelled"Never mind! we'll just go to another bank!" and they sped off leaving behind whatever they put in the bank canister.

Wife asked me what could you do in this situation if one of the 2 BG decided to escalate the situation,My wife made direct eye contact with both men and said she could give a good physical descriptor of both but what if one had drawn a gun, how could you handle this? I couldnt think of any possible way out other than hitting the horn and ducking.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm always surrounded by cars in the drive-thru, especially in the afternoons.

Paranoia runs deep...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm sure that was a scary situation to be in for your wife.

It was definitely not a violent encounter nor would it escalate to one, though. These guys were obviously attempting simple fraud, not a bank robbery. What would they do from the drive through? If they threaten violence, the teller just walks away from the window and calls the cops from safety within the locked bank.

I don't think your wife was in any danger.

In my case, if they did start something -pull a gun or whatever- I would ram the car in front and push it out of the way as I get the heck out of Dodge.

P.S. It wasn't these guys was it?

strange-brew.jpg
    Ally and MadMac like this.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

LOL. nope not those 2.

Always use the lane furthest from the bank building. You are less likely to get blocked in that way and have a better view of what's around you.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    Last Saturday my wife remembered she needed to go to the bank,the local branch closed at 3:00 but the drive thru stayed open until 3:30. So my wife pulls into the lane closest to the building, another car ahead of her was finishing their transaction and just atarting to pull out of the drive thru lane but stopped just short of moving out of the lane (scrutinzing their tranaction.)when another car pulls into the lane directly across from my wife. Now my wife is side by side with the second white car that has just pulled up, its really hot outside so wife has her windows down (and the AC compressor is out). the bank teller extends the little mechanical drawer and wife puts all of her items and I.D. inside. the bank teller begins processing my wifes transactions,now things take a turn for the worst. Their are 2 guys in the white car that has just pulled up side by side with my wife, both men are wearing black tobogans and dark sunglasses. the driver puts something into the bank container and pushes the button,wife couldnt tell exactly what it was, The bank immediately stops processing my wife's transactions and all eyes are on the 2 guys in the white car. after about a minute or so my wife overhears the bank teller over the speaker ask if either of the men had I.D. and how much they wanted withdrawn out of checking or savings. Wife heard the 2 guys in a low voice ask each other "do we want checking or savings?" they seemed to get very aggitated at this request. Now at this time a third vehicle has pulled in behind my wife so now she is completely boxed in,The car thst was in front of her at first is still stationary blocking any forward movement, a truck has just pulled in behind my wife blocking any backward movement, and since my wife used the lane closest to the bank there isn't enough clearance for her to get out of her car on either side. She's completely boxed in and has 2 potential threats directly actoss from her. She was carrying at the time, but in this situation what could you do? your trapped in your car,cant moce in any direction and have to potentialy deal with 2 threats at close range with no cover. After the bank asked which account the 2 guys wanted a withdrawl from the driver yelled"Never mind! we'll just go to another bank!" and they sped off leaving behind whatever they put in the bank canister.

Wife asked me what could you do in this situation if one of the 2 BG decided to escalate the situation,My wife made direct eye contact with both men and said she could give a good physical descriptor of both but what if one had drawn a gun, how could you handle this? I couldnt think of any possible way out other than hitting the horn and ducking.
    Sounds like fraud. I don't think these guys would get violent--have yet to hear about an armed robbery at the drive through, without physical contact with a teller. As far as being boxed in, well--that's what you get for going through the drive through. It's all about risk, and mitigating the risk. If they were to draw a gun, you've drawn the short end of the stick--not much to do, unless you try to surrepticiously try to draw your firearm (but if you fire, it's going to get loud, quickly, in an enclosed environment).

I guess the best way to avoid this in the future is to either bank online, withdraw money at an ATM, or if you HAVE to go to the bank, go inside.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

This doesn't sound like a dangerous situation at all.

What, people gonna open up with firearms? Why?

Chill zone.
    MadMac likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I can see why she was a bit concerned, but it ended up being no threat. That said, I agree that if things got to the point that one of them got to be a BG then IMO the best solution is to use the car she is in as a ram to move the car to the front. So I would just gun it and get out of the way as fast as possible. A car wreck is preferable to a shootout any time.

Glad it worked out okay and she is safe.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Interesting story and based on your description, it doesn’t appear your wife had any options but to ride out the tension. I suppose if I were in her situation and under those conditions I may have tried to jot down the license plate as they pulled away. Not sure that would have been of any value but you never know.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Administrator
    Agree with the above, but if you needed too hit the car in front of you. It'll move.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Sounds like a couple of buffoons were in the car next to your wife. Good on her for the SA. Good on her for not drawing as the situation did not require it. If things escalated, I would hit the gas. Sure you will have some property damage to deal with, but being alive to deal with a fender bender sure beats being the nice dead guy who did not hit a car. Unless they had a gun out, I would not draw, then I would do so so that they would not know. Gettting the heck out of Dodge, even with some property damage, beats getting shot at in my book.

ETA - SIXTO posted while I was typing.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I do have knowledge of one bank robbery from a drive through window.
    Last edited by Dreghorn; June 11th, 2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: post edited to remove how it was done. No point in educating the public.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Posted by shockwave:
    This doesn't sound like a dangerous situation at all.

What, people gonna open up with firearms? Why?

Chill zone
    On the one hand I agree with you--yet, this world is filled with crazy, stupid, irrational people who do things that many of us would never even consider. I think the OPs concerns, and trying to think thru options, even if perhaps not likely, makes a great deal of sense--his wife's SA/spidey sense told her something was "wrong" and she had that funny feeling in her guts, but was boxed in with no easy escape possible. I know that I personally would NOT like that feeling of knowing something "not good" was going on and not being able to get away.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

They certainly could not have been planning a robbery from the drive-up window? A couple of idiots, yes...real problem, I doubt it. Glad your wife did not encounter 'bumper cars'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

thanks for the advice, mostly she was startled at their appearance more than really scared, but the situation did make her think and realize that their ARE bad people in the world.She has always been kind of passive about carrying "I'll probably never even need this gun." She tends to keep her gun just "wherever" if she needed it in a hurry she'd be in real trouble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links