Is Virginia a "must notify" state?

This is a discussion on Is Virginia a "must notify" state? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kelcarry In recent replies varob suggested that it is a good idea to notify an LEO in the conduct of his business ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is Virginia a "must notify" state?

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    In recent replies varob suggested that it is a good idea to notify an LEO in the conduct of his business if you have a firearm in your possession regardless of state law. Cold Shot answered "why". I would assume there is a hint of sarcasm in his reply. Don't you think that an armed LEO, during the conduct of his business with you, is entitled to be made aware of a firearm that you are carrying or is in your car? Don't you think that he will be a bit more relaxed and less suspicious if he is told such information upfront and not after some needed search of your car or person? Don't you think that as a responsible CCer, there is a sense of personal responsibility that goes along with the permission given to you to CC and that might include informing an LEO? I assume your answers to my questions may very well come down to your constitutional rights and state law etal and if that is the case I guess we will agree to disagree. All I can add is the fact that if I were an LEO and I found out about your firearm after the fact and I want to go home at night after my shift, I will do everything I can to be absolutely sure of the status of your CCWP and if this takes 2 hours, so be it.
    Very good answer

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by test drive View Post
    Going to Virginia sunday. do you have to notify that you have a carry permit to LEO when approched such as stopped for speeding? thanks.
    I'm sorry if this comes off rude. If someone can't find the the answer to such a basic question online, then I don't think they need a CPL. It is the CPL holders responsibility to know the laws of the state they are going to be in. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

As for informing LEOs. The first thing out of my mouth after good day sir / ma'am is that I am packing. I've had to inform LEOs on multiple times all over the country since joining the military. Every single time the LEOs attitude greatly improved because now they know that there is something that can kill them and the fact that I disclosed that info first thing makes them feel like I'm not trying to hide anything.

I've also been on the other side of the badge as a reserve deputy in Florida which is not a must inform state. Most encounters I had with CPL holders did tell me about it right up front. The ones that didn't made me think in the back of my mind what they might be hiding. I'll tell you that it will never hurt informing a LEO that you are carrying regardless if you are required or not.

We teach our students that although it is their right to say nothing, we suggest that they inform the officer in Virginia.

Having been a LEO in VA, I explain to them how LEO's don't like surprises, expecially involving guns.

Common courtesy says to inform in a Non Inform state... but, from reading several threads over the past year on how bad a LEO traffic stops can go if you do inform, i will keep that information to myself, unless i am in an Inform State. Should i also inform a LEO of my high cholesterol, or how my ex wife if a jerk??????????...no... because it does not pertain to the traffic stop. Speaking calmly, acting cool, and having all documentation ready when the officer arrives at my window is all i would give, unless asked. Treating the officer with respect is a must, and is more important than letting them know that i have a firearm on my person legally. To each their own i guess. Good luck with your trip. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    More than likely an LEO is going to ask "Is there anything in the vehicle I should know about?" When they first make contact with you. I notify up front before they ask and have not had a problem so far.
    And since the weapon I am legally carrying is none of his business the answer is 'No"
    Nathanimal and SIGguy229 like this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Just like to comment that I appreciated the very courteous, exacting, and well said replies to my initial reply. I actually agree with most and found your editorial "thrashing" of my reply to be right on. I understand that many states tie DLs to CCWPs but many do not and many states are "must notify", but even then, if I am CC, I still believe that handing over my permit with my license and registration is just good citizenship. Be safe brothers and God Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Just like to comment that I appreciated the very courteous, exacting, and well said replies to my initial reply. I actually agree with most and found your editorial "thrashing" of my reply to be right on. I understand that many states tie DLs to CCWPs but many do not and many states are "must notify", but even then, if I am CC, I still believe that handing over my permit with my license and registration is just good citizenship. Be safe brothers and God Bless.
    You were corrected on this multiple times on usacarry.com w/ cites. Nine (out of 48 hardly "many") states require notification.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Common courtesy says to inform in a Non Inform state... but, from reading several threads over the past year on how bad a LEO traffic stops can go if you do inform, i will keep that information to myself, unless i am in an Inform State. Should i also inform a LEO of my high cholesterol, or how my ex wife if a jerk??????????...no... because it does not pertain to the traffic stop. Speaking calmly, acting cool, and having all documentation ready when the officer arrives at my window is all i would give, unless asked. Treating the officer with respect is a must, and is more important than letting them know that i have a firearm on my person legally. To each their own i guess. Good luck with your trip. Bunker
    exactly. I can be respectful and courteous and still not bring up the fact that I am armed.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmindwarp View Post
    You were corrected on this multiple times on usacarry.com w/ cites. Nine (out of 48 hardly "many") states require notification.
    10...if you count TX...which still has the requirement, just no penalty for not informing.

AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    exactly. I can be respectful and courteous and still not bring up the fact that I am armed.

10...if you count TX...which still has the requirement, just no penalty for not informing.

AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX
    That's true but in Texas they don't have a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    ...I did stop but I guess what he called a stop and what I call a stop are different...
    That reminds me of a joke. A guy in a fancy suit driving a fancy car was rolling through a small country town and was pulled over by a local police officer. He asks the officer what the problem is and he replies, "You didn't stop at that stop sign." Figuring he was way smarter than the local hillbillies, he replied, "Sure I did." The officer says, "No, you slowed down, you didn't stop." The city slicker replies, "Well, that's the same thing as stopping." The officer decides he's going to do a little demonstration and says, "Please step out of the car." The guy gets out and the officer starts whacking him over the head over and over again with his flashlight and says, "OK, now do you want me to STOP or SLOW DOWN? Same thing isn't it?"
    SIGguy229 and redrick like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links