Is Virginia a "must notify" state?

This is a discussion on Is Virginia a "must notify" state? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to Virginia sunday. do you have to notify that you have a carry permit to LEO when approched such as stopped for speeding? thanks....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is Virginia a "must notify" state?

Going to Virginia sunday. do you have to notify that you have a carry permit to LEO when approched such as stopped for speeding? thanks.

No, you only have to notify if you have a firearm if they ask.

Although it's probably a good idea to notify even if they don't ask.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Although it's probably a good idea to notify even if they don't ask.
    why?

You DO NOT have to notify even if you are carrying (unless they ask you if you are carrying, otherwise you do not have to notify them). Personally, I would, just because I do not want there to be any surprises for the LEOthat involve me having a gun. Just a courtesy so that he knows you are carrying and have a CHP.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    There is no requirement to notify in Virginia. Not sure if SC links your permit to your drivers license like VA does. As soon as they run your license here they will know if you have permit or not.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Although VA does not require me or anyone to notify law enforcement in a traffic stop, it's more prudent for me just to notify anyway and give him/her my drivers license, registration, proof of insurance, and CHP. It can also put an officer at ease as each does things different and some rookie cops can tend to get overzealous.

No. If you're from out of state, they are less likely to know you have a permit from your home state (should you get pulled over). Drive safely, and you won't have a problem. I lived in VA fow 9 years, with a permit...been pulled over a few times...never had a problem...never informed. Kept the issue focused on my driving, as my firearm was not a threat.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    More than likely an LEO is going to ask "Is there anything in the vehicle I should know about?" When they first make contact with you. I notify up front before they ask and have not had a problem so far.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    In recent replies varob suggested that it is a good idea to notify an LEO in the conduct of his business if you have a firearm in your possession regardless of state law. Cold Shot answered "why". I would assume there is a hint of sarcasm in his reply. Don't you think that an armed LEO, during the conduct of his business with you, is entitled to be made aware of a firearm that you are carrying or is in your car? Don't you think that he will be a bit more relaxed and less suspicious if he is told such information upfront and not after some needed search of your car or person? Don't you think that as a responsible CCer, there is a sense of personal responsibility that goes along with the permission given to you to CC and that might include informing an LEO? I assume your answers to my questions may very well come down to your constitutional rights and state law etal and if that is the case I guess we will agree to disagree. All I can add is the fact that if I were an LEO and I found out about your firearm after the fact and I want to go home at night after my shift, I will do everything I can to be absolutely sure of the status of your CCWP and if this takes 2 hours, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    In recent replies varob suggested that it is a good idea to notify an LEO in the conduct of his business if you have a firearm in your possession regardless of state law. Cold Shot answered "why". I would assume there is a hint of sarcasm in his reply. Don't you think that an armed LEO, during the conduct of his business with you, is entitled to be made aware of a firearm that you are carrying or is in your car? Don't you think that he will be a bit more relaxed and less suspicious if he is told such information upfront and not after some needed search of your car or person? Don't you think that as a responsible CCer, there is a sense of personal responsibility that goes along with the permission given to you to CC and that might include informing an LEO? I assume your answers to my questions may very well come down to your constitutional rights and state law etal and if that is the case I guess we will agree to disagree. All I can add is the fact that if I were an LEO and I found out about your firearm after the fact and I want to go home at night after my shift, I will do everything I can to be absolutely sure of the status of your CCWP and if this takes 2 hours, so be it.
    Well we "would" have to agree to disagree. As long as the LEO is operating within legal guide lines...if it takes 2 hours or 4 hours, so be it...The key is "within legal guide lines". In our state the HCP is linked to the DL. The LEO would be hard pressed to justify more than 10 extra minutes. If you get the ticket and intend to pay the fine you might as well have your day in court and let him explain it. I have for other reasons and will if needs be again and have never had it go the wrong way. You will find it an eye opening experience how much demeanor and fact finding (read as tripping over one's own tongue) changes when everyone is in front of the judge.

I treat all LE with respect and always will, but "I" expect them to operate within the law as established by the legislature "I" voted for to represent "me". I will surely be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if doing wrong, as I should be...I expect the LEO's to know and operate within the law. If they can't "I" am willing to go before the courts to get it decided.

The eminent danger LE faces in routine stops today is from societal degradation not my chomping at the bit to notify I have a carry permit and thus handing them a "fishing license". If I am conducting myself as "a reasonable man", LEO has my DL to run the check and no hard evidence to the contrary...we are done...nothing else to say, no searches, no "why do you need a gun" conversations, no "what do ya think of Sig's, Glock's, XD's or other range talk along side the highway"...nothing else to detain me for unless an arrest is to be made. The LEO has BG's to run down and you have other business, both of you need to get to it.

This and a buck something will get you a coffee somewhere.
    SIGguy229 and Nathanimal like this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    More than likely an LEO is going to ask "Is there anything in the vehicle I should know about?" When they first make contact with you. I notify up front before they ask and have not had a problem so far.
    if he asks you that he is asking you to self incriminate yourself, there's this thing called the 5th amendment, just saying

Distinguished Member
    I was going away for vacation, so I took all of my pistols, but 1 to my dad's house for safe keeping, even though I have a fire safe.

On the way back home from picking up my pistols I was pulled over for running a stop sign. I did stop but I guess what he called a stop and what I call a stop are different.

When he came up to my window, I told him that I had a pistol. He said , what kind and I said several. He then asked where they were and I told him that they were in the back seat and why they were there. His demeanor never changed and he took my drivers license and my CC permit back to his car. He came back after a few minutes and told me he was only going to give me a warning for not stopping, and thanked me for informing him of the firearms and told me I had to by law.

I didn't argue that with him, I just thanked him for not giving me ticket and went on my way.

That just showed me that all officer's are not on the same page with the law on if you must inform.

I don't feel the "need" to tell LEO's anything. I will probably say something in routine traffic situations to make things go smoothly, but that's about it. I don't do things that warrant the search of my vehicle, so a cop asking me to step out of my car is a whole different argument.

I've never been pulled over, but if I was, I would put my hands on the wheel and keep them there until told to do otherwise. If he ran my plates then the CCW permit would show up, and if he asked me direct questions I would not lie. Although there are some questions I might not answer.

Kelcarry, because of your hypothetical argument of "keep you there for two hours to make sure things check out," which is a mindset many cops share, there is a large group of people that don't do anything to make LE's job "easier." I only do things to keep myself out of trouble.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

In recent replies varob suggested that it is a good idea to notify an LEO in the conduct of his business if you have a firearm in your possession regardless of state law. Cold Shot answered "why". I would assume there is a hint of sarcasm in his reply. Don't you think that an armed LEO, during the conduct of his business with you, is entitled to be made aware of a firearm that you are carrying or is in your car?
    No. It has nothing to do with the reason I'm stopped. My firearm and I are not a threat to the LEO. I'll take my ticket and pay the fine.
    Don't you think that he will be a bit more relaxed and less suspicious if he is told such information upfront and not after some needed search of your car or person?
    No. I believe LEOs are suspicious of everyone--and that they should have some reasonable articularable suspicion for searching my car for a simple speeding violation. I do not have any warrants for my arrest, so I'm comfortable not needlessly making a simple stop complicated.
    Don't you think that as a responsible CCer, there is a sense of personal responsibility that goes along with the permission given to you to CC and that might include informing an LEO?
    Yes. I will inform as required by the state law (in the state I'm visiting). Otherwise, what does my firearm have anything to do with why I'm stopped?
    I assume your answers to my questions may very well come down to your constitutional rights and state law etal and if that is the case I guess we will agree to disagree. All I can add is the fact that if I were an LEO and I found out about your firearm after the fact and I want to go home at night after my shift, I will do everything I can to be absolutely sure of the status of your CCWP and if this takes 2 hours, so be it.
    Wow..I guess we should be glad you're not a LEO, then, huh? So, if you don't like something, you'll abuse your authority? Again--a law-abiding citizen's gun has NOTHING to do with a traffic stop.
    Last edited by SIGguy229; June 12th, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links