Sig Decisions

Sig Decisions

This is a discussion on Sig Decisions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Im new to the cc community and Im looking to get a sig sauer for concealed carry. Im def. decided on sigs but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig Decisions

Sig Decisions

Hey guys,

Im new to the cc community and Im looking to get a sig sauer for concealed carry. Im def. decided on sigs but Im not sure which one to get between the 226 229 and 2022. They all feel good, shoot well, and are within my price range (I know the 226 is pretty big but I know of a few people who carry it regularly). Im wondering if anyone has any experience carrying any of these IWB. Im about 5'10" 175lbs and dont have any cc experience so this will be my first gun for cc but I want a med. sized sig. It will be used primarily during winter when I can where a jacket or something. Any advice would help. Thanks.
    ~Duty is the sublimest word in the English language.~ Robert E. Lee

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

Can't really help you on your question. The only Sig I've owned was a 1911.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome...I personally carry a Sig P228 when I carry sig it is 9mm and the older brother of the P229. You didnt say what caliber you were looking at but all three of your choices come in 9, 40 and 357 SIG. The 2022 is the best value of the bunch IMO I have seen them really do some fine shooting in capable hands. It is easily one of the most underrated guns out there in the SIG line. The P229 would be my first choice overall, and if you are looking at 9, I highly suggest looking for a good W. German made P228. A new one will run you about 7-800 and is the same exact size as 229. Just shoots better IMO they have a sort of cult following. Youwill need a good gun belt and a well made CC holster to hide any of the three. Goo dluck in your search.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I EDC aP229 or P239 daily. My method of carry is not reccomended by most on this site. I carry IWB-SOB with no problems. Carry location and method is just something that every one has to learn for themselves. Good luck in your quest and welcome to the Signess.

I think you might find your current choice of guns a bit problematic for Concealed Carry, especially without any experience. Of course your particular build, wardrobe, and a few other factors will have to be considered... but I think I'd look for something a bit smaller if I were you. My P239 is the largest I think I'd go for carry.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

I regularly carry a P226 but I am 6'04" and about 300lbs so I can CC just about anything short of a heavy machine gun. That being said I have four different Sigs. A Sig for every occasion as it were. If it is going to be your first/only CC weapon I would go with the P229. With after market (Mec-Gar) magazines you can have the same capacity as the P226 with factory magazines. There are times when I find my P226 a little big (mostly during the summer) but it is rare that I find my P228 too bulky.
    If you don't mind adapting your wardrobe it is not too difficult to "dress around the gun" but there are days in the South when it can be less than fun.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Look at (and hold) the Sig 239.
    I'd also suggest the Sig 225 which is a single stack and lays nice and flat. I found the 226 big for me and love the 225.
    Sig doesn't show them on their web site, but they are available new, made in Germany.
    For pocket carry, look at the Sig 238, in .380. Lots to recommend it.
    RugerMak likes this.

I own a P229 SCT and love it, the only issue I have is double stack Sigs are chubby and tend to need good leather and belt to conceal well. I carry my P229 IWB in a High Noon Down Under rig with Rock Steady belt. I have to be very conscious of how I dress when carrying it.

I have used a P226 for everything; carry, range, competition, and it had performed flawlessly. IF I had it to do over I would get the P229 in .40 as it is slightly smaller with IMO no loss of accuracy. You can also add a .357 and 9mm barrel as well as a .22 conversion. Good belt and holster will help greatly
    RugerMak likes this.

All three guns you mentioned are full size. Nothing wrong with that if you are comfortable carrying a full size weapon, but really suggest you look at a Sig P239, which is my carry gun of choice. Reliable as all classic Sig P series are, but thinner and smaller. Mine is .357 Sig, but you can also get them in 9mm and .40

Its not a small gun by today's standards, but the perfect combination of size (you can get your whole hand around it) and caliber choices in my opinion. It's probably the most carried Sig by far.

P239-2.JPGP239-1.JPG

Get a pocket pistol ..... Kimber Solo .... stay under 5 1/2 inch gun, because you won't carry a big gun

P239 sure carries nice!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

I personally carry the P220 Carry (see my avatar). I've no problems carrying with even light cover garments. I know it's not on your list, but worth consideration. It's a .45. I do have problems with concealing under just a t-shirt unless appendix carried (partially due to crappy belt at the moment).
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

eb
    I bought a 229 in 9mm about a month ago. Its a really nice gun, but a bit large for carry IMO

My first carry gun was a P226/9mm I carried OWB with a cover garment....then I carried it IWB. The thing is, when you carry using either method, you have to dress around the gun. My second SIG (it's part of the SIGness) was a P229/.40S&W...and carry that most of the time....mostly because the trigger is very smooth--but I carry it either IWB or OWB--the key is finding the right holster, and having a quality gun belt. I'm 5'7"...190...and have no problems carrying either SIG.

I would say, figure out which you shoot better and carry that gun...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links