What's worse? The antis or the uneducated?

This is a discussion on What's worse? The antis or the uneducated? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by archer51 Definitely the anti's are worst. You can teach the uneducated...you can't fix stupid. Yep! What he said!!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: What's worse? The antis or the uneducated?

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Definitely the anti's are worst. You can teach the uneducated...you can't fix stupid.
    Yep! What he said!!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    So much of the anti-gun position is the old double standard. It's that attitude that they can defend themselves, but we're not capable of doing so. The example that comes to mind is the North Carolina State Senator that has been anti-gun his entire career, and last Dec. he shot an intruder in his house. (Anti-Gun Senator Shoots Intruder - Smart Girl Politics) It's that "don't do as I do but do as I say" kind of thinking that touches me off. I have much more respect for an anti-gunner that is true to his beliefs than to these hypocritical Anti's. The Rosie O'donnell theory of anti-gun, but yet she has Armed bodyguards. OK for her to be safe...shes famous.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    So much of the anti-gun position is the old double standard. It's that attitude that they can defend themselves, but we're not capable of doing so. The example that comes to mind is the North Carolina State Senator that has been anti-gun his entire career, and last Dec. he shot an intruder in his house. (Anti-Gun Senator Shoots Intruder - Smart Girl Politics) It's that "don't do as I do but do as I say" kind of thinking that touches me off. I have much more respect for an anti-gunner that is true to his beliefs than to these hypocritical Anti's. The Rosie O'donnell theory of anti-gun, but yet she has Armed bodyguards. OK for her to be safe...shes famous.
    And like Representative Peter King proposing legislation to make it a crime to knowingly carry a firearm with a certain distance of a member of Congress while Representative Heath Schuler says that he is going to start carrying on the House floor. People in Washington always think that they are soooo much smarter than the rest of us. As evidenced by the number of members of Congress who want to photograph themselves and send the pictures to females that they don't know, we know this is not the case.

Uneducated people can be educated. People with an agenda are dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Whats the difference?

I believe antis are uneducated
    Not necessarily. The worst one I deal with is a local newspaper columnist who is very educated with regard to guns, gun laws, etc. and the worst part is he proclaims to not be an anti-gun person yet it is painfully obvious by his columns that he is. As he and I have discussed over private e-mails not on his blog, his personal opinions regarding guns is quite different than his public position. Its almost like he feels obligated to tow the party line. I personally think he does it to get his blog post up higher than anyone else's at that newspaper (something he brags about a lot in his columns). Nothing gets more blog posts on his column like a good old fashioned anti-gun thread.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    He pretends to be anti? He isn't very educated then if he is pro gun but writes anti just for better ratings. If he is really pro gun he would be educated enough to realize he is only hurting those that aren't antis.

He pretends to be anti? He isn't very educated then if he is pro gun but writes anti just for better ratings. If he is really pro gun he would be educated enough to realize he is only hurting those that aren't antis.
    Fame and notoriety have little to do with scruples... and more to do with the desire for more money, fame, and notoriety
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Neither is worse than the willfully ignorant.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I have never really met or known many people who grew up around guns or watching the old time western movies who were totally anti-gun. The few who were seemed mostly afraid of the noise associated with firing a hand gun. I could relate to deep philosophical feelings against taking another human life but most dedicated anti's simply cannot give a coherent reason for their belief's. Politicians don't count because, as everybody knows, they are hypocrites when it comes to doing as they say but not as they do, ditto Hollywood icons. So what is the most common explanation by the anti's? Ex: My mother/father was scared by a gun. I was scared by a gun. I heard of someone who was scared by a gun.

OP: In my mind I can visualize you having the same conversation with her about using Bounce fabric softener sheets in the dryer:

Lima: I like to use dryer sheets to soften my clothes.

Grandma: I just don't feel comfortable putting those things in my dryer.

Lima: But Grandma, they're just as effective and they're way more convenient that liquid fabric softener.

Grandma: I suppose... but I just don't feel comfortable putting those things in my dryer.

Lima: And it's a big advantage that the kids can't drink them by mistake, like they can with liquid fabric softener.

Grandma: Well that's a good thing... but I just can't see putting those things in my dryer.

Lima...

In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

you can't use rational persuasion to change a persons mind on something they didn't use rational thought to reach their opinion.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

How would Grandma feel if you said there were NO laws to regulate guns? If you said to her "anyone can have a gun including a felon. You can have guns any place any time and buy as many as you want."

I have been called an anti on this site for suggesting we retain the same laws that you have mentioned to your grandmother that verify responsible behavior.

You will never get everyone to like guns but having the regulations you mention will give grandma some piece of mind and will not hurt gun owners one bit.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

It's complicated. He's an anti who is always proclaiming that he really is NOT an anti, but he posts columns to paint gun owners and carriers in the most negative manner possible, but then when you talk to him one-on-one and not in the public forum he isn't as anti as he lets on in his professional capacity. Crazy, huh?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links