OHIO Restaurant Carry Bill Update

This is a discussion on OHIO Restaurant Carry Bill Update within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got an email from Ohioans For Concealed Carry that said the Senate version of the restaurant carry bill was going to be brought up ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: OHIO Restaurant Carry Bill Update

I got an email from Ohioans For Concealed Carry that said the Senate version of the restaurant carry bill was going to be brought up in the Ohio House of Represetatives this afternoon. The house session is being streamed live right now at The Ohio Channel | Home if anyone is interested in watching. I'll post an update as soon as there is any further info.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I believe it just passed..
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

SB #17 just passed at 2:38 on the afternoon of 15 June 2011! HOORAY!!! A bunch of democrats tried to enter a number of amendments, which would have delayed things because then it would have gone back to the senate again. All the amendments were defeated, the bill was voted on, and passed 55 yeay to 38 nay.

I was amazed at some of the ignorant remarks and comments made by some of the democrats who were proposing amendments!!! The representative from Dayton was particularly bad!!! What he said didn't even make sense!! But finally the bill has passed. Now we have to wait for our governor to sign it, then wait 90 days after he signs it before it takes effect.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

You guys smell that? That my friends is the smell of change. Great New for OHIO. Is the Govenor pro or anti or middle?

So to be clear.. mainly for my self (and maybe others) a valid CCW permit holder can now carry where alcohol is served, as long as he/she does not partake in drinking of alcohol.
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by younggun View Post
    So to be clear.. mainly for my self (and maybe others) a valid CCW permit holder can now carry where alcohol is served, as long as he/she does not partake in drinking of alcohol.
    NO YOU CANNOT!!!!!

DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES YET!!!!!

This still has to get signed by the Gov., then there is a 90 day waiting period.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    SB #17 just passed at 2:38 on the afternoon of 15 June 2011! HOORAY!!! A bunch of democrats tried to enter a number of amendments, which would have delayed things because then it would have gone back to the senate again. All the amendments were defeated, the bill was voted on, and passed 55 yeay to 38 nay.

I was amazed at some of the ignorant remarks and comments made by some of the democrats who were proposing amendments!!! The representative from Dayton was particularly bad!!! What he said didn't even make sense!! But finally the bill has passed. Now we have to wait for our governor to sign it, then wait 90 days after he signs it before it takes effect.
    I watched the when HB45 was passed. It was probably the same group of libs making the same amendments. A few did not even understand the procedure and got shot down because of that. Frankly the libs looked a bit like a grade school debate team - not impressive. Why do we elect this caliber of person to represent us? Fortunately, my guy is pretty good.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Nope, not yet, it needs signed by the Governor, and then there is a 90 day period.

The indicators seem to be that the governor will sign it. But for now, the old rules still apply.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Send Gov. Kasich encouragement to sign the legislation. Governor of Ohio, John Kasich | SHARE YOUR IDEAS

I have to say, very good stuff. This aspect of the law is a real pain right now, and it will be such a convenience to be able to carry into The Olive Garden, Red Robbin, Chipotle or any number of good non-chain places. It has blown my mind that I can't carry into almost anywhere that serves food!

I should have been more clear..

As long as the bill is signed by Gov. Kasich and 90 days follows, this means as a valid CCW holder, it will then be legal to carry where alcohol is sold as long are the CCW holder is not consuming alcohol.

Yay or Nay
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    Thomas Jefferson

I should have been more clear..

As long as the bill is signed by Gov. Kasich and 90 days follows, this means as a valid CCW holder, it will then be legal to carry where alcohol is sold as long are the CCW holder is not consuming alcohol.

Yay or Nay
    Businesses still will be allowed to post gun-buster signs if they want, which carry the weight of law here. But, other than that, yes, you will be able to carry in a place that sells alcohol for consumption, as long as you do not drink.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Congrats Ohio!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Businesses still will be allowed to post gun-buster signs if they want, which carry the weight of law here. But, other than that, yes, you will be able to carry in a place that sells alcohol for consumption, as long as you do not drink.
    A big part of my risks comes from heading out to dine with the wifey/family. It's one of our few areas of recreational expenditure...we really have no vices.

I'm glad that in a few months time, this will change.

I'm going to make it a point to take my money to places that allow Concealed Carry, and do not have gun-buster signs on their doors.

Don't be surprised if the Ohio Restaurant Association strongly encourages all its members to post. That is what the Ohio Hospital Association did back in 2004 when concealed carry first passed.

Also, after the Governor signs, the bill goes to the Secretary of State so he can make a journal entry that the bill has become law. After that, the ninety day clock starts ticking. The Secretary of State usually does that a day or two after the Governor signs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links