Space camp

Space camp

This is a discussion on Space camp within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be picking up my son from space camp in Huntsville AL in July. Do any of you guys think it will be a ...

Thread: Space camp

Space camp

I will be picking up my son from space camp in Huntsville AL in July. Do any of you guys think it will be a problem for me to leave my handgun in my truck while I pick up my son up? Any one from Alabama that can answer this. Thank you

"Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

If It's Federal Property I wouldn't risk it,If It's like a Military base with Security at the entrance,they can search your vehicle prior to entry,attempting to bring a firearm on Federal property is a big no no,you would probably end up calling his Mommy to go pick him up.I would call and find out if it's considered federal property,if it is maybe you could find a member close by who would hold your gun for a coupla hours while you picked him up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Not at all. The center has very little problems. I work about 3 miles from there. Not a bad part of town. Stay away from the north and northwest side of town and you should be fine.Its not Goverment owned. Never seen them search any cars.

Thank you Alafan, I planned on locking it up in my truck while there for his graduation, I didn't really know what to do. I didn't want to go unarmed for the whole trip. As long as it's not government owned I should be ok.

If you want to heir on the side of caution in regard to federal property, you can call ahead to the installation and see if they have a place for storage if they do not allow them (Some PDs, courthouses and colleges have a procedure to allow you temporary access to a secure safe), or contact a nearby FFL, I've heard stories on this board of people being able to store them there for a small fee when they've got a vacation that includes a non friendly state, they've kept them at FFLs near the state line and picked them up before driving home through the more friendly states.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    If you want to heir on the side of caution in regard to federal property, you can call ahead to the installation and see if they have a place for storage if they do not allow them (Some PDs, courthouses and colleges have a procedure to allow you temporary access to a secure safe), or contact a nearby FFL, I've heard stories on this board of people being able to store them there for a small fee when they've got a vacation that includes a non friendly state, they've kept them at FFLs near the state line and picked them up before driving home through the more friendly states.
    A little off topic,but I dropped my 1911 off for a good cleaning at a gunshop in Michigan while going into Canada,30 days later picked it up and headed back home
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    If the Space Camp is on Marshall Space Flight Center the answer is don't bring the gun, it's a Federal facility and adjacent to Redstone Arsenal. Both a big "no-no" for firearms.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Well I called and spoke to he head of security. He said as long as long as I secure it in my vehicle and not go inside I'm good to go. Thanks everyone for you responses.

Non-Residents:
    A person who is not a resident of Alabama and who is licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in Alabama. Such a person shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of Alabama.

If you have an Arkansas CCW license, you may not even have to leave your weapon in your truck. Try contacting Space Camp and see if they have "no firearms allowed" signs posted.

Used to live in Birmingham. Alabama is a "may issue" state, but it has reciprocity with Arkansas and Mississippi.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Sponsored Links