A Texan in Toronto

This is a discussion on A Texan in Toronto within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife spent a large portion of her childhood in Toronto and her parents still live there. Due to this fact we fly up that ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By TVJ
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By GunnyBunny

Thread: A Texan in Toronto

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

A Texan in Toronto

My wife spent a large portion of her childhood in Toronto and her parents still live there. Due to this fact we fly up that way several times a year. Spending most of our time north of Toronto at her parents cottage. This year however, my wife had a reunion in Toronto and she wanted to attend. So we headed up north and spent the week in Toronto. We spent most of the time catching up with old friends of hers that she hasn't seen or spoken to in quite some time. (about this time you are probably wondering what the heck is his point?)

Point being that over the course of a week and meeting approximately 20 or so new people. Every single one of them asked me the same questions - How many guns do you own? Why do you own guns? Why are you Americans so fascinated by guns? Don't you know the world would be a better place without guns? Don't you know a mugger will just go away if you just give them what they want?

Overwhelmingly, they all hated guns vehemently. With every single one of them I went through my usual talking points of why guns are not inherently evil and howthey are merely tools. How concealed carry laws in each state did not turn those states into the wild west. How law abiding citizens have a right to defend themselves and their families. They were having none of it. Not even the slightest "well maybe you have a point". It is probably one of the greatest jobs of brainwashing I have ever witnessed first hand. It was by far one of the most surreal experiences I have ever had.

Has anyone else ever been in this situation?
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Next time, turn left at Toronto, and hang with my crowd in Victoria. Big difference.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I was pretty sure that the entire country of Canada couldn't possibly be anti!! Have spent some time in Vancouver and Whistler but never Victoria. I will definitely put Victoria on my list of places to visit.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

I wouldn't waste my time talking to an 'anti's'...not after I get his/her general drift...why bother?
    Stubborn likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I got a good buddy that leaves in Calgary. When he visits me here in Texas the very first thing he wants to do is go shoot my guns. It is sad that they have to dream of ever owning a gun. We have talked in length and he told me that unless you are rich or know someone like an elected official you are not gonna own one like we down here. Sad because he is responsible and absolutely loves to shoot.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I recently crossed Canada from Port Huron MI to Buffalo NY. 100 km/h is a ridiculous speed limit, less than 65 mi/h. On the plus side, they do have that round bacon.

Yep, sure have. I did some consulting work in Toronto some years ago, and my current company has a large plant there which I've visited several times. As a result, I have several business and personal friends in Toronto, and with just one exception, they've all asked about American and guns sooner or later... without even knowing shooting is a passion of mine! All but the one took a tsk-tsk, nearly condescending attitude which was on a par with mom telling as a kid not to run with scissors. (:Don't you know that's dangerous?")

Since Toronto is the most populous city in Canada, and the seat of the Canadian government isn't all that far away in Ottowa, I suspect the net effect is something like the "beltway sickness" surrounding Washington, D.C. Today's urban Canada is hardly filled with the rugged individualists that the old TV show "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon" conjured up. My Canadian friends are all great people, but with that one exception they really seem to share a belief that it is the job of the government to look after its citizens.

The one exception I refer to is a simply brilliant man in a professional position parallel to mine, and he's very much a "'Renaissance man" and a "man's man" at the same time. He thinks nothing of canoeing in the remote north country with just one companion and packing along everything needed for several days, yet he quotes good literature, bakes gourmet bread, knows his wines and has a sharp, sharp wit. He finds absolutely nothing wrong or evil with owning and enjoying firearms and even employing them for defense. He recognizes that Americans have a deep-seated love of liberty and laments that his own country grew up with a strong umbilical tled to Mother England, and will never see the rights of the individual held in higher regard than those of the state.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I for one have NEVER taken your wife to Toronto for a reunion.

sounds like smitty has a bit of a man crush

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    He recognizes that Americans have a deep-seated love of liberty and laments that his own country grew up with a strong umbilical tled to Mother England, and will never see the rights of the individual held in higher regard than those of the state.

bingo
    4evrinblujns likes this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    He recognizes that Americans have a deep-seated love of liberty and laments that his own country grew up with a strong umbilical tled to Mother England, and will never see the rights of the individual held in higher regard than those of the state.
    A good buddy of mine is from the UK, but became a naturalized US citizen and is now living/working here. Until recently, I did not know that he was into firearms. When he brought up the topic of concealed carry, I confided in him that I did CC. In fact, it surprised me was how much he knew about everything firearms, given the fact he was from the UK and whereby his formal British accent is a constant reminder. He recalled how sad and surreal it was when the British gov't confiscated his guns (1997?) when he was living in the UK...a whole 'nuther story/thread.

For his birthday, his wife and kids bought him a 1 day NRA course in order for him to apply for his MI-CPL. He took the course two weekends ago and passed with flying (red/white/blue) colors! He's now considering what his next (CCW) pistol will be (initially, HK P2000 or Sig P250). Since then we've been to the range so that he could try out my (EDC) M&P 40c and I could take his fs Kimber CDP (?) for a ride. I'm not sure what he's decided on yet, but he sho' did likey my 40c.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    A good buddy of mine is from the UK, but became a naturalized US citizen and is now living/working here. ........
    Surely you jest. Someone from another country actually came here and took the necessary steps to become a U.S. citizen so he could stay here, legally? Whatever is this world coming to?

MotorCityGun likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

you don't know what your talkin' a boot, guns are bad eh!
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Surely you jest. Someone from another country actually came here and took the necessary steps to become a U.S. citizen so he could stay here, legally? Whatever is this world coming to?

He's not jesting, and don't call him Shirley!
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I haven't had the same situation. But I have some family from the Toronto area. Every time they come to visit us in Omaha we have a mandatory trip to my local range. They love shooting all my pistols and always look forward to throwing some lead downrange. But they never express any interest in getting their own guns. To each their own I guess.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Links