"no guns" sign on gym door.

This is a discussion on "no guns" sign on gym door. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why not just find another gym? Why would you insist on giving your "hard-earned" dollars to the "anti-gunners" of the world? Makes absolutely no sense ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: "no guns" sign on gym door.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Why not just find another gym? Why would you insist on giving your "hard-earned" dollars to the "anti-gunners" of the world?
    Makes absolutely no sense to me!
    When I come across a no guns sign, I simply leave and find another merchant to do business with. Ban my guns, you ban me.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

The sign is neither legal by the standards of Texas, and more importantly the Constitution. Texas says it needs to have big block letters, the Constitution says shall not be infringed.

You are good....

There's a sign on a business near me that says simply "No Weapons". Not a legal sign. If I NEEDED to go in there, I would do so and could carry legally. However, I generally avoid those types of businesses.

This is not that big of an issue. I Valet for a company that has a large semi-transparent sign below the door that says "no Firearms or you go to jail and 10,000 dollar fine" Yeah whatever. I go in there and eat every night. If it is not a 30.06 sign there is nothing they can do. You are legally allowed (defended by law) to carry there. If they ask you to leave, leave.
    Same with the Hospital my daughter was born in. Big sign that cites some statute that says you can't carry in a hospital. Only problem is that the statute has been amended to say that they MUST place a 30.06 sign to prevent you from carrying. No 30.06 sign, no second thoughts. I had my G19 on my hip when I cut the cord.

Just figure out what you believe about it and follow your decision daily....or take your business somewhere else.

I've never once seen a "no guns sign" here in VT. I have seen a TON of them the last time I was in Ohio though.

The sign should read "Gun free zone, Criminals welcome"
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I don't go into non gun friendly establishments,unless I have no choice,like Hospitals that are posted,The VA clinic and or Hospital,The Post Office,Federal Buildings,If it's just a store that I can take my business elsewhere believe me I do,In fact before everybody I ride bikes with got their CHL's,yup I was the only one and one day they started heading towards the Mexico checkpoint to eat in a little restaurant on the other side,as soon as I realised their intent I stopped and everybody else did,I yelled I ain't going to Mexico I carry a concealed handgun.we turned around and headed back towards town,since that day they have asked questions here and there and anytime we stopped at a place to eat they scan for legal no gun signs,today every member of the club male/female have a legal CHL and carry on road trips
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    second to the not legal sign is that concealed means....concealed.

it is hard to take off a gun, undress with a IWB or OWB rig. small and safe may be pocket carry.
    but no one truly trusts the security at a gym for valuables; and a gun ranks really , really high as a desirable thing to steal at a gym. towel boy sees
    when you come in and how long till your back; short of an emergency, so he has time to clue his friend about his 'find' which will be the same as your loss.

and leaving it in the car puts the car at risk ( and doen't help you when walking back in the dark) for being stolen unless you have done proper by keeping your having a gun a secret...
    cause a secret shared by 2 is a secret known by many. people going to the gym have routines of leaving home with out it--
    but I'm use to having it...all the time, not just when i think i need it & than unlock and load it. but you have different perspective on many things.

perhaps mgt has a pay extra, get more secure locker section. worth asking without saying what you are going to put in it.
    as in, " i need extra security as i often have sensitive documents as part of my job, do you offer additional security?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    If I read other threads correctly I believe the sign has to meet all criteria including size for it to be enforced. Please do NOT take my word for it. If in doubt do not carry. Since it is questionable in your mind print the regulations and drop them off the next time your there.
    I really hope you are joking!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    I wouldn't carry there. We've got a mall locally that does nearly the same thing. The notice is listed with all the other "mall rules" on a bulletin board inside the entrance. Since I'm aware of it, I respect their wishes.

I'm not familiar enough with the laws in your state to tell you whether you can legally ignore the sign, but usually if people let it be known that they don't want guns on the premises, I respect their wishes and take my gun and my business elsewhere.
    Welllll, seems like if I am complying with the law, carrying concealed, and perfectly legal, then they are the ones NOT in compliance with their signage/request, therefore NOT affecting my LEGAL/CONCEALED carry choice. What's the big problem here? I do my shopping, spend my money, until IF and WHEN the mall ownership decides to comply with the same laws that I am complying with. At that point I will now make my choice as to whether to continue to patronize the mall and it's tenants or to take my business elsewhere... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

As has been said the 30.06 sign is very state specific as to what it shall say, and how it should say it. It must be at least 1in block letters, on contrasting background (not black & clear), in both english and spanish. The size you are speaking of would never pass, but with that said ... you would beat the rap but maybe not the back seat ride if the police were to be called. The other signs that have been mentioned are NOT legal at least here in Texas, but do show intent of not wanting weapons on the property, if they realize you are carrying and ask you to leave ... you must or you are now trespassing!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I visited my late father in a Texas hospital a few years ago. Their sign met the 30.06 requiremtents except that the 1" letters were black text on clear glass; not contrasting colors. It didn't meet the statute, so wasn't legal. I kept my Glock holstered and entered the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    This is not that big of an issue. I Valet for a company that has a large semi-transparent sign below the door that says "no Firearms or you go to jail and 10,000 dollar fine" Yeah whatever. I go in there and eat every night. If it is not a 30.06 sign there is nothing they can do. You are legally allowed (defended by law) to carry there. If they ask you to leave, leave.
    Same with the Hospital my daughter was born in. Big sign that cites some statute that says you can't carry in a hospital. Only problem is that the statute has been amended to say that they MUST place a 30.06 sign to prevent you from carrying. No 30.06 sign, no second thoughts. I had my G19 on my hip when I cut the cord.

Just figure out what you believe about it and follow your decision daily....or take your business somewhere else.
    Just make sure that is not a hospital that is associated with a university. Teaching hospitals are off-limits and need no signs to that effect because they are considered to be part of a school.

In Tennessee the required wording or a "gun buster" sign has the "weight of law". The issue of improper posting is discussed on local forums all the time but no one knows of a court case, yet. Most people see the issue this way: Their intent is for you to not carry a gun in their business. Would you want to try to explain to a judge that you ignored the business owners wishes, i.e. property rights, because the sign wasn't correct? Not me. My wallet and I go somewhere else.

I agree with rockbottom here. Don't do it. Btw rock, is the mall you refer to Peabody by chance? I am in Memphis every day and the peabody place has this same set up?

This "sign law" is one thing that gives me a second thought about moving to Texas unless I get in LEO. I like that I can go anywhere carrying (except the obvious places). Having my gun, then having to go back to the car to leave my gun because whoever wants to can have this sign, would drive me nuts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links