"no guns" sign on gym door.

This is a discussion on "no guns" sign on gym door. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to live in Texas and for a pro gun state they have a lot of places off limits to carry. The sign is ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: "no guns" sign on gym door.

I used to live in Texas and for a pro gun state they have a lot of places off limits to carry. The sign is not a legal sign so I would carry as it does not meet legal standards. Maybe the owners did that on purpose. I wouldn't bring it to their attention, I would just carry as if the sign wasn't there.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    If I read other threads correctly I believe the sign has to meet all criteria including size for it to be enforced. Please do NOT take my word for it. If in doubt do not carry. Since it is questionable in your mind print the regulations and drop them off the next time your there.
    Jeeze what do some people use for brains. Give them the means to post a legal sign or just ignore an improper sign? Hmm, decisions. Do they have a metal detector? If not what's the problem. It's not like this is a gvt building or the PO.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Welllll, seems like if I am complying with the law, carrying concealed, and perfectly legal, then they are the ones NOT in compliance with their signage/request, therefore NOT affecting my LEGAL/CONCEALED carry choice. What's the big problem here? I do my shopping, spend my money, until IF and WHEN the mall ownership decides to comply with the same laws that I am complying with. At that point I will now make my choice as to whether to continue to patronize the mall and it's tenants or to take my business elsewhere... JMO
    I didn't say that there was a big problem. I just stated what I would do under the circumstances. If somebody states that they don't want weapons on their property, I abide by their wishes, whether they LEGALLY stated their request or not. It's not like there is something at the mall that I just absolutely, positively have to have and can't find anywhere else on God's green earth. That's just me. You're free to do as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I agree with rockbottom here. Don't do it. Btw rock, is the mall you refer to Peabody by chance? I am in Memphis every day and the peabody place has this same set up?
    No, it's not the Peabody. This particular mall doesn't have any signs on the doors. The "mall rules" are posted inside one of those glass enclosed bulletin boards on the wall inside the entrance. Somewhere around rule seven (after the no loitering, no horseplay, no soliciting rules) is the no firearms rule. Technically, you would be within your rights to ignore it. You can't be expected to look all over the place for signs and read the fine print on every bulletin board in an establishment. I'm sure that people probably carry there all the time. Maybe they have it posted that way to cover their butts if anything ever happens. "Well, Mr Insurance Company, we had a statement that said "no firearms allowed".

I'm not a big mall shopper anyway, and their sign just gives me one more reason not to go there and spend money.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links