Transporting firearm on airline - Page 4

Transporting firearm on airline

This is a discussion on Transporting firearm on airline within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, I just brought my Gerber LMF, RAT-5, Spyderco, and CRKT knives from Germany to CONUS...in checked baggage....you're fine to put them in checked baggage...zero ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Transporting firearm on airline

Yeah, I just brought my Gerber LMF, RAT-5, Spyderco, and CRKT knives from Germany to CONUS...in checked baggage....you're fine to put them in checked baggage...zero issues. Just make sure your bag is locked (theft is a concern)
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Yeah, I just brought my Gerber LMF, RAT-5, Spyderco, and CRKT knives from Germany to CONUS...in checked baggage....you're fine to put them in checked baggage...zero issues. Just make sure your bag is locked (theft is a concern)
    I lock my knives in a COM safe that I cable to the handle hardware on he inside of my check-in luggage. I trust those TSA baggage monkeys as far as I can throw 'em!

Ok, first time flying with the gun tomorrow. Hard case (RUGER) should be fine? As for the lock, does anyone have recommendations? Also, can I lock my suitcase as well? Thanks everyone, appreciate the help!

A good quality combination lock IMO. No key to lose and TSA cannot ask for it to open the case without you present. The only lock for your suitcase that is legal is a TSA lock so they can inspect inside your suitcase. t has a small red logo on it identifying it as a TSA approved lock. I have had so many locks cut off even though TSA is supposed to have a key I quit locking my suitcase. I now use a nylon wire tie instead/

My .02

Why not just ship the thing to yourself and the destination - either in separate boxes for frame, slide and barrel or even in the same box? It sure beats the airport hassle.

Tom Gresham discussed this issue last weekend on his radio program. It sounded worth a listen for anyone traveling via air with a firearm.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oboe View Post
    Why not just ship the thing to yourself and the destination - either in separate boxes for frame, slide and barrel or even in the same box? It sure beats the airport hassle.
    because shipping can be quite expensive and there really is no hassle traveling with a gun. I've done it a few time with zero issues, just follow procedures and there shouldn't be a problem.

You can also investigate using an FFL to FFL mailing via USPS. Since an FFL can use the USPS, and if you can find someone to do it that may be cheaper than even UPS.

You won't have any difficulty flying with it if you follow the rules however.

Everything you always wanted to know about flying with a gun...

First, be sure to take a plane, it's a ***** to fly a gun.

Second, go to this sticky on GLOCKTALK.COM by Mac. It has everything you need and LOTS of really good advice. I followed it when flying and had no problems at all.
    Mac's Guide to Flying with a Firearm: - Glock Talk

third, be subtle and don't scare the passengers.
    Fourth, BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE TO FLY THRU NEW YORK.
    Fifth, carry copies of the TSA, AIRLINE and Federal regs with you, in the box with your gun(s).
    Sixth, DO NOT USE A TSA LOCK ON THE BOX THAT CONTAINS YOUR GUN(S). YOU SHOULD HAVE A TSA LOCK ON YOUR SUITCASE WHICH CONTAINS THE BOX WITH THE GUN(S). You would be well advised to secure the box within the suitcase using a cable. See the sticky...

The Federal regs:
    [Code of Federal Regulations]
    [Title 49, Volume 8]
    [Revised as of October 1, 2003]
    From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
    [CITE: 49CFR1540.111]

[Page 295]

TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

CHAPTER XII--TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF
    HOMELAND SECURITY

PART 1540--CIVIL AVIATION SECURITY: GENERAL RULES--Table of Contents

Subpart B--Responsibilities of Passengers and Other Individuals and
    Persons

Sec. 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

(a) On an individual's person or accessible property--prohibitions.
    Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may
    not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the
    individual's person or accessible property--
    (1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's
    person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before
    boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under Sec.
    1544.201 or Sec. 1546.201 of this chapter;
    (2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or
    (3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an
    aircraft for which screening is conducted under Sec. 1544.201 or Sec.
    1546.201 of this chapter.
    (b) On an individual's person or accessible property--permitted
    carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to
    carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the
    following:
    (1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other
    weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.
    (2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with
    Sec.Sec. 1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, or 1546.211 of this chapter.
    (3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area
    under a security program.
    (c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for
    transport in checked baggage:
    (1) Any loaded firearm(s).
    (2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless--
    (i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally
    or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a
    firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
    (ii) The firearm is unloaded;
    (iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
    (iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the
    passenger retains the key or combination.
    (3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.
    (d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of
    ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm.
    Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing
    carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

[67 FR 8353, Feb. 22, 2002, as amended at 67 FR 41639, June
    Last edited by DoctorBob; June 23rd, 2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: federal regs added.

Quote Originally Posted by oboe View Post
    In numerous flights to different parts of the country, I have never had it be a "hassle", just a few extra minutes. In addition, shipping it to your self requires picking it up from a location in possibly a city you are unfamiliar with. Then there is the fact that you are without your "stuff" for a significant period of time. If you have a late arriving flight it might be the next day before you can make the pickup. No thanks on shipping.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Just got back from my trip yesterday. All of the info, most of you provided was very useful. I flew Delta (one way) out of DTW to Phoenix. I followed almost all of your advice/suggestions without a hitch, i.e. copies of TSA/Delta rules, duct taped info on case, packed knives, ammo, mags, etc., etc.

The agent was an "older", more experienced person and did not require a TSA agent to assist her. She was very polite, calm and professional. She asked me to open my (double locked) gun case to see that it was unloaded. The slide was off and my SD ammo was its original box. She had me sign the orange tag which she placed in my (soft side, to be) checked baggage. I re-locked the gun case (which had a copy of the TSA rules in it) and then locked the soft side with one of those small TSA wire locks. I had also packed a box of Federal target ammo in a plastic bag, my empty mags, holster and two knives. Easy peesy, lemon squeesy.

I flew one way because I picked up a 32 ft RV to drive back to MI along with my wife and my 11 yr old (grand) nephew and his 12 yr old buddy. We took the "scenic", northern route in order for the boys to see and experience stuff that they may never see again, i.e. Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Grand Canyon (North rim), Zion, etc. It took us 8 days to drive through 8 states, all of which have reciprocity with MI, except IL. Although it was an uneventful trip in terms of any "dicey" situations, there were a few times during the trip back that it was comforting for everyone to know, including the boys, that I was armed. Not every over night stop was planned and we even spent one night "dry docked" in a Wally World parking lot due to a NHRA event in Joliet, IL where everything was booked within a 20 mile radius. I had unloaded my pistol and separated the ammo before entering IL, but when we saw who and what was in town for the event, I reloaded and placed in a "strategically accessible location".

All in all, it was a great and memorable trip.

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    The only problem I've had in a number of trips was a gun that decided, for whatever reason, to take a different plane them me and didn't show up until the next morning.
    I think I'd keep a close eye on this gun, It might just be that one the Brady Bunch has been warning everyone will start randomly shooting innocent people! Maybe you should consider sending it to me for proper training.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Just got back from my trip yesterday. All of the info, most of you provided was very useful. I flew Delta (one way) out of DTW to Phoenix. I followed almost all of your advice/suggestions without a hitch, i.e. copies of TSA/Delta rules, duct taped info on case, packed knives, ammo, mags, etc., etc.

The agent was an "older", more experienced person and did not require a TSA agent to assist her. She was very polite, calm and professional. She asked me to open my (double locked) gun case to see that it was unloaded. The slide was off and my SD ammo was its original box. She had me sign the orange tag which she placed in my (soft side, to be) checked baggage. I re-locked the gun case (which had a copy of the TSA rules in it) and then locked the soft side with one of those small TSA wire locks. I had also packed a box of Federal target ammo in a plastic bag, my empty mags, holster and two knives. Easy peesy, lemon squeesy.

I flew one way because I picked up a 32 ft RV to drive back to MI along with my wife and my 11 yr old (grand) nephew and his 12 yr old buddy. We took the "scenic", northern route in order for the boys to see and experience stuff that they may never see again, i.e. Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, Grand Canyon (North rim), Zion, etc. It took us 8 days to drive through 8 states, all of which have reciprocity with MI, except IL. Although it was an uneventful trip in terms of any "dicey" situations, there were a few times during the trip back that it was comforting for everyone to know, including the boys, that I was armed. Not every over night stop was planned and we even spent one night "dry docked" in a Wally World parking lot due to a NHRA event in Joliet, IL where everything was booked within a 20 mile radius. I had unloaded my pistol and separated the ammo before entering IL, but when we saw who and what was in town for the event, I reloaded and placed in a "strategically accessible location".

All in all, it was a great and memorable trip.

Sounds like a nice trip. Was the new bridge over Hoover Dam open? It was halfway done when we were there two years ago.
    The only thing I noticed was you went through illinois instead of swinging up though the UP. Highway 2 is a much nicer drive. When we go to Minnesota we never go through Chicago anymore. For us it's only about 75 miles farther going the northern route, and it's about the same time either way.

Another option, although I hear it's a little pricey is taking the ferry boat across from Wisconsin to Ludington MI. Especially nice now that Wisconsin will be honouring our CPL's.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Sounds like a nice trip. Was the new bridge over Hoover Dam open? It was halfway done when we were there two years ago.
    The only thing I noticed was you went through illinois instead of swinging up though the UP. Highway 2 is a much nicer drive. When we go to Minnesota we never go through Chicago anymore. For us it's only about 75 miles farther going the northern route, and it's about the same time either way.

Another option, although I hear it's a little pricey is taking the ferry boat across from Wisconsin to Ludington MI. Especially nice now that Wisconsin will be honouring our CPL's.
    Yes, the bridge over the dam was open and when you drive over the bridge, you don't even realize that you're also driving (waaay) above the dam. You have to park in a visitor's parking lot, then walk up to the bridge to look down on the dam. It's a pretty spectacular view. We also drove down to the dam but first had to go through a (fed gov't) inspection station. They made me randomly open several cargo/fuel/water doors on the RV while another guy inspected the inside of the RV. I did NOT inform them that I was armed since they did not ask. Coincidently, one of the inspection guys was from the MI town I currently live in. I told the boys that it was because of this security measure that the Islamo-facist terrorists, to a certain degree, had won the battle, but not the war (yet). We did the "dam" tour and were able to look up from the dam to the bridge, another impressive sight. Then we rented a boat on Lake Mead and viewed the dam from the lake. Makin' memories is what this kind of trip is all about, especially for two impressionable, pre-pubescent boys.

I agree, I would've much preferred to drive up through the UP and then down through the LP, but since we were on a time constraint, we "had" to drive through IL. Plus, that probably would have added another $300 to $400 in fuel costs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links