Transporting firearm on airline

This is a discussion on Transporting firearm on airline within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience transporting your gun(s) on a commercial airline? I know which airline I'll be using and I've read their rules. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Transporting firearm on airline

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Transporting firearm on airline

Does anyone have any experience transporting your gun(s) on a commercial airline? I know which airline I'll be using and I've read their rules. I just want to find out if there is anything "special" I should know. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

2. Remove Ads

I have never had an issue, I've done it with pistols. I just lock the pistol inside a hard-sided case with ammo seperate, and then put that in my checked luggage, and notify the attendant when I check in.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I have never had an issue, I've done it with pistols. I just lock the pistol inside a hard-sided case with ammo seperate, and then put that in my checked luggage, and notify the attendant when I check in.
    Exactly, then just follow the directions of the ticket agent; take note that every airport has slightly different ways the TSA handles the inspection.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

You can also use a much larger hard case, like a Storm or Pelican, put both your gun(s) and travel items inside the hard case, and travel that way. TSA is not allowed to have keys for your gun case. Since your personal items are also inside the gun case, they are not supposed to access that unless you are there. You will need to have TSA inspect the whole case when you check in before you lock up the case at check-in.

The Airline your flying should have a TSA link on their website to cover all the information. I have flown with mine most rules are the same. Locked hard case for gun and no more than X number rounds in a separate locked container. I usually passed the ammo section and just purchased ammo after arriving at my destination.

Here is a good reference and they have links to the different airlines.

NRA-ILA ::

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Will the Smith and Wesson (blue) box, locked with the gun lock provided, suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Will the Smith and Wesson (blue) box, locked with the gun lock provided, suffice?
    I have used the box that my M&P 40 came in to transport it. Locked, of course.

Distinguished Member
    I'll add:

- the case, when locked, must not be easily pryed open. I am not familiar with your S&W case, but my Sig or Glock factory cases would work.

- if you tell the gate agent "I have an item to declare" it somehow sounds better than fumbling around with the gun word. They will ask you "is it a firearm" then just say yes and you sound like a pro.

- bring ammo in a factory box, I've not locked it up seperately, just the original box with original packing intact. I put it in a ziplock bag. I've also traveled without the ammo, but sometimes finding self defense ammo in a strange place is challenging, time consuming, and expensive so I learned to just bring it. The downside is that it adds weight to your bag - I sort of struggle with the under 50 lb thing. Actually I count bullets to just fill the gun and mag and no more for xtra weight.

- remove ammo from your spare mag, ammo only in factory boxes or packed cases.

- TSA differs wildly between airports and shifts. Some agents seem inexperienced at the firearm process, so I usually print out the regs and have them to refer to.

- lastly, they sometimes remove the foam inserts from your gun case. Do a dry run of this to be sure there is nothing else in there, I don't know what exactly that would be but I do remember some reluctance when they started taking apart my gun case...what else had I stuck in there?

Happy travels.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I'll add:

- the case, when locked, must not be easily pryed open. I am not familiar with your S&W case, but my Sig or Glock factory cases would work.
    Thanks for the advice. I too have aways wondered about this. i've never actually checked a firearm because usually I try to fit all of my luggage into a carry on. Also many of my flights have been to European countries and I'm pretty sure I can't bring my gun with me to those. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Also many of my flights have been to European countries and I'm pretty sure I can't bring my gun with me to those. :-(
    Not more than once, anyway...
    Cattus Vir, surefire7 and jbr like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hahaha..now thats funny right there

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

link to the TSA site. They advise to check with the airline as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Does anyone have any experience transporting your gun(s) on a commercial airline? I know which airline I'll be using and I've read their rules. I just want to find out if there is anything "special" I should know. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    just follow the procedures set by both the TSA and your airline and there should be no issues, many people travel with their guns and the airport people have seen it often enough that it is no big deal.
    visit the TSA and your airlines website to see the regs and then follow them to a T

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Which is sad, actually. My two Walthers are made in Germany and my Glock is made in Austria and I can't take any of them to visit their "homeland."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links