Three shots fired

This is a discussion on Three shots fired within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PT-111 I think you did just fine and I think your wife is being foolish. She needs to pull her head up ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three shots fired

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111
    I think you did just fine and I think your wife is being foolish. She needs to pull her head up out of the sand ...
    She needs to pull her head out of that deep, dark cavity where she's got it squeezed. Excuse my "French."

Glad everyone's okay.

Such a situation could easily have been something more. And without the ability to defend onesself, it could quickly turn into a massacre. No telling what can happen, out there. A lot of ugly things happen for no apparent reason, and just when you're least expecting anything to occur (nice bbq, weapon set aside temporarily).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Page 14 of the laws states, " Altough a person may have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, they are not authorized to carry that weapon anywhere they wish. The weapon may not be carried in the following areas:"
    1. any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. SS 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-32.1 (School grounds, area where alcohol is sold and comsumed, STATE PROPERTY, legislative buildings, and public gatherings such as parades.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd

Page 14 of the laws states, " Altough a person may have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, they are not authorized to carry that weapon anywhere they wish. The weapon may not be carried in the following areas:"
    1. any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. SS 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-32.1 (School grounds, area where alcohol is sold and comsumed, STATE PROPERTY, legislative buildings, and public gatherings such as parades.
    I live in Charlotte and often wounder if you caould carry in local parks i see were it says State Parks but does it say local parks.

Freedom park, Hornet nest park and others

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cnova
    ...Hornet nest park...
    I'm not sure I'd frequent a park for hornets' nests, carrying or not!
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Quote Originally Posted by TBob
    I'm not sure I'd frequent a park for hornets' nests, carrying or not!
    LOL

I dont go alot but i hope i can sting them before i get stung

Quote Originally Posted by cnova
    I live in Charlotte and often wounder if you caould carry in local parks i see were it says State Parks but does it say local parks.

Freedom park, Hornet nest park and others
    Cnova, I am also in Charlotte and if you go out Statesville Rd. to Nevin park a big State sign greets when you come into the park and it states no concealed weapons. Proper state signage with where to find it in the books. How do I know, well lets say that I showed up to family reunion out there packing and since my home was far away I had to suck it up and carry. I was kinda leery about it but had no choice. Check it for yourself.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd

Please re-read that page!

You are reading an abbreviated text that refers to statutes 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, and 120-32.1.

If you read EACH statute listed NONE of them say anything about "state property" being "off limits".

The statutes do list a number of state owned properties that are "off limits", but for the simple fact of brevity, the text you are quoting mentions that list of state owned locations as "state property".

In addition the text you are reading is NOT state law, it is merely a guide to help find the statutes.

If it helps you can go to http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Statutes/Statutes.asp and enter the statute number to read the entire section.
    Hope this helps

Thats sad me and my wife go walking there. I have to check it out BlueLion. I will check the next time i go to the park. Thank you for the information.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I am in Texas so I have no idea what the NC law is, but it seems to me that a walking/hiking/running trails are one of the most dangerous places for law abiding citizens to go. Yes there are other areas that have a higher crime rate but most of that crime is BG on BG. Here in Austin (and I don't have exact stats) it seems that BG on innocents happen alot on hike and bike trails.

You guys in NC need to get that law changed.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I am with you as my wife feels the same about carrying as yours does. She always asks if I am carrying and "Do you need to carry today?" Yes I do need to carry. She has gotten to the point that she stopped questioning it and understands that I am going to carry and nothing she says will change that. It is for her and my daughters safety that I carry.

She does not talk about it outside of our home though.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

I’m think I will stop posting on this thread now with the thought of agreeing to disagree. I think that those of us that feel it is not allowed to carry on state property are going to keep that same mindset and those who feel that it is OK are also going to keep the same mindset.

I am not a lawyer and am not going to try to interpret each and every statute word by word. I am not going to take the chance and carry on state property and then use the defense of, “Mr. X on Combat Carry said it was OK” if I get caught. I think I will go with what I was taught in my class and what is written in the manual we were given. The instructor of my class has been a LEO since 1976, holds certifications from the NC Education and Training Standards Commission, and is currently an instructor at the NC Justice Academy and is responsible for the certification of all NC Law Enforcement Instructors. I definitely feel that he has the experience to know how the laws have and will be interpreted, and will go with what he has taught me.

Lead Moderator
    sorry to hear you wife is in cond white , perhaps permanently.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Hey my wife stopped complaining after I got her to pay close attention to the news and the people around us when we venture out. It used to be "Do you have to bring that thing with you everywhere you go?" Now it's "Did you bring our friend?"
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Well I didnt mention it earlyer. I still am quite jumpy when I hear gunshots.Even though IRAQ was two years ago now.At least I didnt dive for cover. Which I used to. Once in a resteraunt when someone droped some dishes.I just reacted to the way I have been practicing in my head. The real problem is there is ALWAYS a woulda, coulda, shuda. Thanks everone here is GREAT.

Quote Originally Posted by .45forme
    Well I didnt mention it earlyer. I still am quite jumpy when I hear gunshots.Even though IRAQ was two years ago now.At least I didnt dive for cover. Which I used to. Once in a resteraunt when someone droped some dishes.I just reacted to the way I have been practicing in my head. The real problem is there is ALWAYS a woulda, coulda, shuda. Thanks everone here is GREAT.
    Heck, I see nothing wrong with hitting the dirt. My policy would be to grab the wife, hit the ground, and at a minimum have my hand on my piece. I think you did just great. Hope you can convince your wife to come around.

All the best,

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links