Defensive Carry banner

Three shots fired

3K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Fargo 
#1 ·
I was at a party. In a park. Pitchin horse shoes.When everybody heard, bam bam bam. I went for my carry,but did not draw. Knowing distance to the street (150 yds), and that there were kids playing on a slide in front of there house.I saw the car that the shots came from.But couldnt identify it,in the few seconds that it took for them to drive by. I dont know where the bullets went. But no body was hurt. I fact all the Sheeples thought they were fireworks.
My wife was giving me crap about do you have to carry. Its a party and a 100 degrees. Leave it in the truck. I refused. Having my vest on to further conceal.
On the way home we got into a argument, She still says I dont need to carry, It will only get me introuble. She thought I was going to shoot back when she saw me place my hand on my weapon.I tried to explain about condition WHITE. About paying attention to your surroundings. At All Times. And where the mase I bought her. She has told just about everybody we know that I carry. I have chewed on her for that. Anyway shes outside pouting and Im typing away. Thats it in a nut shell. Guess I wont get any tonight.

#2 ·
Glad everyone is safe, but I don't think I would have actually put my hand on my gun. Anyway glad no one got hurt because violence can come anywhere these days. Also check your local laws about park carry, here in NC it's a no, no.

#3 ·
I think you did just fine and I think your wife is being foolish.

She needs to pull her head up out of the sand and realize that she was present at the scene of a possible drive by shooting. She also needs to realize that her husband loves her enough to carry a weapon to protect her life. In fact, you care about her life more than she does as she is not willing to stand up and defend it as you are willing to do. That is very sad.

I wish every wife was like mine. She carriis a Sig P239 every day. I carry either a PT-111 or an XD .40sc everyday. We are each others back up.

Your wife needs to take up residence in the real world with the rest of us. Right now she is living in some fantazy world where nothing bad will ever happen to her. It's going to be a rude awakening someday for her. I hope you are there to protect her.

#4 ·
.45forme said:
I was at a party. In a park. Pitchin horse shoes.When everybody heard, bam bam bam. I went for my carry,but did not draw. Knowing distance to the street (150 yds), and that there were kids playing on a slide in front of there house.I saw the car that the shots came from.But couldnt identify it,in the few seconds that it took for them to drive by. I dont know where the bullets went. But no body was hurt. I fact all the Sheeples thought they were fireworks.
My wife was giving me crap about do you have to carry. Its a party and a 100 degrees. Leave it in the truck. I refused. Having my vest on to further conceal.
On the way home we got into a argument, She still says I dont need to carry, It will only get me introuble. She thought I was going to shoot back when she saw me place my hand on my weapon.I tried to explain about condition WHITE. About paying attention to your surroundings. At All Times. And where the mase I bought her. She has told just about everybody we know that I carry. I have chewed on her for that. Anyway shes outside pouting and Im typing away. Thats it in a nut shell. Guess I wont get any tonight.

Man, I'm glad, that everyone turned out OK.

You also remind me, of why I'm so greatful for my wife. She was FURIOUS, that I had the NERVE, to go get my CCW without her.... she carries a 2" .357mag, but, is currently looking for, as she says, 'something that starts with 4'.....

#5 ·
i really started to carry when i started working for my local sheriffs dept.......you really start to realize just how much is REALLY going on....the news doesnt even cover HALF of what really goes on. real wake up call....now i have my gun with me everywhere i can. glad things turned out ok for you.

#6 ·
BlueLion said:
Also check your local laws about park carry, here in NC it's a no, no.
"BlueLion" your post is just NOT true.
You CAN carry in any park UNLESS, the park is a "US Park" (see: "Federal Property"), OR has a posted sign stating "No Weapons" (or similar).
It is OK to carry at all other state and local parks, as long as they are not on school property or otherwise are having an event like a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration as these events are listed as "off limits" places for carry under NC state law regardless of if they are at a park or not.

"BlueLion",
If you disagree with this please post a reply with a link to where you found your information. I told you about this before (SEE: Other Thread) but it seems you did not see it. I may be wrong, but I have checked many sources and cannot seem to find any mention of park carry in NC (other than state owned) being a "no no" . Please re-check your sources before telling others they cannot carry in ALL parks in NC.
Joe

#7 ·
Arguing with the wife is never good. You should, if possible, just agree to disagree on CCW.

#8 · (Edited)
Old Chief,

It is true that arguing with your wife is not good. But, I think that .45forme's wife does not appreciate the fact that him carrying a weapon makes HER safer. I feel for him, as my wife used to always break my shoes for carrying to certain events. Now she just accepts the fact that EVERYWHERE I go, I will be armed.

.45forme,

Don't give up. One day she will accept the fact that you choose to carry for the protection of both of you. Continue to carry no matter how much she protests. Murphy's law always comes into play, and the one day that she gets you to leave your handgun in the truck is (God forbid) the one day that you will need it.

Good luck.

NY27,

#9 ·
True story: There was a case a few years back where a wife was loose about her husband's carrying. One day, a perp walked into a stop-and-rob that they were in, pulled a weapon, and announced a robbery. The wife yelled to her husband to use his weapon, which did not go unnoticed by the perp. A gunfight ensued, but whatever the CCW individual carried only had 5 rounds, all of which missed. After Mr. CCW was empty, the perp just walked over and shot him in the head, killing him.

My wife let my CCW slip twice in casual conversation when I first started. I instructed her to just forget the fact that I carry and let me make the tactical decisions, which she is more than happy to do. She's a wonderful woman, pleased that I care enough to take real protective measures seriously.

#10 ·
Polar Bear,park carry state or other wise is a no, no. These parks are controlled by the state and rules and regs are enforced by the state, and I won't even go into why you can't carry in Fed parks you already know. Secondly every park I have been in have signs that state no weapons. The reason being is they are considered gathering places. I know that sounds crazy. I know in the Charlotte area Police love to do license checks as soon as you leave the park and if they see you wheel out of the park and you are CCW, its over. I hate this rule, because it has kept me from using the walking trails in my local parks. Check the laws for yourself, just trying to be helpful. Also you can check packing.org.

#11 ·
BlueLion said:
Polar Bear,park carry state or other wise is a no, no. These parks are controlled by the state and rules and regs are enforced by the state, and I won't even go into why you can't carry in Fed parks you already know. Secondly every park I have been in have signs that state no weapons. The reason being is they are considered gathering places. I know that sounds crazy. I know in the Charlotte area Police love to do license checks as soon as you leave the park and if they see you wheel out of the park and you are CCW, its over. I hate this rule, because it has kept me from using the walking trails in my local parks. Check the laws for yourself, just trying to be helpful. Also you can check packing.org.
Gotta go with Blue Lion on this one. I don't know of any privately owned parks here in NC. Every one that I know of is state property, which equals no CCW.

#12 · (Edited)
Could someone please direct me to where it says you cannot carry on state owned property?

The only mention of state owned property is in GS 14-269.4 and again in 14-415.11. They list places like Court houses, state offices, police stations, and the gov's mansion that carry is prohibited, but they do not say anything about parks or state land.

Here are the statutes:
§ 14‑269.4. Weapons on State property and in courthouses.

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, or carry, whether openly or concealed, any deadly weapon, not used solely for instructional or officially sanctioned ceremonial purposes in the State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and in any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice. If a court is housed in a building containing nonpublic uses in addition to the court, then this prohibition shall apply only to that portion of the building used for court purposes while the building is being used for court purposes.

This section shall not apply to:

(1) Repealed by S.L. 1997‑238, s. 3.

(1a) A person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b),

(2) through (4) Repealed by S.L. 1997‑238, s. 3.

(4a) Any person in a building housing a court of the General Court of Justice in possession of a weapon for evidentiary purposes, to deliver it to a law‑enforcement agency, or for purposes of registration,

(5) State‑owned rest areas, rest stops along the highways, and State‑owned hunting and fishing reservations.

Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1981, c. 646; 1987, c. 820, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 166; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1997‑238, s. 3.)
§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

(b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, s. 22.1(c); c. 509, s. 135.3(e); 1997, c. 238, s. 6; 2000‑140, s. 103; 2000‑191, s. 5; 2005‑232, s. 3.)
In addition, there are a lot of "parks" that are locally owned by a town or community. Many of these parks DO NOT have any signs or rules about not carrying, and the local "town" laws say nothing about carry.

Again, I do agree that a lot of the "State Parks" have signs at the entrance that prohibit CCW, and this would make them a "no-no" location, but I am unable to find ANY statute that lists parks or state land as off limits for carry.

Could someone please tell me the Statute number or provide a link to where you are getting this information? Until then I still stand by my original statement that says state and local parks are OK unless they have signs posted to prohibit carry in those parks.

#13 ·
BlueLion said:
As you can see by my previous post I have "checked the laws" and cannot find what you are claiming is there.
You also said to "check packing.org". That site also provides no mention of parks or state land being off limits. The following is the list of "off limits places" from packing.org:
Places off-limits while carrying
Date updated: Jul 29, 2005 @ 2:18 pm

Schools, public or private,
all levels including universities. §14-269.2

Assemblies and establishments where
admission was charged. §14-269.3

Assemblies and establishments where
alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14-269.3

State Buildings: State
Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western
Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of
these buildings, and any building housing any court of the
General Court of Justice. §14-269.4

State office buildings or any portion of a
building in which there are State offices. §14-415.11(c)

Law Enforcement or Correctional Facilities.
§14-415.11(c)

Financial Institutions.
§14-415.11(c)

Events Occurring in Public:
It shall be unlawful for any person participating in,
affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any
parade, funeral procession, picket line, or
demonstration upon any private health care
facility or upon any public place owned or under the control
of the State or any of its political subdivisions to
willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access
to any dangerous weapon. §14-277.2

Areas of emergencies or
riots. §14-288.7

Where notice of carrying a
concealed handgun is prohibited by the
posting of a conspicuous notice or statement.
§14-415.11(c)
I hope you are NOT trying to say that GS 14-277.2 is saying that it is a violation to carry in "any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions". If you read the entire statute it says that these places are only "off limits" for "any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration" at said location. So provided there are no parades, demonstrations, etc. then you are OK on these places.

Again I ask anyone to please list a statute or link where I can find information saying that ALL parks or state owned land is off limits for CCW in NC.

IMO, anyone who makes statements about something being legal or illegal should have their facts straight BEFORE making the statement AND be able to provide PROOF to back up said statement.

#14 ·
It will only get me in trouble
That comment about carry is thrown at me by an old buddy - who cannot and will not back down from it - I gave up in the end :rolleyes:

I daresay if a carry gun was used irresponsibly it might of course get someone into trouble - but responsible carry? Sorry, that trouble statement just can't wash.

Hope the NC parks issue can be further clarified for those needing it.

#15 ·
Concealed means concealed. If you must be there, then keep it under wraps. Remember the "judged by 12 ...."
So far as the wife (or any one else) talking about it, that's a security breach and a tough question. Hmm ...maybe time for a new one.
guns ...wife ...guns ...wife ...just kidding, good luck!

#16 ·
PT-111 said:
I think you did just fine and I think your wife is being foolish. She needs to pull her head up out of the sand ...
She needs to pull her head out of that deep, dark cavity where she's got it squeezed. Excuse my "French." :sheep:

Glad everyone's okay.

Such a situation could easily have been something more. And without the ability to defend onesself, it could quickly turn into a massacre. No telling what can happen, out there. A lot of ugly things happen for no apparent reason, and just when you're least expecting anything to occur (nice bbq, weapon set aside temporarily).

#17 ·
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Page 14 of the laws states, " Altough a person may have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, they are not authorized to carry that weapon anywhere they wish. The weapon may not be carried in the following areas:"
  1. any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. SS 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-32.1 (School grounds, area where alcohol is sold and comsumed, STATE PROPERTY, legislative buildings, and public gatherings such as parades.

#18 ·
Todd said:

Page 14 of the laws states, " Altough a person may have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, they are not authorized to carry that weapon anywhere they wish. The weapon may not be carried in the following areas:"
  1. any area prohibited by N.C.G.S. SS 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, or 120-32.1 (School grounds, area where alcohol is sold and comsumed, STATE PROPERTY, legislative buildings, and public gatherings such as parades.
I live in Charlotte and often wounder if you caould carry in local parks i see were it says State Parks but does it say local parks.

Freedom park, Hornet nest park and others

#21 ·
cnova said:
I live in Charlotte and often wounder if you caould carry in local parks i see were it says State Parks but does it say local parks.

Freedom park, Hornet nest park and others
Cnova, I am also in Charlotte and if you go out Statesville Rd. to Nevin park a big State sign greets when you come into the park and it states no concealed weapons. Proper state signage with where to find it in the books. How do I know, well lets say that I showed up to family reunion out there packing and since my home was far away I had to suck it up and carry. I was kinda leery about it but had no choice. Check it for yourself.

#22 ·
Todd said:

Please re-read that page!

You are reading an abbreviated text that refers to statutes 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2, and 120-32.1.

If you read EACH statute listed NONE of them say anything about "state property" being "off limits".

The statutes do list a number of state owned properties that are "off limits", but for the simple fact of brevity, the text you are quoting mentions that list of state owned locations as "state property".

In addition the text you are reading is NOT state law, it is merely a guide to help find the statutes.

If it helps you can go to http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Statutes/Statutes.asp and enter the statute number to read the entire section.
Hope this helps

#23 ·
Thats sad me and my wife go walking there. I have to check it out BlueLion. I will check the next time i go to the park. Thank you for the information.

#24 ·
I am in Texas so I have no idea what the NC law is, but it seems to me that a walking/hiking/running trails are one of the most dangerous places for law abiding citizens to go. Yes there are other areas that have a higher crime rate but most of that crime is BG on BG. Here in Austin (and I don't have exact stats) it seems that BG on innocents happen alot on hike and bike trails.

You guys in NC need to get that law changed.

#25 ·
I am with you as my wife feels the same about carrying as yours does. She always asks if I am carrying and "Do you need to carry today?" Yes I do need to carry. She has gotten to the point that she stopped questioning it and understands that I am going to carry and nothing she says will change that. It is for her and my daughters safety that I carry.

She does not talk about it outside of our home though.

#26 ·
I’m think I will stop posting on this thread now with the thought of agreeing to disagree. I think that those of us that feel it is not allowed to carry on state property are going to keep that same mindset and those who feel that it is OK are also going to keep the same mindset.

I am not a lawyer and am not going to try to interpret each and every statute word by word. I am not going to take the chance and carry on state property and then use the defense of, “Mr. X on Combat Carry said it was OK” if I get caught. I think I will go with what I was taught in my class and what is written in the manual we were given. The instructor of my class has been a LEO since 1976, holds certifications from the NC Education and Training Standards Commission, and is currently an instructor at the NC Justice Academy and is responsible for the certification of all NC Law Enforcement Instructors. I definitely feel that he has the experience to know how the laws have and will be interpreted, and will go with what he has taught me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.