Airport Rules/Almost had a free gun! - Page 2

Airport Rules/Almost had a free gun!

This is a discussion on Airport Rules/Almost had a free gun! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paaiyan I don't think it would have mattered. In OK at least you can carry into the airport, just not into the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Airport Rules/Almost had a free gun!

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I don't think it would have mattered. In OK at least you can carry into the airport, just not into the secured areas.
    Same in Michigan. It's only illegal to take it past the screening area, of course I doubt you could get it past, and I wouldn't even try.

TSA does seem to have a few issues. Several years ago I was flying out of the Raligh SC airport, or one down that way somewhere. There was a TSA Desk/counter area that they must have used as a work area. It was right along one of the concourses. It was just a counter and a few shelves and storage areas. There was also a clothing rack that had a couple of TSA jackets hanging on it.

It would have been real easy for anyone to come along wearing dark slacks and a white shirt, grab a jacket off the rack and walk through the airport posing as a TSA agent. Who's going to stop them going through secuirty or question them searching your bags.

I actually sent an email to TSA when I got home telling them of my concerns. I never got a response back, although for all I know I may now be on the "No Fly" list.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Really weird circumstance; especially since multiple firearms can be secured in a single container. There are no rules that dis-allow locking firearms with knives in a single hard side case. With the exception of factory cases, fitting a derringer into a case with another tool or firearm would be easy; certainly better than giving a firearm to a stranger.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont think it was a gun thing, but a accepting a package from a stranger then flying thing. But I might be just crazy.
    Ding Ding...Winner!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    You probably caught a guy heading to/from BLADE Show. There's always at least one horror story from a knifemaker who lost his entire table's worth of knives to airport thieves... or TSA, since sometimes they're the same thing.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Exactly. The OP is from Fort Lauderdale [Florida, I'm assuming.] The "transaction" was set to take place in Atlanta [Georgia, I'm assuming]. This would have required an FFL [in FL] to be legal, even if Momo the TSA agent didn't know that.
    I think this sounds as close to the truth of the situation as anything we've said in here.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    His name wasn't Danny was it? Sounds like a guy I know. Sounds like something he might do too. He's not too far from Atlanta.
    Didn't say. White guy, 6-1 ish, medium length brown hair and mustache, 45 ish. Very pleasant demeanor. I was worried about the legality of it, but was going to roll the dice that Georgia had a reasonable law... I realize that's a risky assumption, though. I had free gun stars in my eyes....
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Didn't say. White guy, 6-1 ish, medium length brown hair and mustache, 45 ish. Very pleasant demeanor. I was worried about the legality of it, but was going to roll the dice that Georgia had a reasonable law... I realize that's a risky assumption, though. I had free gun stars in my eyes....
    It was federal law that made it illegal, not Georgias law.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    It was federal law that made it illegal, not Georgias law.
    There is no federal law against private citizen gun transactions without FFL. Happens in Virginia every day. Check the web regarding Virginia's so called "gun show loophole". Which really has nothing to do with gun shows or loopholes. It is simply that in Virginia a private citizen can sell their private property to anoter private citizen without FFL or background checks. Private citizens (not dealers) sometimes do this at gun shows. I bought my .44 Magnum from a private citizen 6 months ago at a gun show, folding cash money. He walked in right behind me carrying it. I looked at it, bought it, and then I was carrying it. Right in front of a police officer posted inside the door. All legal begal like.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sounds about right but who knows. They guy I know has taken to making working knives out of old files. Haven't talked to him in years, but ran across his site on facebook. But how many middle aged white guys making knives that also like guns are there?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    There is no federal law against private citizen gun transactions without FFL.
    That's true if both the buyer and seller are citizens of the same state. If you sell to a citizen of another state then it has to go through a ffl in the buyers state.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Bugdude--Nazshooter beat me to it. The key words in your post are "in Virginia." I understand private transactions, as 87.5% of the states I've lived in have allowed them.

In this instance, however, you'll notice the "buyer" was from FL, but the transaction was going down in GA. There's a HUGE difference between intra-state and interstate transaction.

ETA--I believe the reason the Feds base their authority to do this on the "interstate" commerce clause, which would (obviously) not apply intra-state.
    Last edited by Herknav; June 19th, 2011 at 08:07 AM.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Personally, it is bad enough to just go to an airport, it is bad enough to just go to an airport with luggage and it is even worse to just go to an airport with luggage and a firearm. Welcome to our federal government and TSA---the start of tyranny and total incompetence.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have no idea what the legality of that exchange would have been, but I thought it was an odd occurrence I would share with the group. Would have loved to score that free gun though....
    Unless you are an FFL that handgun exchange would have been illegal.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links